Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 11:50 pm
My laptop came with a free upgrade. I didn't want to do the change on the first day because I knew the MS servers would be overloaded, so I waited for a night like tonight to do this.

I am backing up all my **** onto my external HDD and I'm diving in. Wish me luck. I'll try and post back my thoughts on how well it went and any problems I personally experience.

I rate my computer skill at 5 of 7. I am skilled with general use and applications, I use multiple OS, have experience building computers, and have some experience doing computer programming. I consider myself above average, but still below expert or system admin level knowledge.

I may return just because the "coolest f-word ever deserves a ******* shout!"

That's Ani DiFranco, not me
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,875 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 04:55 pm
I'm curious about the new OS. Let us know!
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:02 pm
I've been running it for about 2 months... I really like it. It's fast and very pretty.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:19 pm
@Diest TKO,
This is up from Vista?
dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:39 pm
I'm using windows 7. I like it so far.
One bug(?) is that 7 reports a malfunctioning USB device. I have disconnected all usb devices and the report still continues which seems to me to indicate a malfunctioning USB port rather than a device.
Going into customise notifications and setting "do not show notifications or icons for the USB root hub has no effect, the report continues to pop up.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:40 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah.

Update. So I was put on hold. I boought a laptop with the free upgrade. I thought it would be a matter of getting the OS from a server, but I was wrong. I had to send away for the disks. I'll resume this topic when I get the disks.

I plan to do a dual boot with Unbuntu Linux.

T
K
Oh and "adventure"... damn late nights...
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:42 pm
@dlowan,
In theory, it's a leaner, cleaner, more stable version of Vista or AKA Vista Redux or Vista Finally Done Right, (I got that from the reviews I heard on several tech podcasts rather then from anecdotal experience).
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
Just curious, how much OS/administrative awareness does one need to have to run a Linux computer? They sound far too complicated for a hands off individual like myself.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, think about it.

After the horrible Windows ME came the great Windows 2000!

Vista was just the next Windows ME. Hopefully Windows 7 can be the new Windows 2000.

T
K
O
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:53 pm
@Diest TKO,
I'm optimistic about the latest update. Should speed things up, though admittedly I have no quibbles with Vista. Vista just has such a bad reputation in the eyes of the public and it failed to live up to the massive hype of the Microsoft campaign as many of its promised features never made it to release.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Just curious, how much OS/administrative awareness does one need to have to run a Linux computer?

It depends on what you want to do with your computer.

Linux is easy if all you want to do is email and web surfing. (Assuming it recognizes your network card and sets it up for you but then Windows can not have the needed drivers and it can be a trek through hell to find them.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:59 pm
@Diest TKO,
My W7 disks shipped 2 days ago..

They are scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Why dual boot with a new computer? Virtual Machine seems to be the way to go. I put Linux on my new computer and now working on getting Virtualbox set up to run on it. I've had no time but next weekend I can start late nights.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 12:48 pm
@parados,
I like running a dual boot. My current setup is the first setup I've had in year that isn't a dual boot.

If I rebuild my media server, I probably will put linux on it and then do a virtual machine thing with my laptop.

T
K
O
0 Replies