I'm gonna get eyebrows!

chai2

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
I've thought about permanent makeup on and off for years.

I'm gonna do it next Friday.

I think I'm going to got for the eyeliner (upper lids) too.

I found someone whose work is absolutley beautiful.

farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:35 pm
@chai2,
Do they just tat in every hair? What do you do with the ones already there.?

Willl they be like, blue tattoo ink or is there some color thats more natural? I never knew Groucho Marx's moustache (in the old movies) was painted on till I saw a photo of him and the other ones

PS, you oughta leave a little mystery about yourself. Right now I can do a sketch artist rendition for the cops without too much trubble.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:18 pm
http://www.fortunecity.com/village/hancock/67/luvdivine.jpg
chai2

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:25 pm
It depends, as far a individual hairs or fill

The scary thing is, you can see SO many hack jobs out there, just look on the internet. What is so bad is that some of the awful jobs are actually used as advertisments for the person doing it!

I do have brows, they've just become very sparce. The out halves of them just peter out to a few hairs.
What I'm going to get is more of a fill, since I have dark hair.

But unlike some I've seen that are all one color and end up looking like a marker has been drawn on your face, mine will have at least 3 colors, medium brown, light brown, and a touch of auburn.

This is the only thing this woman, Julie has done her entire working life, like 15 years. Her father was apparantly the guy who developed the art of permanent blended looking eye shadow, and blush that didn't look like a clown.

She had me watching her do someone, (with the clients permission) and it was facinating. I had heard that makeup artists who do this actually don't use tatoo ink, but she does.

She said one of the techniques her father used in training her was he would put out a piece of waxed paper, and she had to work on it. She was only to color the actual wax, not the paper. When she was done, he would hold it up to the light, and if there were any holes, the lesson wasn't over.

A lot of her clients are in the media, like newscasters, and even someone who used to be on Entertainment tonight.

I've heard people complain they have to do it again in a couple of years, but with her using the tat ink it will last more like 10 or 15.

I like an arched brow, and she said she's going to have fun with me. Our personalities really clicked.
chai2

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:26 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

http://www.fortunecity.com/village/hancock/67/luvdivine.jpg

I can just imagine what that was Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:30 pm
@chai2,
Tired of plucking (or waxing), chai?
farmerman

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:44 pm
@chai2,
How about the Homo sapiens idaltu unibrow? Thats a look.
msolga

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
Do you have visual example of that handy, farmer? Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:00 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Tired of plucking (or waxing), chai?

no, I'm tired of not having enough brow.

the hairs i have will stay.
msolga

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:06 pm
@chai2,
Ah, I see.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:51 pm
This is the picture djjd wanted to show...

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/302/picture1yu.png
shewolfnm

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:28 pm
is it possible to say that- Is a FANTASTIC makeup job?

and that, is a HORRENDOUS makeup job?

all in one breath?
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:32 pm
@chai2,
So....this is like permanent marker on your brows, not some sort of eyebrow wig?

I'm serious...I have never heard of eyebrow permanent make-up.
chai2

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

So....this is like permanent marker on your brows, not some sort of eyebrow wig?

I'm serious...I have never heard of eyebrow permanent make-up.

yes, it's like you've put on your eyebrow pencil/brush and it's for good.
Also, the eyeliner.

here's some examples of good work....

http://www.permanentmake-upworcester.com/image_library/library/8235/medium_100237482_176568_06_01_2009_Eyebrow_After1.jpg

See how in this one below the color is very delicately applied under the brow hairs that are already there? There's more than one color there, looks natural.

http://www.bleucerise.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/picture-142.png

and not so good....yeesh....

http://www.semipermanentmakeupnorthwales.co.uk/images/P1000054.jpg
Eva

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 09:05 pm
Fascinating. I've tried having my brows dyed, but they always got them too dark. (I need light brown.) I could really use something like this. I've never seen work that good, Chai.
dlowan

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 09:09 pm
@chai2,
Is it a sort of tattoo, or permanent dye?

I'd not mind going with the permanent eye-liner...except that (as I am limited in how often I can wear eyeliner by allergies) I am worried I might develop an allergy to the dye....and there's be no getting rid of it!!!!

Well, it must come off eventually, right, as your SKIN eventually comes off???!!!
chai2

Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:07 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Fascinating. I've tried having my brows dyed, but they always got them too dark. (I need light brown.) I could really use something like this. I've never seen work that good, Chai.

I dye my own eyebrows every time I dye my own hair....good old Q-tips. I do that because I've got a stray gray hair or two in my brow, and I don't want to pluck out the few hairs I have, so I just apply the color to all the hairs I have. I can't imagine paying anyone to do it. Dye does get on the skin, as I push the brow hairs backwards to get under them. But that's no big deal as I currently apply brow pencil on the skin under the hair now anyway. Plus the dye comes off the skin in a day or two. You just have to use care.

I tried to copy some actual work from off her website, but it wouldn't let me.

I'll pm you her link so you can see her work

Which brings me to another thing.

When I got there and she called me in to watch her work on someone else, she asked me how I heard of her.

When I said I'd found her on the internet, she seemed slightly surprised. She said she gets most of her work from word of mouth, and I can see why. After she finished with the woman she was working on, she showed me and someone else who was waiting (the nurse) her digital portfolio.

So, we got to see her work without the special effects lighting above, and it was very impressive. Part of the portfolio was the work that she did to fix other peoples crappy work. If you've ever had a botched haircut and had someone who fixed you up where you didn't think anything could be done except let it grow out, you appreciate what she was able to do to fix something that would have made me not want to leave my house, ever.
She also does reconstructive work, to like mastectomy patients who have had implants put in, to hide the scars.

I'll tell you what, she was also an excellent sales person as well. She never pushed, or even asked you if you want this done.
I'm sure she arranged the consulation appointment with me and the other person to coincide with her being able to demonstrate her technique, and while she worked she described her training, said that she did all her own makeup to herself (perfect), and described her clientele. She said "I guess some people might think I'm coming off as slightly.....conceited....but as you can see, this is an art, and I am that good. This is my work and I'm proud of it"

THEN she said "I don't fool around with different prices for brows, eyeliner, lips, etc. I charge one flat rate for each one you choose, and that $XXX an area.

I'm not posting the price, because it was exactly 50% more than I had in my mind as the top price I was willing to pay. Now, ya'll know me well enough by now to know I don't throw my money around on foolishness, and I try to get the best deal I can I what I do want. When she said her price, it was only natural for me to say "uh huh" In fact, I'd aleady made up my mind to do the eyeliner too.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:19 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Is it a sort of tattoo, or permanent dye?

I'd not mind going with the permanent eye-liner...except that (as I am limited in how often I can wear eyeliner by allergies) I am worried I might develop an allergy to the dye....and there's be no getting rid of it!!!!

Well, it must come off eventually, right, as your SKIN eventually comes off???!!!

From what I've read, most people use some sort of permanent dye, which is why some people complain they have to go back every 3 years, more or less, to redo it.

This woman uses actual tattoo ink, so the color will be there as long as a tattoo would. She point out that her brows have been on for 15 years, and they look great.

I've also seen work by people that looks like "one size fits all"....like that bad job above, it looks like someone just applied a stencil, and filled it in.

This person does it free hand, and she and you have already decided what you want beforehand, by penciling in, adjusting the angles, arch, fullness, colors etc. Same with eyeliner; thin, thick, exotic, two tones, etc. before she starts her work.
It's like, yeah, this is forever.

I'll pm you that link too, just for fun.
ossobuco

Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
@chai2,
I've mixed feelings. I have that business with disappearing outer eyebrows too.
I have saggier skin than you, Chai, and must mumble that I'd worry that what happens over the years re regular tattoos may happen with this, roving dots as facial contours change.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:54 pm
@chai2,
Thanhks Chai...I looked it up, and it seems it is normally a tattoo process...but videos of it didn't seem like ordinary tattooing.
0 Replies