Child Stars who Made it Big/ In Show Biz or Not

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:19 pm
On another thread, we were discussing child stars who seem to have disappeared from the scene. I started thinking about child stars who had great careers in adulthood..........whether in show business or not.

Two people come to mind.......Elizabeth Taylor, a child actress whose stardom grew through adulthood, and Ron Howard, who is now a driving force as a director.

Do you know of any child actors, in either film or TV, who now have illustrious careers, either in show business or some other endeavor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,693 • Replies: 30
No top replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:22 pm
Well, Shirley Temple, of course

Rickie Schroeder has been succesful in TV

Jodie Foster
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:28 pm
I'll Keep 'em coming.

After a rough period, Patti Duke has done very well in TV. (Wonder why not feature films?) She's a great actress.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:35 pm
Barry Gordon, the little boy in "A Thousand Clowns" became President of the Screen Actors Guild, and ran for congress. I think he's an attorney now.

Which reminds me, Patty Duke was President of SAG,
as is, Melissa Gilbert of "Little House on the Prairie" (Currently) Gilbert also had success in TV movies.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:38 pm
Hmmm.... I remember the Academy Award Show when Patty came on, obviously stoned. She married John Astin soon after that, and I believe that the marriage (which didn't last) gave her some stability.

I don't know why she is seldom in films, but I can speculate that TV is probably a less rigorous medium in which to perform. Anyway, she HAS had an exceptional career!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:38 pm
Natalie Wood
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:41 pm
Don't forget Judy Garland!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 04:14 pm
I'll add Drew Barrymore, who has had virtually no gaps in her career since starring in "E.T." Loved her along with Mary Louise Parker in "Boys on the Side".
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 04:19 pm
I read Patti Dukes fascinatiing autobiography... As I recall, she was never a drinker or a drug user. She was in a very serious bi-polar state on the evening of the oscars and at that time of her life.

She wrote another fantastic book about her Bi-Polar and has done alot of good work in promoting understanding of the condition.

I'll get a link to the books, later.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:21 pm
Roddy McDowall - began his career in the late 30s, memorably How Green Was My Valley and Lassie Come Home. Appeared on stage and TV in the 50s and continued a successful screen career until his death. He also published five books on photography.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:25 pm
Kirsten Dunst seems to be doing pretty well as an adult actress, too.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:10 pm
Oh, I just thought of another child star who has a succesful career in movies. Dean Stockwell. A few of his hits in the forties were The Boy With the Green Hair, Gregory Peck's son in Gentleman's Agreement, and Anchors Aweigh with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. Stockwell successfully survived the awkward adolescent years, appearing on TV and in movies up to the present. He was the co-star on TV in Quantum Leap, and was Oscar nominated for Married to the Mob in 1988.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:43 pm
Mozart Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:49 pm
Kurt Russell
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:51 pm
Yep Kurt Russell.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:51 pm
Jackie Cooper did pretty well for many years.
Mickey Rooney still kicking.
Jackie Coogan.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:18 pm
Shelly Fabares, (Donna Reed Show) don't think she's acting much, but has had a succesful marraige with Mike Farrell and both are politically active.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 01:52 am
Must not say it. .. .
Must. . . resist. . .

Doh!

Mary-Kate and Ashley. These two girls (and I'm no fan of them) have done extremely well. And while not adults yet, looks to me like they're doing pretty good and will continue to do so.

Their 'sister' Candice Cameron-??? (Don't remember the married name, I think he plays hockey) seems to be doing pretty good too. I've seen her on a couple of made-for-tv movies here and there.

And Ditto on Drew Barrymore. . . Ah. . . ever since Scream I've been in love. . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 01:56 am
Elijah Wood looks to have what it takes to segue nicely into adult stardom. I have been predicting this since "The Good Son" and IMO it's in his hands.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 05:06 am
Kid already looks sooo burdened though...
0 Replies