non hardening toffee

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:08 pm
I made toffee from a recipe that called for 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup light brown sugar, and 2 cups chopped nuts (I used pecans). I was to mix butter and brown sugar and heat to beginning to boil. Then, into a lightly greased baking dish at 375 for 15 minutes. Upon removel from oven, I put 1/2 cup choc. chips on. As they softened, I spread them and added 1/2 cup pecans to the top. Although the toffee tastes great (with butter, brown sugar and pecans, how could it not), it did not harden. Help me. This is my first time making cooked candy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,261 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:00 pm
@mnestell,
Most candies need to actually rise to te temperature for the "soft or hard crack stage" at which they will harden when cooled. You just diudnt get the mix hot enough. Thats a mistake all first time taffy makers make.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:26 pm
@mnestell,
For hard toffee you need to stir the butter/sugar mix constantly until your candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees. At that point you can remove the pan from the heat and put in your other ingredients.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:14 pm
@Green Witch,
heres a little site on the temperature relationship that GW is speaking of.http://candy.about.com/od/candybasics/ss/candytempsbs_5.htm
0 Replies