Saturday Morning Cartoons/Shows, What were your Favorites???

JerryR

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:25 am
I have some very fond memories of saturday morning tv.
Growing up in the seventies, there was alot to choose from!! Very Happy

Do any of you remember that just before the fall season would start, there would be an entire friday evening, devoted to previewing the new line-up? This, of course, would be mainly devoted to prime-time programming, but I was always excited to see the ten minutes devoted to the new cartoon line-up. Laughing

There were soooo many,..I hope we can get to all of the good ones!!

I'd have to say that "The Superfriends" were probably my favorite.
But I really liked "Wonderbug" and "Shazam/Isis".

I also loved all of those cheesy "Kroft" shows like "Land of the Lost" and "Sigmund the Sea Monster" (speaking of "Kroft" did you know that one of Deidre Hall's first tv roles was in "Electrawoman and Dynagirl" Laughing )

OK,..What's yours?? Give it up!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 27,284 • Replies: 87
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:24 pm
OH MY GOD....Land of The Lost and Sigmund were my favorites!!!!!!!

http://www.landofthelost.com/
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 03:22 pm
I use to watch The New Zoo Revue and, according to my mother, some Spanish show called La Playa or something. I don't remember watching anything in Spanish, but I DO remember the characters. Weird kid.

I named my phone Sigmund before I changed it to Planet Claire.

Also on the list was The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Captain Bob, The Banana Splits and Captain Kangaroo.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 03:27 pm
I also watched David & Goliath. Those sneaks put religion in my Saturday morning and I was too young to know better!!!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
Zoom & Electric Company...or were those on during the week?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:33 pm
Having watched Zoom paid off later on when I moved to Allston MA after college... I mean, you know the zip code by heart.

Anyone remember a live actions / cartoon show called The Curiosity Shoppe? Had a computer charachter named Regus Patoff (who had a crush on a she computer named Pat Pending.) There was one cartoon in an episode where the world catches fire... there was a cartoon cat sitting outside a burning house thinking to itself 'hmmm... maybe I could get a hot mouse... hmmm mouse flambe!'

Mouse flambe has become a family punchline...
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:05 pm
Hiya!!

Zoom and Electric company were on during the week, one of the kids from Zoom worked for me as a bartender at Pignoli Laughing

Remember the opening from Electric Co.?,..."HEY YOU GUYSSSS"!! Laughing
And Morgan Freeman as "The Count" Laughing !!!

Sugar- I think that the spanish language show was called " Vi Allegre",
My parents wanted to slap me when I'd crank up that teme song on Sunday mornings,..."La, lala, lala, lala,.la, lala, lalalalala...Vi Allegre!" Laughing
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:06 pm
Sealpoet,.."0-2-1-3-4,...send it to zoom!!" Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:04 pm
I always stuck with the classics, Looney Toons... Bugs, Daffey, the whole gang of 'em.. Nowadays I try to catch Pinky and the Brain when I can.. And SpongeBob.. He's got that whole squirrel romance thing goin' ya know! lol
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
'Zoom'.....oh my goodness.....

My memory only dates as far back as when Douglas was little ~ our favorite (okay, my favorite) Saturday morning cartoon was 'The Flea'.

Actually, I remember being a fan of Fat Albert ~ can't remember if that was the name of the show or not.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:06 pm
I shall show my age here -- we didn't watch cartoons; we watched Howdy Doody
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:08 pm
bandylu.....move over.....

It's all coming back to me now. 'Howdy Doody', 'Kukla, Fran and Ollie', 'Speed Racer'.....

And how could I forget Bozo the Clown!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:10 pm
Didn't Bozo get in trouble for doing something nasty?

Anybody remember Winky Dink?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:12 pm
Thought that was Pee Wee Herman....

Bozo can do no wrong.....and if he did, I've blocked it out of my memory.

Winky Dink is ringing a bell.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:22 pm
Soupy got in trouble for asking all the kids to take dollar bills out of Mommy's wallet and mail them to him. But I thought Bozo got in trouble, too. Could be wrong.

What I remember about Winky Dink is the first 'interactive tv' -- you could get a piece of plastic to put over the tv screen and draw on it and/or 'participate' in the show. It was a long, long time ago -- probably before you were born. Actually I'm surprised you remember Howdy and friends. My favorite was Princess Summerfallwinterspring.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:25 pm
I'm not fibbin, bandylu. I even remember singing 'It's Howdy Doody time.....' to Douglas when he was little.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:29 pm
Did you watch the Mickey Mouse Club, too?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:45 pm
Wish you could hear me singin the theme song.....

Or maybe you don't want to hear me sing!

(Yeah, my sister and I watched it and loved it!)

Good night, young lady.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:49 pm
Good night to you, too, Rae. sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 04:19 pm
Hi all. Saturday morning cartoons in the 1970's and early 80's, were the biggest thing. Sort of don't exist now with videos and the cartoon network. I watched a lot them over the years. Bugs Bunny & friends, the one with the opening were they came out dancing in hats and canes, the Superfriends, Scooby Doo, Hong Kong Fuey, Fat Albert, there were probably others too but those were my main favorites. Oh does anyone remember the Schmoo (not sure I spelled that right)? This big, white, creature that used to morph into different forms, with a gang of friends, sort of like the kids from Scooby Doo.

Not to be confused with a cartoon about a family of shape shifters called the Barbarapoppas or something like that...
I loved Sesame Street and the Electric Company for awhile but never got into Zoom that much. I think they had one skit with a scientist putting kids in a bottle that scared me -- I can't recall I guess I blacked it out.

Others I remember not from Saturday morning were Top Cat, Heckle & Jeckle, Josie and the Pussycats, Mr. Magoo, Deputy Dog, Snaglepuss and The Banana Splits with all the Hanna Barbera cartoons. When I got older, there was a Japanese cartoon called Starblazers, a science fiction series. In college my friend found it on videotape (some episodes), and word spread through our dorm and we had strangers show up at the door wanting to watch them with us.

One last note about Zoom, a friends of mine (a married couple) visited Boston a few summers ago and we were walking by City Hall and he got all excited. Apparently, it was used on Zoom as an exterior shot of an evil fortress in one of their stories, he was so amazed to see it in real life, we had a good laugh...
0 Replies