The Official a2k "I <<HEART>> College Basketball" Thread!

alex240101

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:51 pm
Michigan State is up on New Mexico State at the half, by a dozen or so points.
Go Spartans.
alex240101

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:00 pm
@alex240101,
Eighteen point six seconds left, State up by one.

No stress.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:52 pm
Next year's tournament has gone through a drastic change of sorts:
From a field of 65 teams to a field of 68.

8 teams will play in the first round while the remaining 60 will get an automatic bye to the second round. Rolling Eyes
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/media+and+events/press+room/news+release+archive/2010/championships/tourney+to+begin+with+first+four

Quote:
Championship begins with four first-round games as entire tournament to be nationally
broadcast across four networks for first time

“First Four” comprised of four first-round games to tip off the Road to HoustonTM, to be broadcast nationally on Turner’s truTV as part of the new NCAA-Turner/CBS broadcast agreement
Two first-round games to feature showdowns between teams playing for two of the No. 16 seeds
Two first-round games to feature the last four of the 37 at-large teams selected to the tournament
First time in tournament history that the last at-large team will be revealed

INDIANAPOLIS --- The Division I Men’s Basketball Committee today announced plans for the 2011 NCAA “First Four” to showcase the expanded field for the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

The 2011 championship will tip off with four first-round games, all broadcast nationally in primetime on Turner Broadcasting’s truTV. The four games will highlight the start of the Road to Houston as part of NCAA’s new 14-year partnership with Turner Broadcasting and CBS Sports.

The expansion to eight teams will constitute the first round of the championship, with the second- and third-rounds played to round out of the first week of play. Two of the first-round games will feature the last four at-large teams selected to the championship field, while the other two games will match teams ranked 65 through 68 on the overall seed list. The winners of the four games will advance to the second round.

In April, the committee was charged by the Division I Board of Directors to determine the new 68-team format for the championship. Since that time, the committee actively solicited input from the NCAA membership. During its annual meeting, the committee reviewed and analyzed options, considering the benefits of each.

When the Mountain West Conference was created in 1999, NCAA membership chose to add a 65th team to the tournament, creating a single opening-round game starting in 2001. Going to 68 teams in 2011 allows for all four regions of the championship to be balanced in size, with 31 conference automatic qualifiers and 37 at-large selections – four more than the traditional 64-team configuration.

“With the new bracket essentially featuring four additional at-large teams, the committee determined it was appropriate to have the teams play in the first round,” said Dan Guerrero, the director of athletics at UCLA and chair of the committee for the 2009-10 academic year. “We believe this format provides an extraordinary opportunity for the championship’s first-round games to be quality match-ups as March Madness begins.”

The two at-large pairings will both occupy the seed line where they would normally be placed in the bracket. The pairings could occupy different lines in the bracket. For example, one game may be played between two No. 10 seeds, while the other could feature a pair of No. 12 seeds. Winners of those games would advance to play their natural opponent on a 64-team bracket; the No. 10 seed would play a seventh-seeded team and a 12th-seeded team would meet a No. 5 seed. In accordance with the bracketing procedures, teams will continue to be assigned to the closest available geographic location while avoiding regular-season rematches and conference opponents. This marks the first time in tournament history that the last four at-large teams will be publicly revealed.

The winners of the two first-round games involving teams seeded 65 through 68 will advance to second-round play against number one-seeded teams.

The 2010 Selection, Seeding and Bracketing Principles and Procedures are available at www.ncaa.com/finalfour. The 2011 Principles and Procedures will be available in August.

The schedule and location of the 2011 First Four games will be announced in the coming weeks. “We will examine all options moving forward, and that includes playing the first-round games at one site on one date, at multiple sites on multiple dates, or any combination therein,” Guerrero said.

“With all 67 games being broadcast nationally live across the Turner and CBS networks and a variety of other platforms, this is an exciting time for the growth of the championship,” said Guerrero. “From the First Four to the Final Four, the tournament has a history of successful expansion and format evolution, and we’re excited about what will be the latest transformation of one of the world’s great sporting events.”

All 68 teams earn full units from the NCAA Basketball distribution fund based upon participation and wins leading to the Final Four. For more details on the NCAA’s Revenue Distribution Plan, go to www.ncaa.org.

Second- and third-round sites for the 2011 championship will be played Thursday-Sunday, March 17-20 in Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Tampa, Tucson, Tulsa and Washington D.C. Regionals will take place March 24-27 in Anaheim, Newark, New Orleans and San Antonio, while the 73rd Final Four will be held in Houston April 2 and 4. Host cities for the second- and third-rounds and regionals have been determined for the 2012 and ‘13 championships, while Final Four cities have been selected through 2016.

In 1980, the NCAA expanded the field from 40 to 48, with an equal split of automatic and at-large bids. One year later, it became NCAA policy that no more than 50 percent of tournament berths be filled by automatic qualifiers.

In 1983, the number of conferences eligible for automatic entry passed the 50 percent mark, so the conference champions of the eight lowest-rated conferences had to play in opening-round games that determined the No. 12 seeds in the 48-team field. The next year, the championship featured five opening-round games, with one winner slotting in at a No. 11 seed and the other four occupying the No. 12 seeds. The championship field expanded to 64 in 1985, eliminating the need for opening round games until the 65th team was added in 2001.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:02 pm
http://i52.tinypic.com/voamwn.jpg
The Huskies aren't completely down and out this season.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/conn-m-baskbl-sched.html
The Huskies win their first preseason game today.

vs. American International
W, 96-58
A promising start. Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
@tsarstepan,
What a difference a month makes! Very Happy

UConn has gone on a marauding streak with their 7-0 record so far including to top 10 wins against the former #2 team Michigan State and the former #9 Kentucky.
http://i52.tinypic.com/by6gl.jpg
They have 3 more easy games before hitting their first challenge in their postChristmas game with Pittsburgh.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 11:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Our local boys had them down for a bit in Maui.

couldn't hold on...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:39 pm
@Rockhead,
They can possibly still have a rematch come this March.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 03:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I dunno that WSU is good enough to make the tourney.

the valley will only get one this year I'm guessing...

it's early yet.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:50 pm
Quote:
Jim Calhoun: New team more talented

Associated Press | October 6, 2011
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun says he has more talent this season than he had on the team that won the national championship in April.

For the rest of the article:
http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=7068710
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 01:02 pm
Apparently I missed this September surprise or was too traumatized to remember it:
Quote:
Jim Calhoun knows it's time to go
Calhoun's decision to retire after 26 seasons, three national titles, four Final Four appearances and having sent a plethora of UConn players to the NBA, comes on his terms.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8373343/uconn-huskies-men-basketball-head-coach-jim-calhoun-leaves-game-own-terms

[Kevin] Ollie [(UConn's new Men's College Basketball coach)] ready to prove his worth again
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8374089/kevin-ollie-happy-chance-lead-uconn-%E2%80%93-college-basketball
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 01:04 pm
November 9th is the official start to the 2012-13 college basketball season.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule?date=20121109

Who are you following this year?
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Who are you following this year?

well, i was following this woman who works at the local coffee shop, but the cops dropped by yesterday and suggested i stop
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 01:07 pm
@djjd62,
The Stalkers are a division 2 team I think. I only follow division 1 teams. Razz
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:36 pm
Quote:
In March, one year after Kemba Walker led the Connecticut men’s basketball team to its third national championship, the Huskies were ousted in their first game of the N.C.A.A. tournament, an early end to a disappointing season. But Connecticut will be unable to redeem itself next season because the N.C.A.A. on Wednesday imposed a one-year postseason ban as a result of the program’s low Academic Progress Rate scores.

www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/sports/ncaabasketball/uconn-basketball-is-among-those-to-receive-postseason-ban.html?_r=0
I remember hearing about this suspension awhile back. I'll still root for them this year but as for which other team to follow all the way to the March Madness tournament?

I'll be watching Duke and Syracuse. As for the underdogs I'll be keeping an eye out for: Boston College and Providence.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:11 am
With such a great season for the Huskies going on, great news to start the new year:
Quote:
Connecticut has given men's basketball coach Kevin Ollie a five-year contract extension worth just more than $7 million that will run through the end of the 2017-18 season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8790495/kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-basketball-coach-receives-new-five-year-contract
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 01:05 pm
Shout out to my Mom's alma mater, St. Louis University.

They beat two-time Final Four team, Butler, yesterday, and they're on the brink of winning the Atlantic 10 tourney today. Pundits are actually talking about them possibly making the Final Four this year.

Go Bills!

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 07:36 am
UConn is having an incredible season so far. 8-0. Maine should be a bacon flavored cake walk for them.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/41/connecticut-huskies
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 06:59 pm

Quote:
The No. 17 University of Connecticut men’s basketball team kicks off its regular season at 7 p.m. on Friday against Bryant University at Gampel Pavilion.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111214aab.html
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 10:25 am
UVA lost toDuke and Florida is tanking.
Gonna be a long season. Sad
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 07:35 am
@panzade,
They lost to Duke. Mike Krzyzewski is legion! Never bet against his holiness.
0 Replies