soundtrack junkies

tribal

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:07 pm
my post in the weepy movie thread is the inspiration for this.

i know i can't be the only one out there who enjoys movie soundtracks. most in my collection are instrumentals, with the occasional mix (snatch comes to mind)

sooooooooooooooo....

what do you have?
does the music make it weepy?
best song from a movie EVERRRRRRRR...

sorry if this has been done before....i went back three pages and didn't see anything like this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 10
No top replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:14 pm
Re: soundtrack junkies
tribal wrote:
best song from a movie EVERRRRRRRR...

not weepy, but one of the best, both in the movie and outside, on cd: underworld's track from 'trainspotting'! ;-)
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:06 pm
hello tribal. I am not sure if this is what you were asking but music from the following movies come to mind: Platoon, Woman in Red, Amadeus and Immortal Beloved.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:18 pm
I tend not to go for weepy movie soundtracks but, you know one of my favorites is Empire Records, a close second is Pretty In Pink...I think those are more feeling good soundtracks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:30 pm
Favourite soundtrack - CDs ...

Tarantino's are good! Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown ...

I thought the Menace II Society soundtrack (dunno which director - didnt see the movie, it didnt play here) had some of the best hip-hop tracks of the time.

Spike Lee's soundtracks are sometimes pretty good, too .. I like the "Crooklyn!" CD, but I loooooove the "Malcolm X" CD. Loved it for years. So nice, so comforting. Best songs: the Ink Spots' My Prayer (jawohl), or, Ray Charles' That Lucky Old Sun ... or no, Ella Fitzgerald's Azure. <nods>

Talking in that direction: I like the "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack ... And I played the "Mystery Train" soundtrack a lot, too. And another favourite is the soundtrack to a TV series (dunno if that counts): "The Singing Detective". I've had it on tape for fifteen years now ... tape's gone pretty old. It's very dear to me.

(I promised myself to buy the CD, as soon as I had random money left over, for soooo long ... last week, I got a CD-voucher. Went to the shop: they dont have it anymore! Cant order it anymore, either. Only a three-CD box with all kinds of other, "related" tracks, too - its not the same thing <nods>.)

I love the "Blue in the Face" soundtrack because of the talking bits. "no mushrooms, no onions - I don' want no onions on that ****, you hear me?! If I find any onions on it, I' gonna bring that **** back - word!".

Last mention: Soundtrack to Kusturica's movie "Underground". Black Cat, White Cat's pretty good, too, but Underground is unsurpassable. Blast of breathless Balkan fever - rambling hyperspeed Gypsy folk for the techno age. And the funny thing is, I always kinda suspected it was for export - so it was cool to be in a Macedonian living room and see them circle-dance with the music turned up to boom ;-)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:39 pm
O Brother I wanted to get...must put that on a list somewhere. Pulp Fiction is another good one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:51 pm
Sountrack or movie music threads pop up once or twice a year, tribal, and welcome to A2K.

Some of my favorites which I own on CD:

"The Big Country" Jerome Moross
"Krull" James Horner
"Raise the Titanic" John Barry
"The Lord of the Rings" Howard Shore
"The Blue Max" Jerry Goldsmith
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:52 pm
I've got O Brother, great soundtrack. Mrs. cav owns Trainspotting and The Mission, and LOTR:Fellowship....I forget what else. They're all good.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:45 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Sountrack or movie music threads pop up once or twice a year, tribal, and welcome to A2K.

Actually, cant find that many (just used Search on "soundtrack") ...

There's Best musical scores in film?, but Kuvasz made verrry explicit he meant "scores", and that's not "soundtracks", folks; and there's Swinging Scores, which is, well, specifically about swinging scores ... <grins>
Couldnae find any others.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:55 pm
While not technically a soundtrack, David Helfgott's recording of Rachmaninov's third symphony, which was conveniently released soon after 'Shine' came out, is amazing, absolutely brilliant.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:23 pm
Here's just one of them:

SWINGING SCORES

No matter -- the is a very active part of A2K and it's getting near Halloween so I'm sure someone will come up with a scary movie thread.
It's not been that long I don't think but it's always fun -- like "What Film Would You Watch On Halloween Night?," or in that vein. There's an thrad that was just active regarding "Jaws," et al that would be kind of overlapping but not to worry.
0 Replies