Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 05:47 am
Has anyone tried Microsoft's Bing? All the references I can find are aimed at businesses and other commercial users to solicit their ads. But who can use it if it's only B2B? O must be looking it up in the wrong way somehow.

Any guidance?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,260 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 06:32 am
@Tomkitten,
Bing is very similar to Google. Are you using bing.com?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 06:36 am
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 06:46 am
http://jamievalentine.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/bing-crosby-1949.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:43 am
@Tomkitten,
My son's gone completely over from Google. I still like Google for the integration with other Google features like Google Maps.
Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:45 am
OK, I got it. I don't know why Google lists all the business-oriented places first. And I don't know why Bing in the address line brought up similar stuff as well as Bing Crosby pix. However, I've got it now.

I like the subdivisions, especially Shopping. I'm looking to buy (maybe) a laptop, and found Laptops brought a lot of really relevant information geared to helping the user make comparisons and decisions. It's as if Bing sifted through the Google listings for me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:17 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My son's gone completely over from Google. I still like Google for the integration with other Google features like Google Maps.

Bing also has Bing Maps. Actually I find the directions to be superior to Google in that they are more detailed and even let you know when you have gone too far.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:37 pm
@Tomkitten,
I've tried it a couple of times [www.bing.com] and as expected ... I was underwhelmed with the searches. It's a tad overhyped and certainly not a Google killer as its trying to establish itself as.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:42 pm
@Intrepid,
I don't like the way that maps are scrunched on the right side; they don't give you any feel for the area or the route. The directions are great, although in requesting Westwood MA to Newton Centre I was sent to Newton Centre Park which, in spite of living for 17 years in Newton I am not familiar with, by that name, anyway.
Mosqua

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 06:52 am
@Tomkitten,
Bing is just like google, just it doesn't show as many searches as google
Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:18 am
@Mosqua,
Mosqua wrote:

Bing is just like google, just it doesn't show as many searches as google

In my tests, I have found that Bing quite often finds more occurances than Google.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:21 am
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:

I don't like the way that maps are scrunched on the right side; they don't give you any feel for the area or the route. The directions are great, although in requesting Westwood MA to Newton Centre I was sent to Newton Centre Park which, in spite of living for 17 years in Newton I am not familiar with, by that name, anyway.

Not sure what you mean by scrunched on the right side. I have not seen this. I see a large map on the right that can be zoomed.

Bing maps has now included 3D view and Street View as well. I have a GPS so it doesn't really matter to me. I do, however, find both Google Maps and Bing Maps to be quite acceptable and accurate. With Bing being a bit more accurate.
Tomkitten

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:38 pm
@Intrepid,
Well, when I went to look at the maps on Bing about 1/3 of the screen was taken up by the map which didn't allow for sufficient enlargement to provide a good overall view of intersections.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:00 pm
@Tomkitten,
You can zoom in and out and drag the map around. Same as Google.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:49 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
Same as Google.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Same as Google, so why bother?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 12:48 am
@DrewDad,
Some may not be open to change. I am. It is no bother. I still use both.
chai2

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:29 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YLD_9lRGU[/youtube]

In the book "The Joy Luck Club", one of the characters had 4 sons; Matthew, Mark, Luke and Bing.

That fact did not make it into the movie. I wish it had.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:20 pm
@Intrepid,
There's a difference between being open to change, which I am, and embracing change for its own sake, which I do not.

When it becomes more useful than Google, I'll start using it.
0 Replies