The Daily Show - October 12th, 2009

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:52 pm
Ok, the CNN portion of this episode was fantastic. What a joke our news organizations are; I dare say all of them are equally bad.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/251761/mon-october-12-2009-janet-napolitano
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 11
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 09:40 pm
@maporsche,
The funny thing is ... these news networks aren't that oblivious of Jon Stewart's obvious and reasonable criticisms. Every once and a while they'll bring up the Stewart's astute observations on their own shows, if only to pathetically attempt to defend themselves.

AS alleged journalists and news analysts, they're just too cowardly or accepting of these faults to make any changes. Bloody drones to their respective corporate queen bees.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:31 am
@maporsche,
I forget where I saw the article, but it was about how Conservatives enjoy being guests on his show because he's really smart, respectful, does his homework and wants to really understand things without getting in their face and judging them for their views.
maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:53 am
@Gala,
He had Rod Blago...vich on a few weeks ago and was very respectful. I enjoy his show because he is able to have intelligent discussions without dis-respecting his guests.

However, he always seems to have the upper hand, but that may be because I agree with most of his positions and views. I don't see a lot of people go on his show and change his mind or viewpoint.
mismi

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:56 am
@maporsche,
Quite honestly - it's pretty hard to change someone's viewpoint when it comes to politics or religion. Most people have a pretty unmovable set of standards they live by which is what makes them cling to whatever party, or religion they cling to. But - giving someone an opportunity to air their viewpoints with respect and humor, regardless of whether you agree with it or not, is a great gift that he has...and one he shares. I appreciate that.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:12 am
@maporsche,
I read somewhere, again, a long time ago and I forget where, in high school he had a bit part in a Shakespeare play. On the night of the performance instead of saying his line he stood with his back to the audience against a backdrop of a tree or a building and stood there like he was taking a leak.

He manages to take the sacrosanct/absurdity out of a situation and strip it away to the reality, without getting himself in trouble. I saw the Rod interview, he injected a lot of humor in there, as well. By the end of the interview I had some sympathy for Rod.

I prefer his interviews with real people and not the ultra-famous.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 11:08 am
@maporsche,
John Stewart has got a great sense at detecting when a guest is trying to bullsh!t his or her way through the interview.

Plus unlike most professional talk show interviewers, I have a sense that he actually reads (not every book that passes in front of him like say the former radio host, Christopher Leiden, former host to WBUR's The Connection) but lot more of the books to qualify Stewart as being earnest enough to at least try to understand the point of the author.
Gala

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I'd have to say, Christopher Leiden's one of the best interviewers around. Notice how The Connection went off the air after they tried to revive it without him? I thought WBUR made a huge mistake letting him go.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:11 pm
@Gala,
The minor scandal was that Lydon and his producer were asking far too much a salary (at least at the time) for an NPR radio program. As soon as he and his producer left so did the NPR stations syndicated the program.

He's doing some kind of online program associated with Brown University.
http://www.radioopensource.org/

Don't know why I never really bothered listening to him with this project.
Gala

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ha. It's Lydon, you're right. I remember reading it also had to do with his not wanting to participate in the fund raising part, either. Can you blame him?

I have listened to Open Source, it went off the air and now it's back on again, as you've pointed out, with Brown University helping out. I have not listened to the back on air Open Source. I didn't really like the show, maybe it's improved.

When Open Source first came on the local NPR stations where I lived picked it up. That's the only reason why I listened to it-- I may listen to the new version one of these days. I've found more and more, I am way more interested in listening to Jon Stewart than someone quite so serious as Christopher Lydon. I wouldn't say he's got the best humor in the world, but he sure can empathize.
McTag

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 01:05 pm

Big Jon Stewart fan here.

In Britain, we get the show a day late, and tonight's/last night's is on in 25 minutes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 01:19 pm
@Gala,
I've resubscribed to his Open Source podcast on iTunes. Just to see if its worth it. Its kind of dry ... a tad too academic. Only listened to two podcasts: interviewing several 20 something composers and as of right now, some kind of Thoreau biographer.

I'll still give Lydon the benefit of the doubt but as of right now I wouldn't feel guilty if I miss an episode or two (like I would if I missed say The Daily Show or The Colbert Report).
0 Replies