How to get free shipping on toys from Amazon

DrewDad

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 01:34 am
Went to buy a Christmas present on Amazon, and the Amazon gods declared "no free shipping on toys!"

Went to Target, placed identical item in my shopping cart.

Returned to Amazon, and low and behold, my shipping is suddenly free!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 5,635 • Replies: 37
Topic Closed
No top replies

tsarstepan

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 01:41 am
@DrewDad,
That's bloody creepy. I wonder if they have a tracking cookie on your computer?
DrewDad

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 01:47 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh, definitely. Other's have documented how prices on Amazon change based on whether you've shopped other sites, or visited a bargain-hunting site like "My Simon".
roger

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:56 am
@DrewDad,
Tell you something else about Amazon. I ordered a book tonight. It had an Amazon price, and a certain number "New & Used from. . . . " I checked that option, and there were several sellers offering the book both new and used. One of them was Amazon itself, undercutting its own price by about 40%.

By the way, Amazon is getting bad about not shipping certain items to P.O. addresses. Ordinary, non liquid, non hazardous, conveniently sized stuff, and I don't mean their associated vendors; I mean Amazon itself. When they do that, I shop elsewhere.
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:31 am
Verra interesting. And timely. Thanks for the tips.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:59 am
Yes, that's indeed very interesting - thank you!

I always check coupon sites to see if there is free shipping or 10 % off somewhere and Amazon usually has coupons available.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:43 pm
@DrewDad,
At some point -- not sure when, but more than a few years ago -- I signed up or was signed up for Amazon Prime. All shipping is free, all the time.
boomerang

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
I started looking at a certain video game system several months ago on Amazon since Mo mentioned wanting it for Christmas -- it's a new, but older version, of the PS3. It was around $300.

The other day I was going to order it and it cost almost $700 now.

I went to the video game store and talked to the people about what system would be best, explaining that I wasn't going to spend $700 on anything.

They suggested a different system altogether -- one that cost $250.

I looked up that same system on Amazon and it was $300.

As of last night, the whole question is moot as he's now decided he'd rather have an adjustable basketball hoop which I think is a much better gift.

I don't think I'll be ordering anything from Amazon ever again.
tsarstepan

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:32 pm
@boomerang,
Besides if you get Mo to play basketball enough, he might get a college scholarship then play for the UConn Huskies then ultimately win the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship then get drafted to play for the Boston Celtics then go on to win the NBA Championship! Mo of course will get the series MVP! And when they're postgame interviewing him... he'll thank his mother for getting him his adjustable basketball hoop. In return, he'll buy you a 200 inch big screen television and a Sony PS12 Game Console where you can virtually play his team on NBA 2k25!
CalamityJane

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

At some point -- not sure when, but more than a few years ago -- I signed up or was signed up for Amazon Prime. All shipping is free, all the time.

Amazon Prime has a $ 79.- annual membership fee.
tsarstepan

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:36 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's pretty hefty but I guess if you're a megaAmazon shopper it might pay off in the long run.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oooh.

I got signed up as some promo thing in the earliest days. No charge.

I buy a lot from Amazon.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:27 pm
I had checked into Amazon Prime too, because I do buy a lot from Amazon,
but the annual $ 79.00 membership wasn't worth it to me. It states right on
their website what the membership cost, so if you got by without paying, sozobe,
then more power to you!
0 Replies

roger

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:34 pm
@boomerang,
I will continue to order from them, but I no longer make the assumption that there prices and shipping are going to be the best, and when they are not, I keep on shopping. I also no longer assume that their associated stores are going to ship within two weeks of expectation.
tsarstepan

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:39 pm
@roger,
Amazon.com MP3 store! The shipping is phenomenal! Wink
roger

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
And I see Amazon has snuck in a Kindle advertisement at the bottom of the page. It must be nice to feel loved, as they do.
tsarstepan

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:01 pm
@roger,
Big brother is monitoring these threads and getting ready for any PR related action (direct or other wise).
ossobuco

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:04 pm
@roger,
I usually only buy used books most often for 1 cent but possibly to max on something I HAVE to have of, say, 3.99 (like for that recent legal procedural written by the italian anti mafia judge from Bari, Italy) but then I have to pay 3.99 shipping, which is where the volume sellers make their money. One or more booksellers let me know in their accompanying mail that they have a lot of books and ship for 2.99...

Green Witch

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, For cheaper books/shipping check out Abebooks.com and PaperBackSwap.com.
Abe dealers often offer free shipping and Paper Back Swap is a service for book lovers who trade books for the cost of shipping.
boomerang

Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Mo plays golf, football, and baseball and he is currently doing wrestling for a winter sport. He's very athletic! The funny thing about him wanting a basketball hoop is that basketball is the one sport we've kind of steered him away from. He's tallish, but clunky, and not very fast. I'm not counting on him buying me stuff from the proceeds of a NBA career.

And, of course, his dream of being a garbage man would have to die if such a thing happened.....
0 Replies