Patenting an energy solution invention

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 10:26 am
Are there special procedures for the verification and patenting of an idea underlying a solution to today's energy problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,891 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 11:08 am
@moses kenyaju,
To the best of my knowledge, only actual physical items may be patented, not ideas. But I could be wrong.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 01:41 pm
@moses kenyaju,
I guess if you publish that idea you could get it copyrighted but that's not the same as getting it patented.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92preface.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 01:57 pm
@moses kenyaju,
The idea need to be in the form of a device and or process but you do not need to have a working model unless your energy solution is a perpetual motion machine. For some reason the patent office had for many decades demanded a working model of such a device.

Lot of books written by experts on the subject at your friendly public library that you should start reading.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 04:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Andrew - processes can also be patented (exclusion applies for processes relating to design and manufacture of nuclear weapons), but as you said ideas cannot. Procedures vary considerably by jurisdiction; here is a summary of the U.S. patent application process:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/index.html#whatpat
Quote:
....Inventors are also reminded that any public use or sale in the United States or publication of the invention anywhere in the world more than one year prior to the filing of a patent application on that invention will prohibit the granting of an U. S. patent on it. Foreign patent laws in this regard may be much more restrictive than U.S. laws. ..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 04:08 pm
@moses kenyaju,
moses kenyaju wrote:

Are there special procedures for the verification and patenting of an idea underlying a solution to today's energy problems.

I would recommend explaining your idea to me, in detail, and then letting me handle the rest. I'll get back to you about royalties and such later...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies