Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
So The Hobbit is being made. Nerds around the world rejoice (I being one of them) with great joy. Guillermo del Toro has taken on this huge undertaking. You may know some of his work: Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, Pan's Labyrinth to name a few. It came as a big surprise though that Peter Jackson would not be doing this film. Or so we thought. As Peter Jackson hold the rights to the set designs in New Zealand, i.e. The Shire and pretty much all non-computer generated Middle Earth, that del Toro would indeed have to have Jackson involved in some way shape or form.

It was stated today in www.slashfilm.com that Peter Jackson is having an open casting call for the film. The only role not to be audition for would be that of Gandolf.

Which brings me to the top of this discussion. Who would you like to see cast as your favorite characters? The character I am most thrilled to see cast is that of Smaug.

Over all I am very excited to see this movie FINALLY be made.

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:47 pm
@Seed,
I hate to admit that I am totally unfamiliar with del Toro's work. Looking forward to the release of The Hobbit, though; no advice at all as to casting.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:48 pm
@Seed,
"Bless me, Father Seed, for I have sinned, I have never been to confession. This is my first time Father Seed. I have never read The Hobbit so I'm not too familiar with the characters outside Gollum, Gandolf, and Bilbo Baggins.

I may have seen the animated version of The Hobbit but I can't remember much about it.

How about Alan Rickman for the dragon Smaug?
dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:51 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I hate to admit that I am totally unfamiliar with del Toro's work. Looking forward to the release of The Hobbit, though; no advice at all as to casting.

Pan's labyrinth was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

I can't imagine casting....but I admit I am having some fun thinking of A2k folk being cast in various roles!
Although, I've not read The Hobbit for so long I am having trouble recalling the characters.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:54 pm
@dlowan,
Basically just Bilbo, Gandalf and Gollum as main characters. Smaug the Dragon would most likely be computer-generated. The others are all minor roles, dwarves and such.
Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:54 pm
Its a great book. Probably my favorite out of the 4 (which is including the Lord of the Rings series). You should give it a read.

del Toro has amazing creature development and does an amazing job with what ever endeavor that he is on. The fact that Peter Jackson is now involved (much like many people have hoped he would) bodes extremely for the movie over all.

As for Smaug, I am not sure I am familiar with that actor who you posted. But I have decided that the person who voices this Dragon will have to have a deep, some what raspy yet smooth voice.

I am very excited to see what leads and possibly what new talents are discovered in the making of this film.
kuvasz

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:55 pm
Robin Williams as Tom Bombadil.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:59 pm
@dlowan,
Dyslexia as Gandolf!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Richman's speaking eloguence sounds good but I had always heard the voice of the late George Sanders in my mind's ear as Smaug's voice when reading The Hobbit.
0 Replies

Seed

@kuvasz,
Was Tom Bombadil in the Hobbit? I can not remember. But I do remember him in the first Lord of the Rings books.
0 Replies

DrewDad

@Merry Andrew,
Gollum's a rather minor incident in The Hobbit.

Let's see:

Bilbo at home, Gandolf arrives, dwarves arrive, travel begins, meet the trolls, chase goblins stealing the ponies, escape from goblins, meet Gollum and have riddle contest, rendezvous with the dwarves, cross Mirkwood, fight the spiders, get captured by elves, float down the river, Laketown, find the back door to the mountain, meet Smaug, Smaug attacks, Smaug destroyed, battle of the five armies,Bilbo returns to the Shire.
djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:03 pm
Alan Rickman would be perfect for Smaug's voice

raiding the harry potter cast again, Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) would be good as Beorn a shape-shifter (or, in the actual text, a "skin-changer"), a man who can assume the appearance of a great black bear.
Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:04 pm
@DrewDad,
I agree that Gollum is a rather small character in the plot of the book in itself but he has become a rather loved? character of the series and thus I am sure people will be looking very much forward to his part in the movie and thus will be a point of much interest with casting.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:04 pm
@Seed,
Alan Rickman:
http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/AlanRickman.jpg
Quote:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) .... Professor Severus Snape
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) .... Judge Turpin
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) .... Severus Snape
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) .... Severus Snape
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) (voice) .... Marvin
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) .... Professor Severus Snape
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) .... Professor Snape
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) .... Professor Severus Snape
Galaxy Quest (1999) .... Alexander Dane
Dogma (1999) .... Metatron
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) .... Sheriff of Nottingham
Die Hard (1988) .... Hans Gruber
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:06 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, yes, I forgot the incident with Beorn.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yea I just looked him up on www.imdb.com
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:12 pm
i wonder if this will be the theme song?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:32 pm
@DrewDad,
They's better make the spider (Shelob) attractive, since the Hobbit encounter with her is the only sex in the book!!!!

(Read the last bits of the battle again if you don't believe me!)
Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:44 pm
@dlowan,
If they turn this into a steamy romance movie Im soooooo gonna right a strongly worded email to the creators.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:11 pm
@kuvasz,
Sorry but Tom Bombadil appears only in Fellowship of the Ring, the first book in the Rings trilogy, not in The Hobbit