Just to keep the conversation going:

Merry wrote:
What is the pont?

Which one, Andrew?

Pont
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@Francis,
It's very early in the morning here, Francis. My fingertips are not yet awake.

Happy New Year!
Francis

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:21 am
@Merry Andrew,
Happy New Year for you and S!!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Not always the case, but generally "Redneck" is a label liberals are quite fond of using.

Support capital punishment --- Redneck
Believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God --- Redneck
Unhappy with growing entitlement programs --- Redneck
Think Obama is a lousy president --- Redneck and racist to boot
Enjoy beer and chewing tobacco --- Redneck
Drive a pickup truck --- Redneck
Wear a mullet ---Redneck

Etc, etc, etc

Somehow referring to another American as a "redneck" can be
acceptible while referring to them as a "nigger," "kike," "pinko," "fag" etc is not.

Interesting.

Do all liberals sneer at Rednecks? No, but most do.

This is very interesting because what is the Southern "Redneck" but the Southern workingman?
Aren't liberals all about the workingman?

Maybe because Unions have had a tough time setting down stakes in the South,
the Southern workingman is a figure of derision rather than heroism.

What is really interesting is that the Northern workingman
is really quite similar to the Southern workingman
and their necks get sun burned as well.

Interesting.

Your points r well taken Find Abuzz;
in addition, a redneck is exposed to ridicule
for having a limited education.

Liberals also accuse them of incest.

Note that if any redneck changed his mind
and repudiated original American thought
choosing in favor of liberalism,
then he 'd instantly lose his redneck status.

Rednecks favor freedom of the INDIVIDUAL,
not collectivism

David
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 12:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Liberals do these things out of self protection. Just listen in to some redneck conversations, if you don't know.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Somehow referring to another American as a "redneck" can be acceptible while referring to them as a "nigger," "kike," "pinko," "fag" etc is not.

Around these parts, people proudly call themselves Rednecks. They have it printed on their trucks. No, really! They do!
BorisKitten

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 12:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
...poised behind the truck steering wheel, one big doberman, about eighteen inches from me.

He was staring straight ahead.

That'll always be a memory.

Yikes!

Did he, um, notice you???

You really can't be a Redneck without at least one large dog, preferably several. It's against the rules, y'know.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 01:09 pm
@BorisKitten,
Rednecks have hound dogs. Them dobies don't hunt around here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:09 pm
I was raised by a pack of rednecks and lots of my friends proudly call themselves rednecks. My one brother and one of my sisters are as redneck-ed (not nekkid) as one can be. The other sister is mostly red but shows signs of fading into pink as she ages.

I love lots of things that rednecks love, hate lots of other things they love. I don't think of it as a pejorative -- but I wouldn't call it a complement either. It's different things to different people, but mostly it's Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet America.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Support capital punishment --- Redneck
Believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God --- Redneck
Unhappy with growing entitlement programs --- Redneck
Think Obama is a lousy president --- Redneck and racist to boot
Enjoy beer and chewing tobacco --- Redneck
Drive a pickup truck --- Redneck
Wear a mullet ---Redneck

Well, I'd say most (maybe all) rednecks have those traits but I wouldn't say the inverse is true -- that anyone thinking/espousing those ideas is automatically a redneck.

I know lots of folks who think that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who wouldn't come close to being considered rednecks. Same for concerns about growing deficits or driving a pickup truck (especially if it's not a Ford). I'll give you the one on mullets though -- that's a pretty sure fire way to show the color of your neck.

edit -- just noticed this was hit as a response to David when it should have been Finn.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Liberals also accuse them of incest.

I'd have to say that most of the incest that occurred in my part of the country was indeed within the redneck population. Pregnancy by one's brother/uncle around the age of 14 was not uncommon up in the northeast kingdom.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
@BorisKitten,
Yes, Boris Kitten, he had noticed me. He knew me quite well, often being with us at work in our studio, but I had certainly surprised him when I climbed in the truck and slouched with my book. When I did notice him, he was quaking a little bit while waiting for my business partner to arrive back and rescue him.... I talked with him some and he relaxed ever so minutely. I've never been afraid of any of her dobies, 'cept maybe the first rescued one a bit.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:32 pm
It's interesting to note that Finn accuses so-called Liberals of calling people who lead a dubious life-style 'Rednecks' in a pejorative sense whereas a number of people on this thread have indicated -- quite rightly -- that quite a few folks display the 'Redneck' label proudly. So who is accusing whom of elitism here?
JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:39 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

If you let your 13 year old daughter smoke at the dinner table, in front of her children; you might be a redneck...

HA! I love it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Jeff Foxworthy yet.

Indeed. I think he single-handedly defined rednecks for the rest of the world.

The one that stuck with me...
"You might be a redneck if... your family tree don't fork"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:41 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

It's interesting to note that Finn accuses so-called Liberals of calling people who lead a dubious life-style 'Rednecks' in a pejorative sense whereas a number of people on this thread have indicated -- quite rightly -- that quite a few folks display the 'Redneck' label proudly. So who is accusing whom of elitism here?
A southern liberal will not be accused
by any northerners of being a redneck,
ANYTHING else to the contrary notwithstanding.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

A southern liberal will not be accused
by any northerners of being a redneck.

It has already happened on this very thread.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:08 pm
@BorisKitten,
There is a school of thought that suggests the best response to the use of a generalized insult (e.g. Nigger or Redneck) is to embrace it and seize it as your own.

This is why you will see some people sporting "Proud to be a Redneck" bumper stickers. They certainly are not admitting to and exulting in the numerous practices and traits elitists ascribe to them: i.e. Incest, ignorance, bigotry, non-existent personal hygiene etc.

Just as African-Americans who refer to one another as "nigger" are not about to tolerate the word's use by those who hold them in poor regard, neither will the Southern workingmen who take pride in the Redneck label. If you think otherwise, walk into a bar in any small Southern town wearing skinny jeans, an Obama button, and a Chaps shirt and yell out "Hey you all Rednecks, is your mother also your aunt?"

All y'all liberals (so-called and otherwise) just keep on trying to make the case that ignorant, toothless, sister-banging Rednecks really do exist but lazy, fried-chicken loving, crack smoking blacks are a horrid stereotype as are promiscuous, gay pedophiles, pushy big nosed Jews and insane murderous muslims.

The truly sophisticated will get the difference.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, so many things to think about here.

Let me point out one fact first: I lived in Tampa, FL (a fine place), then Sarasota, FL for 10 years each. I've now lived in Rural Northern FL for 10+ years.

I have to tell you, I felt much more antagonism in Sarasota (because I was not wealthy) than I've ever felt here, in Rural Nowhere FL (because I'm not a Redneck).

Thus I've been much more harangued for being Poor in FL than I've ever felt for not-being-a-Redneck in FL.

I could, in fact, safely walk into said "Redneck Bar" and state what you suggest, and feel quite safe:

Why? Because so-called Rednecks judge and accept (or don't) the person they SEE before them.

(I may not have mentioned that my husband plays in a band, so I have, in fact, been in many of these bars, over the years.)

They are NOT that stupid. I think they would laugh at me, knowing I was joking, and offer to buy me a beer. I really do.

They have never, in 11 years, harassed me. I cannot say the same for wealthy Sarasotans.

As much as I dislike "defending" a social group who's values I do NOT agree with, I must tell you, my own experiences do not agree with your judgments.

These people are truly proud to be Rednecks. There are several (US, Country) songs which encourage their self-esteem.

When was the last time you saw a bumper sticker that read, "Proud to be a Nigger," or "Proud to be a Fag,"?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:53 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
"You might be a redneck if... your family tree don't fork"

I always liked this one: "You might be a Redneck if... your house is more mobile than your car."