The Algonquin it ain't: or "I don't like RUNNING zombies."

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
It occurs to me that there has been a shift in my enjoyment of lunches where I work.

I was very unhappy at first: lunch conversations seemed to consist entirely of fashion, gossip magazine crap and baby names. (There were 7 pregnancies in my first year in my current workplace.)

Now.....it's fine to talk about those things, but personally, I would rather listen to Vogon poetry!

The other day I noticed there has been a big shift...because we ended up talking about zombies!

It came up because we were discussing teenage girls and the Twilight thing. Much pooh-poohing of vampirephiles was occurring, and I stood up for them to the extent that I really enjoy True Blood.

I happened to know that one of the vampire pooh-poohers likes zombies, and said so.

"Only walking ones" she said...."I don't like them when they are runniong."

Much hilarity ensued as the reasons for this were discussed.

Do you have fun lunch time conversations where you work?

Is there much hilarity? or serious and fascinating discussions?

I will write about the odd ridiculous conversation we have here....but I'd love to hear yours!

Digression encouraged.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:59 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Now.....it's fine to talk about those things, but personally, I would rather listen to Vogon poetry!

Fine! If that's what you really want?!
Quote:
See, see the distant sky
Marvel at its big fuschia depths.
Tell me, djjd do you
Wonder why the wombat ignores you?
Why its foobly stare
makes you feel groggy.
I can tell you, it is
Worried by your zwarbeshkarootatilla facial growth
That looks like
A gallon of 1% milk.
What's more, it knows
Your syncophant potting shed
Smells of pickle.
Everything under the big distant sky
Asks why, why do you even bother?
You only charm Limburg cheeses.

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 07:09 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Do you have fun lunch time conversations where you work?

Is there much hilarity? or serious and fascinating discussions?

Sad to say, none of the above, Deb.

It's usually about work, or you're working as you eat.

Now how boring is that?! Neutral

So I'm looking forward to hearing from the hilarious & fascinating lunchers!
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 07:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I am provoked.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 07:25 pm
@msolga,
Well, damn. What a pity.

We do a fair bit of debriefing and such...but that's not suitable for A2k tender ears!!!!

This morning (after Allocation) was:

The Crack in CAC

We were discussing going off to remote places to work, and comparing small aircraft/country air strips war stories.

One of our new staff (who comes from another state) won the prize.

Her agency had chartered a small plane to fly into a remote community situated on an island.

You practically sit on the pilot's lap in those tiny planes, so the team were involved in lots of lively discussion with the pilot about this and that.

The pilot was clearly having a great time because.....

wait for it.......

can you guess?...............

He forgot to put the wheels down for landing!!!!!!!!!

As they were bellying down the runway, all thinking they were going to die.....the pilot could be heard saying mournfully: "They're going to kill me for this."

Amazingly, there were only a few scrapes and bruises, and they went on and did the work they had come to do.

This of course, led to discussion of Awful Airlines, like CAC and Garuda, and the Russian airline...(what's its name again?)

One of our doctors then happily recounted the reason why a CAC Boeing fell apart in the air, killing over three hundred, ...and it was because cracks in the fuselage were covered by a steel plate on the plane's...er....well bottom. Apparently Boeing found these planes were prone to scraping their bums a bit upon landing, and recommended that steel plates be affixed to said bum.

In this case, the nappy covered the cracks, which then migrated in flight.

This THEN led to a discussion of how much you would feel in such a situation, and whether you would be conscious until the ground smashed you to smithereens, or if you would lose consciousness from lack of oxygen.

Those about to fly off for Christmas left looking green.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:17 pm
@dlowan,
I never worked in an environment that fostered such noteworthy at-work based discussions.

Quote:
going off to remote places to work, and comparing small aircraft/country air strips war stories.

Dearest bunny? What do you do again... occupation wise? Listening with doe eyed anticipation! Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:23 pm
@dlowan,
I've just read your first two sentences and have lots to say, laughing in sorrow as I speak.
sullyfish6

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:36 pm
Here's just some of the lunch talk - 2 or 3 women. Subject matter changes if man joins us;
recipes
men's body types
raising teenagers
death of parents
death of spouse
pruning schedules for shrubs
men not living up to their potential
remodeling

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:47 pm
There is a woman whom I've known from school that I at one point promoted as a new designer for us, and she was hired. We had a major tiff sometime later, and resolved it, now long time friends. However, back in the beginning,
we used to eat lunch often as a group. Her favorite conversation was about Hulk Hogan and Jesse the Body Ventura, world wide wrestling or something. Next was Disneyland, the commonality being that she liked family entertainment type things, in contrast to me who liked odd foreign movies, etc., but never got a word in. The boss seemingly was interested in all that wrestling talk too. It would last an amazing amount of time, over and over and over again. I dealt with all this by starting to bring a snack and going for a long walk w/snack, thus improving my health and mental well being while not exploding.

Alternately, my later business partner and I would go out for lunch every ten days to two weeks, had a glass of wine with it, talked about anything and everything. One time we skipped out and watched a horse race mid afternoon (we both like horses, from different points of view) at the local old timey bar.

Lunches I didn't like were back in the land arch field where purveyors of, say, sprinkler systems, would come and bring lunch for us and talk an hour. I never wanted that lunch, always presented as this great favor. Also didn't want to blow my oh so precious lunch time - what with all the extra hours I worked - when I could be out walking, when I could well enough read the material on the system and call if I had a simple question.

Ah, well, we never did get to vampires..
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
But it's better now!!! I have to say I just couldn't take it when I first came here.

I had never been anywhere where I was bored at lunchtime before.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:51 pm
@sullyfish6,
I love those free-wheeling conversations.

How do they change when the mins come?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Aarrrggghhhhh.........poor you.

Vampires was a first for us, too! But I knew there was a zombie thing whispering in the background!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:01 pm
@dlowan,
Imagine my surprise when Jesse the Body ran for governor (Minnesota, I think).
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
So...Jesse the Body had a head, too?

Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:33 pm
@dlowan,
Apparently, though I didn't follow his career as governor..

Seems interesting -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura
0 Replies