Another reason why I'm against capital punishment

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
Bartow, Florida (CNN) -- After more than three decades in prison, James Bain is eager to be able to help his wheelchair-bound mother.

If all goes as planned in a Florida courtroom Thursday, Bain, 54, will be allowed to go home for the first time in 35 years -- free from his life sentence thanks to a DNA test that showed he was not the man who took a 9-year-old Lake Wales, Florida, boy from his bed in 1974 and raped him.

"It's just hard to believe," said Bain's mother, Sarah Reed, who has been in and out of hospitals in recent years.

"He was just a child when he went in there. I've been trying to hold on. I've had things wrong with me, and I was afraid I wouldn't be here when he got out," she told CNN.

Of the 245 people in the United States who have been exonerated by DNA testing, none has spent more time behind bars than Bain, according to the Innocence Project, a national organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people through DNA testing.

More here:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/16/florida.dna.exoneration/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

35 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. Suppose he'd been accused of a murder he didn't commit. In Florida, that would've been the death penalty.

Comments?

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
actually Mr Andrew, I'm against capital punishment simply because I'm against capital punishment.
Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:27 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I dont know if it is a good idea to limit punishment because the conviction might be wrong. I would rather analyse how he got into that position and amend the law.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:39 pm
I've stated my opposition to the death penalty enough times on a2k already. I once thought a time would come that it would be outlawed. That was when I believed humankind was positioned to elevate itself a bit now and then. We take so many backward steps, I no longer think that way.
Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
What is wrong with killing someone ? You do it every day by default solely because it is of benefit to you. You know that if you drive on the roads people will be killed. You have transport bring you things on those roads even if you do not drive on them. You live above what you need whilst people starve. Everyday we are all responsible for death. What is the difference with execution ?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:56 pm
@Ionus,
Come on. Don't you get tired of arguing for the sake of arguing? Get a new direction, dude. Chill.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 09:11 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 09:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
It is nothing personal Ed, I was just expressing my opinion that as a society we kill people everyday. I am in favour of capital punishment. If that puts us at odds, I am only too happy to debate if you wish...if you dont, fine, my point is put forward for others. PM me if you dont wish me to reply to any of your posts, I am not here to annoy you and have no wish to do so.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 10:05 pm
@Ionus,
My position on the death penalty is spelled out on enough threads, I don't expect other people to be anxious to read it again. We get flies in our soup but we don't have to like it or let it continue.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 01:09 am
@Ionus,
Ionus,

This is A2K !

Even high school debaters can work out that "accidental death" is a different concept to "deliberate killing". If you want to debate "survival of the aggressive" start your own thread !

aidan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 01:56 am
@fresco,
Quote:
If all goes as planned in a Florida courtroom Thursday, Bain, 54, will be allowed to go home for the first time in 35 years

I'll be thinking of him and hoping that everything goes 'as planned' today.
Ionus

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:22 am
@fresco,
Of course the concept is different. One is economical and the other is political. But you know what ? It makes no difference to those killed. If you dont like my opinion start your own thread..."why A2K hate people who disagree with them". Read the title of this thread.

Is it an accident you benefit from these deaths ? You just happen to be walking along and accidentally you benefit from everything, from the flow of goods to cheap plastics, so of course you bear no responsibilty. And when a child dies from starvation while you over eat and get heartburn, or chew up the time of many surgeons having open heart surgery whilst a black baby gets no medicine, it is an acccident. You have a perfect conscience on these matters. But one day you may have had enough of the bitch you married, or the neighbour, and you kill them. But you dont want to die. It is unfair that you should die when all you did was murder. People would have to deliberately kill you, so it is grossly unfair.
fresco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:22 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
One is economical and the other is political

Total rubbish ! You might as well argue that everyone of us "killed" countless millions of others by being the result of the sperm who got the egg first !
If that is the level of "reasoning" you want, try the "rants and raves" forum.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:12 am
@Ionus,
To me, at least, these statements of yours, Ionus, make no sense whatsoever. Are you 'on' something?
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:15 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
If all goes as planned in a Florida courtroom Thursday, Bain, 54, will be allowed to go home for the first time in 35 years

I'll be thinking of him and hoping that everything goes 'as planned' today.

Your wishes were granted.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/17/florida.dna.exoneration/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:30 am
@Ionus,
Possibly true, but you do not intentionally kill some one.
BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:42 am
@Merry Andrew,
Yes indeed, we should keep mass killers alive as in the man who gun down four officers who was eating their breakfast and it is a crying shame that the cops were “force” to kill him.

Let not leave out the man in the news who killed most of his family on Thanksgiving including children and is still on the run as of this posting.

Then we have good old charming Ted Bundy as the world would be a better place with him still around or the lovely man Timothy McVeigh who blow up the the Oklahoma Federal building killing a few hundred person including children in cold blood or the DC sniper John Allen Muhammad.
Shame shame on us killing those fine gentlemen.

Yes, we also need to save the fine life of the good doctor Major Nidal Malik Hasan who kill 12 or so fellow soldiers and wounded thirty-one or so others.

And there is no way we have a moral right to kill Ben Laden should he come into our hands alive.

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:02 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Yes indeed, we should keep mass killers alive as in the man who gun down four officers who was eating their breakfast and it is a crying shame that the cops were “force” to kill him.

Hey, crap-for-brains, would you please learn how to read and write before you post any more of your horseshit? Please!!! LEARN TO READ, ASSHOLE!
BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:14 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Sorry I read just fine and understand where you are coming from as you wish to BAN ALL capital punishment not just some on the ground that no system is perfect and we might just end up killing the wrong person.

Your title is that "here is another reason why I'm against" such punishment with no expression of still applying this punishment to mass murderers or anyone else.

The stopping of all capital punishment would therefore included mass murderers such as the fine gentlemen I had name.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 05:54 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
To me, at least, these statements of yours, Ionus, make no sense whatsoever. Are you 'on' something?
If that is the only question you can generate, I will answer it :
No.
0 Replies