World History, Cities in Europe just after WW1

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
I have a history teacher who loves to give these brutal riddles for extra credit, and this one stumps me

A City or Capital in Europe, (After WW1), were you take the LAST 4 letters out of the word, set them aside, now the 2nd letter of thoughs 4 letters, replace with a O, and the result of the 4 letters with the new switched O creates a place or something you cannot lie

PLEASE HELP!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 11,854 • Replies: 9
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:35 pm
Beijing
Toughstuff

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:36 pm
@djjd62,
jong? i dont get it, and its not in Europe
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:41 pm
@Toughstuff,
Let's start by re-writing your last sentence in English:

"A City or Capital in Europe, (After WW1), where you take the LAST 4 letters out of the word and set them aside; now the 2nd letter of those 4 letters, replace it with an O, and the result of the 4 letters with the new switched O creates a place or something you cannot lie (about? somewhere in which you cannot lie?)."

So, to look at it systematically--the nation of Yugoslavia was created--but Belgrade was it's capital, and that had been the capital of Serbia before the war, and it doesn't work for this riddle anyway. The nation of Czechoslovakia was created, with the capital at Prague, and that doesn't work. Hungary was separated from the dual monarchy, and its capital is Budapest, and that doesn't work. The Turks renamed Constantinople Istanbul, and that doesn't work. I don't know whether the mandates in the middle east count, but that would yield Beirut in the Lebanon, which doesn't work; Damascus in Syria, and that doesn't work; Jerusalem in the Palestine-Transjordan mandate, and that doesn't work; Baghdad in Iraq, and that doesn't work; Riyahd in Saudi Arabia, and that doesn't work.

The Russian empire had had its capital at St. Petersburg, which they renamed Petrograd during the war--but the capital of the new Soviet Union was Moscow, and that doesn't work. Poland, moribund since the third partition, was recreated, with its capital at Warsaw, unsurprisingly, and that doesn't work. Then there were the Baltic states--Estonia with a capital at Tallinn, and that doesn't work; Latvia with a capital at Riga, and that doesn't work; and Lithuania, with a capital at Vilnius, and that doesn't work.

So, i am frankly stumped. Have you quoted the riddle exactly as it was given to you? The remark about after World War I (it is usually written with a Roman numeral, not an Arabic number) implies a newly created city or capital of a newly created nation, and as far as i can think, i've named them all.

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:43 pm
I believe Dj is jerking your chain . . .
0 Replies

Toughstuff

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:46 pm
@Setanta,
It is not required to be a Capitol thats the thing, it is a place, not necessarily a capitol, in/around world war 1, it could be slightly before, or after, or even during, the part of europe refered to is in this general part of europe (http://www.warchat.org/pictures/world_war_1_europe_map.jpg), give or take a bit
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:58 pm
That is sufficiently vague as to either make it silly to attempt, or to portray your teacher as a jerk-off.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:44 pm
@Setanta,
I throw up my hands in utter, but unutterable, despair.

Btw, welcome back to these threads, big guy.
0 Replies

mariadomenica

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:24 pm
St. David in Wales. Though it's debatable by some if this was the defacto capital pre 1955 (post is Cardiff). You get Ovid - best I can guess. I agree the professor is a douche - the question is too vague
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 05:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I believe Dj is jerking your chain . . .

maybe, or.............

Setanta wrote:

That is sufficiently vague as to either make it silly to attempt, or to portray your teacher as a jerk-off.

i'm the teacher
0 Replies