jblumel

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:03 pm
I have a Rainsoft Gold Series system installed in my home. The main system has two cylindrical tanks and a salt tank. I'm curious what each of the two cylindrical tanks do. From the research I've done, one of them might be filled with with some filtration media.

Here are the model numbers of our equipment:

Tank 1 (Computer mounted on top): EC4 100 CV 110V PT
Tank 2: QRS 1044 SH
Ultrefiner RO System: 21179

I'm asking because the alarm is going off and I simply can't justify paying someone $100 just to show up, press a button and swap out filters that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. I know how to reset the system via the service menus, so that isn't a problem. We've had the system for 3 years and the only filter I've replaced is the center cylinder on the RO system. So, here are my questions:

1) On the RO system - what besides the center cylinder would ever need to be replaced and when? Do all 3 of the cylinders on the RO system need maintenance?

2) What, if anything, needs to be replaced on the 2 tank softener system as a part of regular maintenance and when? If so, is this something only Rainsoft can do, or is it something a capable homeowner could accomplish?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 6,181 • Replies: 4
No top replies

gobansheego

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@jblumel,
1st off QRS tank is a CHLORINE FILTRATION SYSTEM QRS CARBON WATER FILTER: #QRS1044HSH ... TASTE & ODOR FILTRATION SYSTEM
2nd is the water Softener/Purifier works off of ion exchange ,as hard water passes over the resin the ions are exchanged and soft water is created as the water is pushed thru the media it is scrubbed as well purifying the water .The holding tank is for salt which is used to clean the resin after it becomes full of ions ,that is why it is important to know how hard your water is because between that reading and the amount of capacity or resin you have the system needs to know when to (regenerate)The carbon tank needs to be rebedded but depends on the condition of your water,probably get around 3-5 yrs and it is a nasty job to do by yourself,when water is introduced to carbon it creates air pressure and if you don't have all the air out of the tank before you start the carbon tank online again you run the risk of blowing carbon all thru your pipes into screens,faucets and clogged pipes,it's risky to do yourself that's for sure.Now the RO should have the sediment and charcoal filter replaced annually ,the membrane will usually last around 5 yrs just backflush on a monthly basis and you do that by flipping the valve flap on top of the RO where the filter goes.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:29 am
@gobansheego,
gobansheego wrote:
The carbon tank needs to be rebedded but depends on the condition of your water,probably get around 3-5 yrs and it is a nasty job to do by yourself,when water is introduced to carbon it creates air pressure and if you don't have all the air out of the tank before you start the carbon tank online again you run the risk of blowing carbon all thru your pipes into screens,faucets and clogged pipes,it's risky to do yourself that's for sure.

I don't understand why RainSoft continues to sell the QRS. It's cheap, but you can't back wash a QRS and you can't bleed off pressure when it's time to rebed the GAC... I replace the QRS valve for my clients whenever possible.

The old RainSoft style A valve allowed the owner to back wash the GAC manually and a Fleck 2510 will do it automatically.

Also, I wouldn't go past 48 months between rebeds, 36 months is best.

Brandyyjordan

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
Hello I am trying to buy an used rainsoft ec4 model is this model specific to the goals series or can be for all models? The system is almost two years old and want to know what should I ask for can you help?
0 Replies

Brandyyjordan

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 11:51 am
Hello I am also searching for an use unit. I have see in its that have been in storage for couple of years they look good but I do not know if they have not been used for a while if that can be a problem. Please advised
0 Replies