It's raining! It's raining!

Diane

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:47 pm
Roger, has the drought affected the ranchers in NM? My cousin has a little ranch in Beulah, CO and knows several ranchers who have had to sell all their stock--some have even lost their ranches because the drought was so severe.
BTW, your part of NM is truly God's country.

Msolga, isn't it fun to dance in the rain? Even though rain isn't so rare here, I still get excited when it comes down. That old feeling never seems to go away.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:53 pm
It hasn't been that bad in my area, Diane. Our ranchers have always depended more on irrigation than rainfall. Our little Animas River ran dry, but that's just upstream from its junction with the San Juan.
And upstream from town, there was at least some water available for irrigation. There would have been some flow through town except for that.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:01 pm
Laughing Diane, yes it is great fun!

Anybody want to play in the puddles?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:17 pm
Laughing Diane, yes it is great fun!

Anybody want to play in the puddles?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:11 pm
Dear all of you,

Thank you for sharing your rain dances, joining in my thankfulness for an unexpected downpour & for telling us all about your flora & fauna & how important rain is.
I thoroughly enjoyed it! Very Happy

But, but ... I'm moving house in 2 weeks & I must stop this (extended) type of A2k activity till after then. Crying or Very sad My life & sanity depends on it! Rolling Eyes (Very reckless to take so much time out from these mundane tasks yesterday ... But hell, it felt I whole lot better than what I should have been doing!)
But the rain was so wonderful I had to tell the world!
Today it's gone again! Sad

So feel free to carry on this conversation amongst yourselves ... I'll steal some time from my chores to listen.

And keep those rain (& mud) dances coming! Every little dance helps!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:18 pm
Just heard, ice is forming here, brrrrrrr!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 04:12 pm
First the good news:

It's raining in Melbourne again! It feels like winter! Your rain dance spells are still working. Very powerful, they were! Very Happy

Now for the bad news from Oz. Awful bushfires in Sydney! Sad
Horrendous situation. Could we please have a few VERY POWERFUL rain dances (& fire extinguishing spells) for the folks up there?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 04:16 pm
Not just the folks up there, but also the animals & wildlife who always suffer in bushfires.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:33 pm
<dancingdancingdancing>
Bush fires in Sydney AGAIN! Holy cow!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:58 pm
http://www.millan.net/minimations/duck.gif

rain dance

rain dance

raining yet?
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:01 pm
Australia has had some terrible bush fires in the past few yrs. Now as a Canadian that lives in the province of B.C., also in the rare commercial fruit growing area of B.C. called the Okanagan Valley, we also have a lot of pine forests & fires are a problem to us as well.
Anyway enjoy your rain for it is close to being the end of Spring & into early Summer for you or I could be wrong on that thought.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
Yeah! Yippee!! Puttin' on the dancin' duds for more rain!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 11:50 pm
Oh thank you, my dears, for such splendid rain dancing efforts.
I must report, though, that it's working like a dream in Melbourne, while Sydney is trying, trying, trying ...
Apparently it would help if the wind stopped fanning the flames AS WELL as bucket loads of moisture materializing from the skies .... Any such thing as a "tame the wind" dance, or chant, maybe? Anyone know one?

This is all pretty frightening, it's nowhere near high summer yet & out of control bushfires already! What a summer it's going to be! (& Roberta says it's snowing in NYC! ... Hey, we've got everything at once, right now ..)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 12:27 am
Smitty

West Canada! Hey, tell us more!
You're right ... Very early summer here in the southern hemisphere. While we need rain because of the ongoing drought, it can also creat problems: rapant & sudden growth of plants & grasses which dry out vey quickly on hot days .... Creating more fodder for the bushfires <sigh>

(this will make you smile, Smitty. The spellcheck suggested "smutty" as an alternative to your name! Laughing )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 12:29 am
ehBeth

That was such a sweet rain dance! Delightful.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:13 am
a 'tame the wind dance'? i'll have to try to work out something good and twirly
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 03:42 pm
ehBeth

Oh yes, DO!
Any more with that little chicken critter, maybe?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 04:10 pm
I'll see what I can come up with, but don't hold your breath. These improvisions don't always work. One hot summer they offered to do a rain dance if I would sing Jingle Bells. It was supposed to make it snow. I later found out the Navajo don't even have a rain dance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:01 pm
http://www.millan.net/anims/giffar/giffar2/polarcanada.gif

maybe he ^^^ can cool things off waving his little canajun flag!
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:59 am
msolga: I have lived in all provinces of Western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Albert & now B.C.). Brought up in cities, but cannot stand crowded areas or people. Banff, Alberta was a good 9 yrs, but moved to this not so fast moving area.
Almost semi-desert like terrain, but with lakes & water all the time PLUS basically mild winters we can grow fruit of cherries, apricots (fact is this is the only commercial apricot growing area in Cdn), peaches, pears, plums, apples & grapes. Summers are a burst of July to August with around 40-45C, but come September it cools off especially in the evening & so giving colour to the apples. While October is simply amazing due to the change in the colour of the leaves & finally signs of winter in November through till end of February & one is looking for Spring in March.
We have what people call mountains, but being from Banff I call them hills still many are 7000' to higher & they collect a lot of snow for skiing & our resivors of water, for we do have long lakes (3 to 4 miles wide & 100 plus miles long to some being shorter) we prefer not to use that for home use.
There are other things, but feel this is the best spot in Canada.
0 Replies