tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
What a stinker!! Doesn't live up to the hype. I rated Titanic a 3/10 at IMDb.com. Avatar with its gets by with its marvelous visuals with a 4/10.

I spent most of the movie waiting for this to happen to Pandora annihilating both humans and Na'vi alike:
http://space.alglobus.net/Basics/whyImages/asteroid_strike.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'm not going to ask for my money back if I end up hating it. However, I will be asking those individuals who repeatedly implored me to see the film in the theaters to commit seppuku! Mad

I expect prompt ritual suicides in at least 2 weeks! Confused
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:42 pm
haha plot over effect for you I take it? But I do agree. Visual effects withstanding, it is not worth the watch.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
What a stinker!! Doesn't live up to the hype.

Welcome to the edge of the bell curve. We are definitely not part of the "mainstream" movie audience. Despite our opinions, the population as a whole has spoken clearly, and they like it.
Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:59 pm
@rosborne979,
it's all about the visual effects. put a puppet show in 3D and you'll get the same thing.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:02 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
it's all about the visual effects. put a puppet show in 3D and you'll get the same thing.

I don't think so. There have been lots of 3D movies lately and none had an impact like this one did. Something is unique about Avatar, and it certainly isn't the basic story.
Seed

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:05 pm
@rosborne979,
ok I am sorry. Let me rephrase. You spend the money and take the time to create new equipment to put a puppet show in 3D and you will get that turn out. I think it is more what he has done to make this film that has made people love it so.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
ok I am sorry. Let me rephrase. You spend the money and take the time to create new equipment to put a puppet show in 3D and you will get that turn out. I think it is more what he has done to make this film that has made people love it so.

I think it's a winning combination of 10% story, 10% Genre (Sci-Fi/Action/Drama), 30% New Technology, and 50% mega-hype.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:25 am
People in China will have a less chances to seeing the film:
Quote:
As Avatar fast becomes the new Titanic at the box office and the new Slumdog Millionaire on the awards circuit, there's finally some bad news for James Cameron's 3-D space adventure: China is pulling the film from 1,600 2-D screens this week (it'll still play on 900 3-D ones) in favor of a Confucius biopic starring Chow-Yun Fat. Hong Kong paper Apple Daily says officials there are worried that Avatar is stealing too much market share from homegrown films, and that the parts about the forced eviction of the Na'Vi from Home Tree might resonate with citizens forcefully evicted by the Chinese government (make sense). Some Beijing-based media consultant, though, tells the L.A. Times that this probably has more to do with preparations for the upcoming celebration of Chinese New Year on February 14. Either way, it means slightly less money for the HMFIC.

Read more: Avatar Kills a Guy, Gets Pulled From Chinese Theaters -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/avatar_kills_a_guy_gets_pulled.html?mid=agenda--20100119#comment_list_bottom#ixzz0dAcklM6F
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:52 pm
Just thought this was interesting. The most profitable movie of all time...
Quote:

1.The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Budget: $35,000
Box Office Revenue: $248,300,000
Budget/Revenue Ratio: 1:7094
There are only three things that stick in my mind about Blair Witch: tedious forest rambles, the leading lady’s snot and, most vivdly, the unremitting barrage of hype that turned a resourcefully-produced, no-budget horror into a ground-breaking global hit that went on to make over 7,000 times what it cost to produce.

Like many of the movies on this list the marketing costs far outweighed the production budget, but in a shrewd and pioneering move the creators made the internet its publicity bitch, creating its own mythology and stoking online rumour mills. A practice that Hollywood has been milking ever since.

Source: http://blog.knowyourmoney.co.uk/index.php/2009/06/10-movies-you-should-have-invested-in-the-most-profitable-films-ever-made
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:59 pm
@rosborne979,
An Avatar keeps on rolling.
Quote:
Weekend Box Office: Not Even Legion's Scary Old Lady Can Beat Avatar
1/24/10 at 12:30 PM 4Comments

Photo: Fox
Top three: Avatar: $36 million; Legion: $18 million; The Book of Eli: $17 million. Despite extensive promotion, the Harrison Ford/Brendan Fraser drama Extraordinary Measures underperformed with a dismal $7 million. [Box Office Mojo]

Read more: Weekend Box Office: Not Even Legion's Scary Old Lady Can Beat Avatar -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/weekend_box_office_not_even_le.html#ixzz0db4dwwNV

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:05 am
I still haven't seen it. But I did come close. I bought tickets, popcorn and drinks but then saw the line to get into the theater and decided to do something else.

I've gotten spoiled by this assigned seating theater and I just can't justify getting in lines to see any movie these days so I rarely go to the theater because the assigned-seating theater with it's recliners is far away and makes it a chore (plus I am not finding movies very appealing).

This week they are opening another of those theaters near to me and I may give Avatar another shot.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:55 am
I saw it this weekend in 3D and enjoyed it. It sort of had something for everyone, sci-fi, action, romance, and the whole back-to-nature thing. Technically, it was an amazing achievement. Real people and objects were blended seamlessly with CGI people and objects. Let's not forget that half the characters came out of a computer, which is hard to do convincingly.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:59 pm
Worse news ahead!
Avatar Rerelease to Feature Na’vi Sex
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/08/avatar_re-release_to_feature_n.html
0 Replies