But I LOVE my comfy chair!!!

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:58 am
I'm not sure when this guy was peaking in my windows but I'm the poster child of this article. I've even set calender pop ups that say, "Get Up and MOVE" but they're a quick click cancel. Sometimes you read something that states the obvious. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be stated. I should read this book standing up.

Quote:
The modern-day desk sentence:
"Our bodies have evolved over millions of years to do one thing: move," says James Levine, M.D., Ph.D., of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and author of "Move a Little, Lose a Lot." "As human beings, we evolved to stand upright. For thousands of generations, our environment demanded nearly constant physical activity."

But thanks to technological advances, the Internet, and an increasingly longer work week, that environment has disappeared. "Electronic living has all but sapped every flicker of activity from our daily lives," Levine says. You can shop, pay bills, make a living, and with Twitter and Facebook, even catch up with friends without so much as standing up. And the consequences of all that easy living are profound.

When you sit for an extended period of time, your body starts to shut down at the metabolic level, says Marc Hamilton, Ph.D., associate professor of biomedical sciences at the University of Missouri. When muscles " especially the big ones meant for movement, like those in your legs " are immobile, your circulation slows and you burn fewer calories. Key flab-burning enzymes responsible for breaking down triglycerides (a type of fat) simply start switching off. Sit for a full day and those fat burners plummet by 50 percent, Levine says. more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,300 • Replies: 4
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:52 pm
What was it Groucho said?
"I love my cigar, too. But I take it out of my mouth every once in a while."
Different context of course.

I try not to stay seated for more than an hour at a time.
It helps if you have the attention span of gnat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:19 pm
@JPB,
and don't forget the dreaded email apnea

seriously

http://www.cbc.ca/spark/2009/10/learn-to-breathe-with-nora-young/

(good little podcasta)
JPB

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 02:30 pm
@ehBeth,
That looks interesting, ehbeth. I'll give a listen.

I also noticed that my link to the article in the opening post didn't work. Let's try that again.

more.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Very interesting.

I sent the link to all of my staff.
0 Replies