13000-Mcdonalds in USA

tali

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:47 pm
There are 13000-Mcdonalds in USA -is this the most outlets of any organisation in the world?

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:52 pm
@tali,
I'd say that Walmart with their superstores, discount stores and Sam's Club
should be either close to McDonalds numbers if not surpassing them.
Ceili

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:19 pm
I vote for 7-11. In Bangkok, they're two to a block.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:19 pm
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/mcd_us_high_9_25.jpg

There are over 13,000 McDonald’s restaurants in the US, or about 1 for every 23,000 Americans. But even market penetration this advanced doesn’t mean that McDonald’s is everywhere. Somewhere in South Dakota is the McFarthest Spot, the place in the US geographically most removed from the nearest McD’s (*). If you started out from this location, a few miles north of State Highway 20 (which runs latitudinally between Highways 73 in the west and 65 in the east), you’d have to drive 145 miles to get your Big Mac (if you could fly, however, it’d be only 107 miles).
littlek

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:22 pm
Wow, great graphic Boomer.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:25 pm
@boomerang,
Never thought I'd want to move to South Dakota.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:44 pm
@littlek,
It looks like a clogged intestines, doesn't it?
littlek

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 06:00 pm
@boomerang,
It does - especially in the west.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
Walmart is the largest private employer in the United States. I doubt, though, that they have anything even approaching 13,000 outlets.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:16 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

You mean east.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:17 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Yes you are probably right.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:33 pm
@tali,
I heard somewhere that Subway just surpassed McDonalds, not only in the US but in the world. I'll try to track down that source. I remember it was a pretty legit news agency.
kickycan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

littlek wrote:

You mean east.

No, she meant west.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=114648

Quote:
Subway Restaurants, the largest restaurant franchise in the world, is going wide and deep with NBC Sports in a multi-platform marketing deal starring Michael Phelps and brand ambassador Jared Fogle.

I'm off by 350 according to this source:
http://www.kspr.com/news/local/60789592.html
Quote:
Subways About to Surpass McDonald's Worldwide
By KSPR News

Story Created: Sep 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM CDT

Story Updated: Sep 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM CDT
A staple in American fast food is starting to slip.

While McDonald's is slowing its growth to focus on store profitability, Subway is picking up steam.

According to the latest statistics, there are about 32,000 Mickey D's worldwide. Subway is just 350 behind.

The sandwich shop is on pace to surpass to have more restaurants than McDonald's in about nine weeks.

However, just as many stores doesn't mean just as much dough.

According to a food industry research group, the average McDonald's pulls in more than $2 million. A Subway store makes about $500,000.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:43 pm
@tali,
I think this article from a fairly respectable source will answer your question.

Quote:
Posted September 22, 2009

Subway vs. McDonald's: Fast Food Face-Off
By Seth Fiegerman

The Golden Arches may be tumbling soon. Subway recently declared they will have more locations than McDonald’s (Stock Quote: MCD) by the end of this year. Subway currently has 31,771 shops worldwide, but plans to open up several hundred more and surpass McDonald’s record of 32,158 restaurants.

Subway already owns the record at home, beating out McDonald's for most U.S. locations since 2002. They now have more than 22,000 locations in America. There are 1,500 stores in Wal-Mart locations (Stock Quote: WMT) alone, according to Subway’s public relations office.

Meanwhile, McDonald’s still dominates abroad. The burger chain has locations in 118 countries, compared to Subway which is in just 91 countries.

For the rest of the story...
http://www.mainstreet.com/print/13883
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:51 pm
@kickycan,
And YUMA is our anus.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Compared to McDonalds, a Subway shop is cheap to open. McDonalds is also very picky about the people who get one of their franchises - you need about a million bucks and a proven record in some form of business ownership, preferably a food business. Subway will take anyone who has the money to launch (@$50,000). Subway's also fail at a much greater rate than McDonalds, often because of poor location (picked by Subway Corp.) or inexperienced owners. Subway opens something like 3x the amount of stores as McDonalds each year, but only a moderate percentage go on to be profitable. (Just a little more fast food trivia for the thread).
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 04:42 am
@tsarstepan,
I cant believe that a Subway is even closely as profitable as a Mickee D's
0 Replies

tali

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 05:50 pm
@Green Witch,
Another poiint to muddy the waters is that afaik Subways have a lot smaller outlets-perhaps 2 or 3 could fit in to a McDonalds -so on floor space Subways would be lagging far behind?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 07:43 pm
Data Visualization: Distances to Nearest McDonald's
http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20090922-mcd-nearness.jpg
0 Replies