Does (GULP) - Does GOD!!! Sabotage Cern's Large Hadron Collider?

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 04:28 am
Explosions, scientists arrested for alleged terrorism, mysterious breakdowns " recently Cern’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has begun to look like the world’s most ill-fated experiment.

Is it really nothing more than bad luck or is there something weirder at work? Such speculation generally belongs to the lunatic fringe, but serious scientists have begun to suggest that the frequency of Cern’s accidents and problems is far more than a coincidence.

The LHC, they suggest, may be sabotaging itself from the future " twisting time to generate a series of scientific setbacks that will prevent the machine fulfilling its destiny.

At first sight, this theory fits comfortably into the crackpot tradition linking the start-up of the LHC with terrible disasters. The best known is that the £3 billion particle accelerator might trigger a black hole capable of swallowing the Earth when it gets going. Scientists enjoy laughing at this one.

This time, however, their ridicule has been rather muted " because the time travel idea has come from two distinguished physicists who have backed it with rigorous mathematics.

What Holger Bech Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, are suggesting is that the Higgs boson, the particle that physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be “abhorrent to nature”.

What does that mean? According to Nielsen, it means that the creation of the boson at some point in the future would then ripple backwards through time to put a stop to whatever it was that had created it in the first place.

This, says Nielsen, could explain why the LHC has been hit by mishaps ranging from an explosion during construction to a second big bang that followed its start-up. Whether the recent arrest of a leading physicist for alleged links with Al-Qaeda also counts is uncertain.

Nielsen’s idea has been likened to that of a man travelling back through time and killing his own grandfather. “Our theory suggests that any machine trying to make the Higgs shall have bad luck,” he said.

“It is based on mathematics, but you could explain it by saying that God rather hates Higgs particles and attempts to avoid them.”

His warnings come at a sensitive time for Cern, which is about to make its second attempt to fire up the LHC. The idea is to accelerate protons to almost the speed of light around the machine’s 17-mile underground circular racetrack and then smash them together.

In theory the machine will create tiny replicas of the primordial “big bang” fireball thought to have marked the creation of the universe. But if Nielsen and Ninomiya are right, this latest build-up will inevitably get nowhere, as will those that come after " until eventually Cern abandons the idea altogether.

This is, of course, far from being the first science scare linked to the LHC. Over the years it has been the target of protests, wild speculation and court injunctions.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/biology_evolution/article6879293.ece#

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:52 am
Therell be a message that the LHC will print out just before all hell breaks loose and the planet is vaporized into a vomer of stargas and thermonuclear fuel.
Itll say

"LET THERE BE LIGHT"
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:45 pm
@farmerman,
looks like noone is giving a **** Edgar. I thought that this was an interesting thread topic for a story line
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:12 pm
Some probably take umbrage at my header.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:15 pm
I find it hard to see these scientists' thinking. Perhaps I am too partisan to see it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I propose that when offered a choice between quantum-metaphysical-technobabble and simple coincidence, as possible explanations.... simple coincidence should be the obvious conclusion.

Besides, I already flashed forward to the future and I know that there's no Higgs Boson to be found, by the LHC or anything else.

You'll see. They're gonna fire up the LHC, smash some particles and get all kinds of new little boogums. But no Higgs Boson.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:43 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
looks like noone is giving a **** Edgar. I thought that this was an interesting thread topic for a story line

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy day. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:52 pm
I am eager as all hell to see what they finally come up with. Science is so slow.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I am eager as all hell to see what they finally come up with. Science is so slow.

Me too. Alfred Hitchcock couldn't have built up this much suspense Smile

But I stand by my prediction, no Higgs Boson.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Well, I been readin along, just had nothing to contribute. I'm the one gave ya that extra thumb on your first post, farmer.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:56 pm
at this point it looks to me a more common ailment.....poor management. The lack of quality of the equipment and the lack of quality of the people has a common denominator. It is management.
JTT

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 09:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Besides, I already flashed forward to the future ...

What are next week's Powerball numbers, Ros?
Francis

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:52 am
@hawkeye10,
We are doomed.

Except HE, I cannot see any worth person in the Universe.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:50 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Besides, I already flashed forward to the future ...

What are next week's Powerball numbers, Ros?

I was prevented from seeing them by "GOD" who doesn't want me to get rich and alter the timeline.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:44 am
Perhaps the Higgs particle is like a spec of dust in God's eye and he keeps blinking until it dislodges. However, there was no flood.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/253946/october-28-2009/big-bang-theory

The time travelling sabotage theory must be true as Stephen Colbert just acknowledged last night!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:37 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Perhaps the Higgs particle is like a spec of dust in God's eye and he keeps blinking until it dislodges. However, there was no flood.

Bloody genius bit of theological logic! Oh wait is that an oxymoron?! Hmmm.... Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was not familiar with Colbert. Thanks for an entertaining piece.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:08 am
The latest news is that a bird dropped a piece of bread into the LHC and caused a short. If the machine had been running it would have gone back into "shutdown" mode.

If this keeps up I may have to reconsider the possibility of GOD mucking up the works.

Quote:
This is too weird: A bird reportedly has dropped a "bit of baguette" onto the world's largest atom smasher, causing the machine to short out for a period of time.

The LHC booted up in September 2008, but technical problems forced it to shut down shortly after its launch. When the mystery bird reportedly dropped a piece of bread onto the particle accelerator's outdoor machinery earlier this week, the device was not turned on, according to reports, and therefore did not suffer major damage.

Had the machine been activated, the baguette incident could have caused the LHC to go into shutdown mode, the UK's The Register reports. The Register quotes Dr. Mike Lamont, a worker at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (or CERN), as saying that "a bit of baguette" had been dropped on the LHC, possibly by a bird.

A call to CERN's press office was not immediately returned.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:21 pm
If a titmouse succeeds in shutting it down, I will start to consider it myself.
0 Replies