Stephen King to Return to His Horror Roots

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:54 am
it looks like King's new book is a return to the style of books like The Stand or Needful Things

Under the Dome

"On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when"or if"it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens"town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing"even murder"to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out."

it's apparently an idea he's been kicking around for over 25 years, the first draft was a manuscript called The Cannibals, in which a group of people are trapped in an apartment building

looks promising for fans of King's true horror works, and it looks to be a huge read, the submitted manuscript is 1500 pages, about 400 more than longest novel The Stand

chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:58 am
@djjd62,
whoa.

I'm all over it.

Would this be his last?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:04 am
I couldn't help it..... I immediately envisioned The Simpson's Movie as if it had been written by Stephen King.

I love a good horror story so I'll be watching for this.
mac11

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:05 am
It sounds great. Chai, why would it be his last? Do you know something I don't know?
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
Speaking of King, last summer a conversation I had with a mom at the public pool gave me a great idea for a Kingesque tale.

I’m no writer, so if anyone likes the idea, have at it. Just remember me when it becomes a best seller.

I was observing this small boy, about 4, who seemed to be fascinated by the lifeguards. When one of them came down off the stand to take a break, the boy started to approach him, like he was going to ask a question. The lifeguard (a teenager, probably around 17) had his back turned to the boy, and made a quarter turn to put something down on a bench.
I laughed because the little boy had been approaching, and when the lifeguard turned, he made this perfect U turn and quickly skittered away, with his arms pressed down at his sides. I thought he was just shy.

Later I spoke to a woman who was obviously his mother, and told her what happened. She said something like “Oh wow, that’s the closest he’s ever gotten to one of the lifeguards. Last year he wouldn’t even look at them. He’s scared of them, but he’s also obsessed.
She told me he would ask questions like “What (not who) are they? Where do they go at night?”

It reminded me of characters like the Library Policeman, or the Low Men in Insomnia. Like there were “the Lifeguard People” They rarely talk to anyone, and just sit up there wearing those sunglasses, sometimes blowing a whistle. Like the whistle is their form of communication with each other.
I pictured how after everyone leaves at night, the Lifeguard People open up the big swimming pool pump, and climb down below until morning.

What goes on down there, under the pool? Are there little boys and girls that wouldn’t stop running around the pool? What about the kids who peed in the pool?

All the while, the deep humming of the pool pump….or is it breathing?
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:34 am
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:

It sounds great. Chai, why would it be his last? Do you know something I don't know?

Back in 2002, he was talking about retiring after he finished his commitment for a certain # of books.

Apparantly though, he has thought better of that plan. See below....

http://www.usaweekend.com/09_issues/090308/090308king.html
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:36 am
@chai2,
Oh.

Here's the perfect boy to play the role of the intrepid releaser of lost shallow end swimmers....

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/403b882c67e931d19fab3196b85c8ba8?r=R&d=identicon&s=180
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:44 am
@boomerang,
the simpsons movie is mentioned in the wikipedia link i posted
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
It reminded me of characters like the Library Policeman, or the Low Men in Insomnia.
were there Low Men in insomnia?
i only remember them from Hearts in Atlantis...

R(placing my book order asap)P
djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
it was the weird little doctors in Insomnia
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:38 pm
since Hearts in Atlantis, i haven't been too impressed with King, didn't read Duma Key, and kind of liked Lisey's Story, but he's really at his best with his long character driven tales

Cell was decent, but seemed incomplete for some reason
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:46 pm
@djjd62,

you should read duma key -- good characters, decent plot...
djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:57 pm
@Region Philbis,
may have to give it a go

i've had a love hate relationship with king over the years, loved the first few books, but christine and cujo put me off reading others for a while
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
It reminded me of characters like the Library Policeman, or the Low Men in Insomnia.
were there Low Men in insomnia?
i only remember them from Hearts in Atlantis...

R(placing my book order asap)P

Yeah, when he was crazed by lack of sleep, he went into another dimension, and was wandering around in these cluttered halls or something, which was were they lived.

Also, you know how he could see the baloons coming out of people heads?
The low men would try to cut the cords.
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

you should read duma key -- good characters, decent plot...

yeah, it was very self auto-biographical like.

wierd little doctors, low men, same difference.

sheesh.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:29 pm
@chai2,
nope, low men Hearts in Atlantis

Hearts in Atlantis (1999) is a collection of two novellas and three short stories

1.1 Low Men in Yellow Coats
1.2 Hearts in Atlantis
1.3 Blind Willie
1.4 Why We're in Vietnam
1.5 Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling

and Insomnia has the weird little doctors

They eventually discover that their insomnia has in fact been induced by the two little bald doctors, who represent the Purpose (Order, Good), to enable them to defeat the agents of the Random (Chaos, Evil) - namely the third doctor and the Crimson King.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:35 pm
ah

weird little doctors - good
low men - bad

they still scared me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:43 pm
When King started his career of ever longer books in the 1980's with "It" and "The Tommyknockers", He reached a nadir in his skills IMHO. Later, with "The Girl Who loved..." and 'Liseys Story" and even "Duma Key" , he started to get some of his mojo back. This EPIC long book has me a bit concerned that hes back exchanging volume for quality.
djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
the girl who loved tom gordon is a great book

as for length, i don't worry too much that if the story grabs me, the stand is his longest book to date, and one of my faves
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:51 pm
Yep, I think it's time to read The Stand again.
0 Replies