NEW BATTERY NEW ALTERNATOR STILL NOTHING

wdubro1

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
I just got got a new battery a week ago, and i just replaced the alternator today, it jumps starts when i place it specificaly on one spot on the postive terminal, but other then that it stays running when it jump starts but when i turn it off, i cant get it back on, only by jump starting it. Any ideas whats wrong with it.. its stressing me out, so any help would be awesome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 31,599 • Replies: 19

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:38 pm
Is it turning over - or is it just dead silent?

0 Replies

wdubro1

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:45 pm
its just dead silent right now, it turns over when i jump start it.but the battery to me it seems isnt staying charged, when i changed the battery a week ago it had some pretty bad corrosion around the terminal.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:48 pm
@wdubro1,
a couple questions.

year, make, and model would help me better answer you without involving my psychic abilities...

do you have a voltmeter?

are you testing for voltage at all, or just replacing stuff willy-nilly till you fix it?

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:49 pm
Did you clean the terminal heads and the connectors - with a wire brush and baking soda/water solution. There must be a good contact there, or you won't get "juice'

0 Replies

wdubro1

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:54 pm
@Rockhead,
yeah that would help you huh, the year is a 99 ford mustang, v6. no i dont have a voltmeter, but i did take the battery out before replacing the alternator and brought it to autozone and they said the battery was fine. No i didnt clean them, but i did change the terminals after noticing the corosion on the old ones.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:00 pm
@wdubro1,
a voltmeter is the next step. (you can usually purchase a decent one for $20 or so, or borrow one)

when the car is running the alternator should put out in excess of 12 volts (usually around 14)

I would charge the battery to full capacity off of the car, then put it in and measure the voltage when you start it. (the battery should not drop below 9v or so while cranking and then return to 12+)

and clean terminals are necessary.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:10 pm
also a word about the current state of the auto parts business...

just because it is new, does not mean it works.

I am running about a 30% return rate on new parts out of the box, and much worse that that on batteries from Wally-world. (4 0f 5 bad in less than 90 days, customer provided. I don't buy mine there)
wdubro1

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:14 pm
@Rockhead,
ill try and clean the terminals again, but other then that, i just dont understand what it would be.
wdubro1

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:16 pm
@Rockhead,
i got you, so my alternator could be bad just because i bought it new or my battery also, i mean i brought back the new battery and what they used to test it said it was good.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:21 pm
@wdubro1,
I can't answer you much further without voltage readings to guide me.

the solenoid is starter mounted, but I am listing a starter relay in the mix.

a weak starter can cause what you describe, assuming your battery is truly good.

(if they did not charge it to full and load test it, they just shined you on)

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:29 pm
Your bad alternator could have drawn down the battery over the last week, too. Make sure it's got a good charge.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 07:25 am
a few obviouse checks.
Is the battery connected correctly Positive lead to positive terminal.
red to red, black to black. (I hope its the same for the US as AU.)

Do the headlights lights turn on (and stay on for a few minutes) when the car won't start? is the light good quality (strong or weak) does it fade after a few minutes?
This will prove the battery is holding charge or not.

Is any part of the wiring bare or possibly touching the body work of the vehical?

Are ALL connections solid? especially any extra wiring like driving lights, car stereo etc directly connected into the battery or its main wiring loom? check these thouroughly.

0 Replies

MercedesBenzPrincess

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 10:13 am
@Rockhead,
Hello I have an 2005 Mercedes-Benz c230 I just gotten a new battery and alternator put in my car it still won't start try jumping it ,
engineer

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 11:43 am
@MercedesBenzPrincess,
Did it start before you had the new alternator put in? Did it ever start after maintenance?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 12:32 pm
@MercedesBenzPrincess,
MercedesBenzPrincess wrote:

Hello I have an 2005 Mercedes-Benz c230 I just gotten a new battery and alternator put in my car it still won't start try jumping it ,

If it doesn't turn over, it may be the starter.
0 Replies

Naphtali

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 12:21 pm
Okay, so I have a 1999 Mercedes C230K with a new battery (that has been tested with a full charge) and a new alternator (from NAPA auto) however my car will die after extended periods behind the wheel and the battery is not being charged as I am unable to get it started again without a boost. Could the problem lie in an "alternator fuse?"
0 Replies

shenmark

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 02:58 am
I had to replace the battery because it was old and wasn't holding a charge and kept putting my rover in "limp mode". The vehicle was running before .
0 Replies

Tdelariva

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2017 07:32 pm
I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler, brand new battery , alternator, and connectors and it still won’t turn over, it’s dead silent
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2019 03:49 am
Nice try but I'm afraid wdubro1 asked this question in 2009.

Mind you he could still be hanging around waiting for help.

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/fayetteville-nc-usa-10132019-skeleton-260nw-1534458809.jpg
0 Replies