So what is a "Redneck"

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think I gave a clear distinction. I don't think you really see the point I was making, and like I implied by saying I initially agreed with you, I think you have a point... to a point. Yes, being called a redneck would probably be offensive especially if you didn't think you were. But so would being called "working class" if you thought you weren't.

Would you rally to the defense of bastards? You seem happy to use the word in the context of "lying bastard democrats" without any evidence of their actual parentage. Don't you think using the term bastards is offensive to actual bastards?

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
While I'm sure that there are plenty of people who think using "Redneck" is cute, I'm also sure that there are plenty of people who used to think using "colored" or even "nigger" was cute.

Woah, you're missing this point in a big way!

Allow me to repeat myself: Nobody, and I mean Nobody at All, puts those other words on their vehicles.

Many people, in my (rural) area, proudly put "Redneck" or "Redneck Woman" on their vehicles.

D0 you not see the difference, at all?
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:26 pm
@BorisKitten,
You're beating a dead horse, BK. Finn has made an absolute career out of missing perfectly valid, perfectly obvious points.

Once and for all -- "colored' and "nigger" are ethnic slurs. "Redneck" is a (sometimes) derogatory comment on lifestyle.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:49 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I think I gave a clear distinction. I don't think you really see the point I was making, and like I implied by saying I initially agreed with you, I think you have a point... to a point. Yes, being called a redneck would probably be offensive especially if you didn't think you were. But so would being called "working class" if you thought you weren't.

Would you rally to the defense of bastards? You seem happy to use the word in the context of "lying bastard democrats" without any evidence of their actual parentage. Don't you think using the term bastards is offensive to actual bastards?
Remember the Battling Bastards of Bastogne ?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:38 am
I have heard that they go to family reunions
to pick up girls
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm

Abbie:
During the Civil War (1861 to 1865), and the time leading up to it,
there was hatred for the Southern enemy among Northerners,
as is to be expected in all wars. The Northern army of occupation,
committed horrible brutality upon innocent Southern civilians
(e.g., cutting some old ladies's throats, etc.). Part of this hatred
was manifested in defaming & vilifying the enemy population
and some of this ill will still remains. A lot of it is class warfare,
in that the old, Original American philosophy of personal liberty
and of Individualism remained, resisting later Northern collectivist ideas,
which was disliked by collectivists of the North. No Southerner is
accused of being a Redneck if he is a leftist, so far as I know.
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Does anyone else automatically think "BORG!" when David says "Collective?"
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@BorisKitten,
Careful, BK. First t was Finn d'Abuzz. Now you seem to be paying attention to what David says and perhaps even taking him seriously.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:33 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:
Does anyone else automatically think "BORG!" when David says "Collective?"
Thay SHOUD; that 's a good example of the ideal of collectivism.
"Authority from the top down;
obedience from the bottom up." A. Hitler (when he was at the top)
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:44 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Careful, BK. First t was Finn d'Abuzz. Now you seem to be paying attention to what David says and perhaps even taking him seriously.

Laughing! I donna think my Star Trek reminders are all that serious.

You will be assimilated

And Finn is Funn, don't you think?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:00 pm
Answering someone back there a few pages ago, finn, perhaps, I don't think having a red neck from earthly toil is a ticket to any kind of opinion or belief, liberal (consider Caesar Chavez) or otherwise (include your choice of dismay). I do see a connection to some liberal bandwagons as a kind of upper middle class luxury, but I can find near infinite examples of the opposite.

I take the redneck categorizing as I do much other categorizing, and once in a while it's funny (after all, people make fun of libruls all day and all night long), but mostly not all that funny.

I'm not so sure of my ground here though, in that we are not a homogenous mass as humans and our various tendencies as groups are worth studying, even as they change over time, even over the time of a well done research paper. And they're worth enjoying, as long as opportunity is not closed to people with, say, exceptionally curly eyelashes.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
@BorisKitten,
You seem incapable of understanding that derided people will often, as a defensive tactic, embrace the derogatory terms used against them.

The obvious example is the use of the term nigger within the African-American community.

When Richard Pryor referred to a fellow black as "nigger," do you think he was saying "Hey you slave, you less than human individual, you over-sexed buck!"

Do you think when gay activists refer to themselves as "Queer," that they are acknowledging they are the unnatural degenerates the people who use the term derisively imply?

For some reason you seem to have an unswerving faith in the true revelation of bumper stickers and their application to an entire group of people.

Do you really think that someone with a "Proud to be a Redneck!" bumper sticker is saying "I'm proud to be an incestuous, toothless racist!"

Redneck jokes can be funny, but so can Italian, Polish, Gay and Black jokes.

So what?

Drawing artificial distinctions between terms of derision is intellectually dishonest, particularly when the reason for doing so is to allow sanctimonious liberals to indulge in deriding their targets of choice.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:19 pm
As a total aside, the 2010 Census asks for "race."
One choice is "Black, African American, Negro."
That has set off a bit of a row. Some condemn the use of the word "Negro."
The Census Bureau claims that last time around (2000) a fair number (unquantified) of Blacks wrote in "Negro."
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry

Why am I not surprised that someone who defends the use of an ugly derisive name when it comports with his own bias would find it difficult to take me on in a direct fashion.

Your contention is, frankly, idiotic.

Nigger and colored are "ethnic" slurs and so are bad...

Redneck is a lifestyle slur and so is OK

Thus "Fag," "Fudgepacker," "Homo," et al are OK

And ethnic slurs are always derogatory when lifestyle slurs are only "sometimes" derogatory.

Thus, when blacks use "nigger" it is always derogatory, but when Merry uses "redneck," it is not.

You're a hypocrite.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:06 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

As a total aside, the 2010 Census asks for "race."
One choice is "Black, African American, Negro."
That has set off a bit of a row. Some condemn the use of the word "Negro."
The Census Bureau claims that last time around (2000) a fair number (unquantified) of Blacks wrote in "Negro."
The Spanish word for black is negro.
Its a duplication.
0 Replies