Chest pain when eating rice.

lcc0773

Tue 2 Jul, 2013 03:41 pm
@shamaa,
i see its not just me. this happens every time i eat chinease rice unless i chew very very slow. its very painful and im scare to drink water because it may hurt even worse. i can only suffer it thru untill it goes down. its awful.
0 Replies

krabbeman

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 11:24 am
@susief,
Thank you, me too! It's kinda painful while it goes down, but good to knowI love my Shrimp fried rice
0 Replies

krabbeman

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 11:29 am
@katheincentral65,
Oh My heart goes out to ya, I know I can't give up my shrimp fried rice either
0 Replies

krabbeman

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 11:43 am
@Ceili,
me too!
0 Replies

krabbeman

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 11:53 am
@spunk61,
This can be a scary thing, I know when it happens to me, I live alone, and in the city I get Chinese food often, when I stay at the house I'm too far away from anyone to help, it can be frightening cause it's similar to choking in that the pain emanates from what "feels like the wind pipe neighborhood", and it is cause for concern. I have found that hot coffee worked better than my cold water, ? who knows. Thanks for all of your input though

0 Replies

james fraser5

Fri 17 Jan, 2014 03:44 am
@susief,
you could be suffering from Anaphylaxis as the symptoms you are facing and symptoms of this disease are very similar
symptoms are - Get yourself consulted with a doctor soon.
• Abdominal pain
• Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds
• Anxiety
• Chest discomfort or tightness
• Cough
• Diarrhea
• Difficulty breathing
• Difficulty swallowing
• Dizziness or light-headedness
• Hives, itchiness
nosetoeknee

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 04:42 am
@alcemena12,
I have exactly the same thing.. thought at first I was having a heart attack. It started in my thirties (I am now 47) and it took a while to put two and two together but it rice of any kind definitely sets it off. For me, drinking something bubbly like sparkling water does the trick. BELCHING takes the pressure off the chest and abdomen. Hope this helps..
0 Replies

nosetoeknee

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 04:49 am
I find when I have that problem, belching is the only thing that helps. Drinking sparkling water which I always have on hand now helps me to burp out the pain lodged in my chest from eating rice.
0 Replies

Hutton1234

Fri 31 Jan, 2014 02:38 am
@spunk61,
Yeh bad episode last night - just like you say having a drink to clear it seemed to make it worse - as if the rice was swelling - painful, frightening with reflux too - only when swallowing rice sometimes. I reckon I swallowed too much too fast. But the rice didn't seem to be cooked thoroughly
0 Replies

Chulio

Wed 12 Feb, 2014 04:52 pm
@james fraser5,
I don't want to stop anyone from getting the proper diagnosis but I don't think it is Anaphylaxis. I had this issue my entire life and I just have to eat rice very slowly and make sure it is cooked well. For those who never felt it, the closest thing you could equate it to is when eating white bread or peanut butter and you have to do the big painful swallow to get past it. My DR said that rice often expands and that is why fluids make it worse. It does not effect your breathing but many people panic and then all kinds of symptoms are open to happen.
Eat slow and relax

0 Replies

cawestwood

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:31 am
@engineer,
Yes, it is weird and bummed out....I love rice! Ugh!!!!!
0 Replies

cawestwood

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes, I have the exact problem! I sometimes get sick.....right after I eat the rice...then I am fine....it is so weird!
0 Replies

cawestwood

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:35 am
@Pat Reed 03,
Well, I have a thyroid condition ...had a goiter but it was killed after radioactive iodine treatment years ago. I do take synthroid, so why am I having issues?
0 Replies

cawestwood

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:36 am
@katheincentral65,
Ditto exactly .....I love rice! ugh! I will try to crew it up better.....I was wondering what the heck was up with getting sick?????
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:38 am
Quote:
Susief said: When I eat rice, I have a tightening in the middle of my chest. I have a really hard time swallowing until the pain and tightening passes

I sometimes have the same problem when eating baked potatoes, the muscles of my gullet tighten up because they can't get a proper grip on the dry mush.
A sip of water usually frees the blockage, but in one bad case I had to take a sip of cooking oil to smooth the mushes progress.
The solution seems to be to chew our rice or taters more and not to try swallowing them dry.
0 Replies

cawestwood

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:38 am
@alcemena12,
Yes, I tend to either get sick or make myself get sick...otherwise I feel there is a lump in my throat...also I get the hiccups...so annoying!
0 Replies

cawestwood

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:41 am
@susief,
It seems there are plenty of us out there....that get sick while eating rice. Phew. I thought I was the only one?
0 Replies

nazia08

Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:24 am
I'm not a doctor, at least not a practicing doctor and I don't even play one on TV.....but I will confirm what you already know......don't eat rice for now. Substitute it with another grain or breads until you find out what is causing this.
0 Replies

spinecare01

Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:06 pm
@susief,
Rice often cause that. In fact my cousin had the same problem
0 Replies

pfrey

Mon 28 Apr, 2014 05:52 pm
I have the rice reaction too but mine is really weird. I only had the sticking sensation when I ate leftover rice. The first time I eat it I am ok but if I eat leftovers the next day I have the reaction. I have been free of this for 2 years now until tonight. I have been on a wheat free diet so I made a dish with rice flour in it. I immediately had the beef with the rice flour in it and got the chest pain and inability to swallow.
Can any one explain this?
0 Replies