Study Reveals the Angriest Americans

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:21 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Right, George, the conclusion was mine, as it's my personal experience.

But, when you see how people get angry over some small stuff on this forum, one wonders..

I was thinking it's probably something in the processed food..

But I'll welcome comments...

Frankly I doubt that urban Americans eat significantly more "processed" food than do their French counterparts. That of course depends on your definition of "processed".

I was once angrily chewed out by a very cranky Parisian shopkeeper when I had the temerity to walk into his shop - through an unlocked door, with no warning sign - during his self-appointed lunch hour. I laughed & apologized, then rolled my eyes as he persisted. That made him more enraged, so after a brief universal hand gesture I left, listening to his references to "salles Americans" as I exited. I don't think that was at all typical - in my experience people everywhere - Frenchmen included - tend to respond in kind to what you show them.

Americans are a more diverse lot than most other people. To a greater degree than other countries, one is an American by choice, and not necessarily by common tribal, linguistic, or cultural traits. I suspect that is likely the source of most observable differences between us and others. (Where I grew up if you answered the question "What are you?" with "American", you had to be fairly tough. The common answers were "Irish" (preferred) , or "German", or"Jewish" or "Polish", or "Italian", or "Syrian" . ) In most cases the Jewish, Polish, Italian, & Syrian kids parents spoke their native language at home (the Germans were by then quite assimilated). Today the actors have changed a bit, but the basic facts remain the same. There is some of this in Europe as well - but not nearly to the same degree.

With respect to expressions of anger on these fora - I do agree with you that they seem odd and out of place. I don't understand the point or meaning of anger with one whom you haven't met, don't see, and communicate with only through the typed word and generally on non personal subjects.

I've never joined such a forum in another country, so I don't know if they are different. I note that some of the Canadians here can get a bit angry and hyper critical (but then there are easy-going, tolerant, lovable folks like Mame among them) and Nimh (as you may recall), could get a bit angry. I just don't know if Americans are different in this aspect of things. I am skeptical, as you can detect.

High Seas

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:30 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

But, when you see how people get angry over some small stuff on this forum, one wonders...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34264093/ns/health-behavior/
Quote:
...Schieman's findings will be detailed in ....International Handbook of Anger, to be released in January 2010.

Hey Francis - check Amazon, order lots of advance copies, they offer gift IOU certificates as Christmas presents Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:41 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob makes a good point about American culture; we are a conglomeration of many different cultures (over 150?) that makes us unique on this planet. Some call it a culture of variety; I think that fits us pretty well. Many still do not speak English, but their children become "Americans" very quickly - whatever that may mean. American culture is popular in many countries around the world.

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:44 pm
HS wrote:
Hey Francis - check Amazon, order lots of advance copies, they offer gift IOU certificates as Christmas presents
I did, HS.
I think I'm gonna offer a copy to some A2Kers..
Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not denying it, CI, I've been a lot to the US..

But why people whose origins are from far, show such anger on American soil, I don't know..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:48 pm
I've contemplated this question a bit.. Based on my own experience I would say that Icelanders, Greeks, and Argentines are the most irritable folks I've encountered. Irritability isn't quite the same thing as anger, but it is more readily detectable if you don't know the individuals well. Brazilians are the most easy-going.

Here, folks from Manhattan have the reputation of being irritable, but I have found they readily respond to a smile or any gesture of friendliness. New Englanders, however are quite another group. They generally don't even like each other - and usually for good reasons.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:56 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I think I'm gonna offer a copy to some A2Kers..

Here I agree fully with Francis. (Perhaps the A2K problem involves Americans from New England> I hadn't thought of that possibility.)
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I think Americans are more aggressive than most cultures, and in some ways more angry/stressed. But a sense of humor is one thing you can't knock Americans for.

In most of the world there's no such thing as standup comedy. And like a lot of the world says, "a nation that gave us The Simpsons" can't be all bad.

Oh, I agree, Robert. I didn't mean that Americans, as a people, lack a sense of humor. I meant that most individual Americans seem to have little sense of humor in real-life situations. They choose to get angry rather than appreciate the inherent absurdity in life's little setbacks.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
@georgeob1,
George are you saying you want to take on the Boston Mob?

Jimmy Breslin made a great statement once.

The Irish are the most beautiful people in the world, but there is something wrong with the Boston Irish. Gotta watch out for them.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:27 pm
@Sglass,
You've been living with that Latvian guy too long.

I think New England includes one of the world's largest concentrations of stupid, ugly, irritable people. I, of course, don't include any Irishmen in that classification.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:45 pm
Oy, I think I shouldn't write here Laughing
I certainly have a temper, but it is under wrap until someone provokes it.

From Francis' list I gathered that the 10 most angriest states are also the poorest, and I think there is the # 1 correlation to showing anger: financial strain!
georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oy, I think I shouldn't write here Laughing
I certainly have a temper, but it is under wrap until someone provokes it.

I knew that instantly when we met !

Francis can be a bit testy himself.

I am invariably cheerful and easy-going.

(I guess there are no New Englanders here.)
Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:57 pm
George wrote:

Sure, George, I believe you!

Can you explain this testy cheese eater the notion know as "self-serving"?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:58 pm
@georgeob1,
You noticed that, didn't you George, and that's why you backed down immediately. Laughing
You indeed are quite jolly, George.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:59 pm
CJ wrote:
I certainly have a temper, but it is under wrap
when we met it was certainly well wrapped..
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
@Francis,
Haha....thank you!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

George wrote:

Sure, George, I believe you!

Can you explain this testy cheese eater the notion know as "self-serving"?

Well, Francis, a little hypocrisy and illusion is a necessary part of any civilized person.

However, compared to Calamity we are both very nice people.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:03 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

CJ wrote:
I certainly have a temper, but it is under wrap
when we met it was certainly well wrapped..

That's only because she was on your side.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:03 pm
@georgeob1,
That's why my name "calamity" was chosen wisely. Wink
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 04:07 pm
George wrote:
That's only because she was on your side.

You are taking sides now, George?