Air jet bathtubs ... what good do they provide?

Mame

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
Okay, we're now renovating our ensuite bathroom and are deciding on whether to get a standard tub vs an air jet tub. Does anyone here know any particular benefits to buying the air jet (not the whirlpool) model? We're considering the air jet because we're getting older and thought it might be more therapeutic in the long run, but I don't really have any idea whether this might be true. Will there be problems with the pump, for example? Are there better models to buy? Decisions, decisions...

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 7,824 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

Green Witch

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:16 pm
@Mame,
I'm not a fan. They make me think I'm sitting next to an outboard motor, but maybe that's just me. There is seems to be a safety issue with people prone to blood clots, strokes, heart attacks and bone fractures. Apparently the force of the water can dislodge clots and even damage bones if someone has a medical history of such problems.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:09 pm
@Mame,
The fewer moving parts something has, the less likely it is to break.
dadpad

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:16 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The fewer moving parts something has, the less likely it is to break.

Thats worth repeating.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:26 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Okay, we're now renovating our ensuite bathroom and are deciding on whether to get a standard tub vs an air jet tub. Does anyone here know any particular benefits to buying the air jet (not the whirlpool) model? We're considering the air jet because we're getting older and thought it might be more therapeutic in the long run, but I don't really have any idea whether this might be true. Will there be problems with the pump, for example? Are there better models to buy? Decisions, decisions...

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:28 pm
@Mame,
Sorry, I replied too fast.

Air jet is new to me, who used to follow all this spa/yada yada/ofuro/yada stuff.

Off hand, air might annoy me, probably would, but I've not seen a demonstration.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:39 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Does anyone here know any particular benefits to buying the air jet (not the whirlpool) model?

It could cool your nice hot bath water before you'd had a chance to sit down.
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:26 am
From what I've been told (by salesmen, so divide by 50), the pump heats the air before it gets to the tub, so the water doesn't cool down. And in the models we are considering, the holes are tiny, so noise and force aren't an issue. We saw one working.

I guess I need to read more reviews.

Thank you all.
roger

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:01 am
@Mame,
Sounds like all those little air bubbles could decrease the bouyancy of the water. I would be very careful.
Mame

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:12 pm
@roger,
Careful about what, exactly? Not sure how it could be dangerous. The jets are all at the bottom side of the tub walls, hitting your legs, or the bottom side of them.

Merry Christmas to you, you fine looking rat.
DrewDad

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:14 pm
I suspect this is a feature aimed at the fairer sex...

...so to speak.
Mame

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:32 pm
@DrewDad,
Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:51 pm
@Mame,
Just don't want you to sink, is all I'm saying. They've run into problems with kayaks and canoes, you know. They have lots of freeboard on flat water, but when the hit the frothy whitewater, down she goes..
0 Replies

Adorna

Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
I've had one for many years. In the beginning it was great. They say that it is supposed to be far superior to the water jet, because the jets are purged after every use. Well... that just is not 100% true. There is no way that the jets can totally dry out when they are purged. Over time gunk builds up. Who know's what is lurking in these cold damp dark tiny holes? All I know is that I started to notice residue in my tub water after a bath. Needless to say I will no longer use the tub. Thankfully, we still have an old porcelain tub. I can scrub the hell out of that.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 10 Jan, 2010 07:24 pm
We bought a soaker, (normal) not the air or water jet, in the end. Smile
Reyn

Sun 10 Jan, 2010 09:18 pm
@Mame,
You are a wise and sensible person, Mame. Wink
Mame

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 10:35 am
@Reyn,
heh heh
0 Replies

Or

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:35 am
We bought a house with a jetted tub, and I hate it. The water sloshes into the interior pipes even when the jets aren't being used, and you can't clean inside there. The idea of it is just disgusting. We will be removing it soon, but it means a whole bathroom remodel.
Ragman

Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:38 am
@Or,
FYI, in the future you might want to check date-stamps when you reply. This thread has been inactive for 5 years so you're not likely to get responses on an old thread.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Air jet bathtubs ... what good do they provide?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 01:39:33