So how much does a pair of glasses cost?

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:01 pm
After the fantastic advice I received from you all, I've decided to go ahead and buy some glasses. Although I plan to wait a couple of months. Why you ask? Because it is annual benefit re-enrollment time so if I can figure out about how much this would cost, I can put it in as part of my Health Savings account and have it come out of pay prior to taxes.

So please help me save some money and tell me what you think a pair of prescription glasses will cost me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 18,359 • Replies: 44
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:09 pm
Depends on your frame choice. THAT's what drives up the cost.

plus tinting, non glare glass, etc. options
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:13 pm
4 or 5 hundred
Gala

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
Anywhere between $175-$400
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:31 pm
@chai2,
Are you sh*tting me? If so, forget about it - I'll continue squinting.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@Gala,
That's a bit better at over $400 a pair, it better make my husband look like a young stud! No wonder those For eyes commericals.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:36 pm

My friend's eyeglasses policy allowed $165 for the frame.

She made the mistake of trying on frames before knowing what section to choose from to fit her plan. Once she tried on those Prada, that was it. Total cost was $1,000.

Fool.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:47 pm
I bought a new pair a couple of months ago and they cost $700.00 but my perscription is really complicated. The only time I don't wear my glasses is when I'm asleep so I'm willing to spend some cash on them.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:49 pm
@boomerang,
That's still an awful lot of money. I always wear glasses but sometimes take them off to read, to avoid any possible headache (depending on how much and how long I plan on reading).

Are you at least happy with the style of your frames?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:51 pm
If all you need is a single lens, the cost is not too high. Also, if the prescription is right, you can just about get them anywhere. It is more problematic if you need bi-focals, tri-focals, or progressive lenses. In those scenarios, you need someone who knows how to measure properly.

Where "they" get you are in the frames. As been mentioned, you can spend a fortune if you insist on the latest designer frames. You can also get glasses very cheaply.

I had been spending a fortune on glasses (progressives, sun, and computer), until I read the writeup on Costco. You really get a deal there, and I have found the staff very professional. The only problem is that it takes 10 days to get the glasses. In your case, since this would be your first pair, 10 days one way or the other won't make much of a difference.

Google "eyeglasses". The websites will give you a good idea as to the variations in frames.

My son used to go to a flea market, where he picked up designer non-prescription sunglasses for a song. He then had the prescription lenses installed in the frames.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
I just bought a new pair of glasses. Altogether, with the eye exam, glaucoma test, lenses, frames, and "undercoating" (they said I needed it), it all came to just over $500.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:58 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I find though that the adage you get what you pay for to be a highly accurate statement when it comes to eye glass frames.

Presently, I have a pair of prescription glasses in which I got free from the VA Hospital. Apparently, I can get one pair of prescription glasses once a year. Anecdotally? I got what I paid for. They're not ugly frames like the cheap plastic frames they issued out during my basic training days, but they're not the sturdiest frames I've ever had.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
Oh, I forgot something. I don't think that it is wise to buy frames online. You really don't know how they will look or fit on you, until you try them on. Many optometrists can order you a frame that you like in a different size from what they have in the store.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
@boomerang,
This is a basic prescription or low one - the doctor told me I didn't have to get glasses unless I felt the need for them - my interpertation: it probably is best, but your eye sight is good enough to pass the driving liscence eye test.

It is for distance if that helps.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:02 pm
@Linkat,
I always assumed you wore glasses because of your avatar. Razz
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@joefromchicago,
Had my eye exam/testing and glaucoma - $20 co-pay. He gave me the prescription. I asked if I could get this filled any where - he said yes and handed me a 40% off the vision center in the building.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree, but only to a point. There are differences in the manufacture, and the materials used in different frames. The problem is, when you get into the luxury class, you are paying for the name as well as the frame.

I think as a first pair of glasses that do not have a very strong prescription, a moderately priced frame will do very nicely. IMO, it is smart to stay away from the real cheapies.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nah, I just love the Incredible Mr. Limpet. He is cool. And I couldn't get ladyfish to fit just right.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
The other thing is I have a hard time finding sun glasses I like. My face is small so most frames look huge on me. Maybe I should shop for frames in the children's section.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
That sounds reasonable.
0 Replies