Am I too old to go trick o treating?

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:23 am
I'm 20 and I haven't been trick o treating since I was 12 bc my folks won't let me. Shouldn't I make up for lost time. I rememver when I was 16, we moved to Ohio and my parents point blank won't let me go. I remember crying as I watched all the little kids in cute costumes get free candy and I didn't get to take part. Four years later, I still didn't. Am I really too old or are my folks just being mean?

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:12 am
@dirrtydozen22,
No, you're not too old, your folks aren't just mean, they've deprived you of an important rite of passage, young man. Just make sure you tag along with other trick or treaters and only accept candy that's wrapped.
sullyfish6

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:31 am
Never to old for trick or treating!!
Be sure to dress up and have lots of fun.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:41 am
@dirrtydozen22,
You went til you were 12. That's pretty much the cut-off around here.
sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:46 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Go ahead and throw a party and dress up and have lots of candy available there, but trick or treating, not so much.
chai2

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:50 am
@sozobe,
agreeing with both ehbeth and soz.

plus, if a 20 year old came to my door, without kids, I'd be hesitant to open the door.

trick or treating is for kids, a party is for adults.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:14 am
@Gala,
lol I'm actually a woman. But ur right about my folks being mean. I tried to compromise by going with a kid friend and they still said no.
Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Ha. Well, male or female, you just go and enjoy yourself. I don't agree with the other people saying there's a cut-off date.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:56 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Convince two or three girlfriends your same age to dress up and go with you.
Be silly. Take pictures. Post on YouTube.

Joe( Have fun.)Nation

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:58 am
@dirrtydozen22,
No - 12 is the age you stop going trick or treating. If you were smart (like me) you would have offered to take a younger sibling or if you did not have one offer to help out a neighbor and take their young tike. I had a brother 11 years younger than me so I would take him around and everyone would say - what a nice big sister taking you out and give me loads of candy. I didn't even need a costume and I made out with more loot than he did.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:59 am
@Joe Nation,
Or another thought - dress real sexy and go to dirty old farts' homes - you will get lots of loot.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:06 am
You're too old to trick-or-treat, yes. However you are never too old to jump out from behind some bushes and steal candy from a child, and then retreat to your apartment to spend the evening laughing and eating chocolate.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:10 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:
However you are never too old to jump out from behind some bushes and steal candy from a child, and then retreat to your apartment to spend the evening laughing and eating chocolate.

Well.... when you get to the point where the 9 year-olds can chase you down and take the candy back, you would be too old for that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:11 am
@dirrtydozen22,
At 20, you should be able to afford your own candy.

You're certainly welcome to put on a costume, though.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:58 am
Geez, you guys are all a bunch of old farts.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
No one is ever too old to go trick-or-treating. However, after a certain age, you carry an empty martini glass, not an empty paper bag.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
cute threadhttp://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2728/popcornh.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:01 am
@chai2,
Yeah - we just have the lights on/door open from about 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. or earlier if we run out of candy. Once the kids are taller than I am, it's definitely lights out/door shut.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:09 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I think you should be able to go trick or treating.

But there is an irrational fear that most teenagers and twentysomethings are going out to cause mischief or even worse, actually commit violent acts (rape, burglary, home invasion, or whatever horrible the homeowner can think of after he or she read a rare fluke of a crime they read about in a Rupert Murdoch run tabloid rag of a newspaper).
chai2

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:44 am
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

Geez, you guys are all a bunch of old farts.

So, you think 45 year olds, without any children, should just dress up and go door to door looking for free candy?

No one's saying adults shouldn't get dressed up in costumes, go to work that way, have a party with friends, etc.

It's the walking from door to door with a bag collecting miniature snickers and peppermint patties.

Have as many bowls of candy at work or at your party.
An adult walking around like the kids would be really lame.