lyrics needed for old lullaby

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:44 pm
This is a old lullaby my wifes mother sang to her 7 kids.
of the sisters all over 50 all the can remember is the last few lines.Maybe someone can help fill in the mystery. here is all
i know. "go to sleepy little baby,when you wake you will patty,patty cake and ride a tiny pony" thanks for any help . [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,659 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 10:06 pm
http://www.imeem.com/croonersandsongbirds/blogs/category/5uv1FOZ4/?p=4

In 1943, she began her own radio program, The Judy Canova Show , that ran for a dozen years, first on CBS and then on NBC. During World War II, she closed her show with the song "Goodnight, Soldier" ("wherever you may be... my heart's
lonely... without you") and used her free time to sell U.S. War Bonds.

In the post-War years, she ended each show by singing a nursery song:

Go to sleep-y, little baby,
Go to sleep-y, little baby,
When you wake
You'll patty-patty cake,
And ride a shiny little pony.

From what I can see, this maybe a translation of a Swedish nursery rhyme/lullaby.
cheryl p

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:54 pm
@Ceili,
Celi,Thank you so much for your help.Now we know where her mother got it as she spent hours listening to the radio in those days.Wonder what my chances would be of finding the lyrics to the whole lullaby or finding the author.You feel it is of Swedish origin.maybe I will try looking up the "judy Canova" show Thanks agan. Cheryl
cheryl p

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:22 pm
@cheryl p,
I found what I needed,the author and all the lyric's by going to a karriokee site. thank you all for your kind help. Cheryl
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:31 pm
@cheryl p,
Welcome to a2k, Cheryl..
Dion

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
You wouldn't happen to know the name of that Swedish nursery rhyme would you? I've been looking for the lyrics myself as my grandmother used to sing it to me as well. I'm also trying to find one that contains the lyrics, "and you'll always be your mommy's little chocolate soldier" and "always be a good little soldier like your mommy told you" as best I can remember. Is this from the opera "Chocolate Soldier" by any chance? I haven't been able to find any lyrics from it.
Thank you for your help,
Dion
0 Replies