What are the scariest documentaries you have ever watched?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:56 pm
@Green Witch,
As soon as I get a job, I'll reinstate my comatose Netflix account.

Then I'll put your recommendations on my queue. Smile
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:51 pm
May I take scary to the broader meaning of generating strong emotions ?

I can no longer watch Holocaust docos. It sickens me to think of industrialised murder.

The most outraged I have ever been was "An Inconvenient Truth". Selected science theory, not fact, and with a political spin that made weapons of mass destruction look factual.

The scariest doco ? Ones based on the possiblity of very large volcanic eruptions. Our world economy is far more delicate then generally realised. Or ones based on human population problems.

As for fiction, I dont go to the movies to see horror movies. I have a habit of laughing at how corny and stupid they are, which results in some people in the theatre being more scared of me than the movie.

When "The Exorcist" came out, it was supposedly based on a true story and they had ambulances waiting out side of some theatres. Some people suicided, some fainted, some went to church...I fell asleep and when I woke up the girl had a hold of her mum and was screaming "lick me". I yelled out "I'll do it !!" and was removed from the theatre. How could people who didnt believe in God suddenly believe in the Devil ?? Worst (based on facts ??) movie EVER!!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:14 pm
I recently watched a British journalist's documentary on Jacko. Scary. So many people were complicit with his child abuse. He made up the weird character, based on his admiration of P.T. Barnum. Then he taunted the authorities with his "love" of children.
Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:43 pm
@Ceili,
In any instance of child abuse there are always those who have turned a blind eye...the Catholic Church, for example.. Money bought Whacko Jacko immunity. Fame bought him gullibility of others. Servants brought him children.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 02:01 pm
I can't recommend the depressing Food Inc. enough.

Just finished watching it. The film is a cinematic survey on the issue of the massive corporatization and megaconsolidation of the global food industry. Very powerful, very scary stuff!
Green Witch

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 02:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, it can be a downer, in a good way. You will not crave a McBurger as an after movie snack. However, the first step to change is acknowledging there is a problem. Most people never give any thought about where their food comes from and how it is made. Informing people about what goes on in the food industry will make them want to support alternatives. Maybe insist we take away the tax money that goes to support these horror shows - even if it means paying a little more at the cash register. It certain makes a person want to hit the Farmer's Market instead of Costco.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 06:49 pm
Just finished watching a very effectively scary horrormentary or docuhorror:
Countdown to Zero (2010).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1572769/

A documentary about the need for the elimination of nuclear weapons and the increase in global security to prevent any further countries and rogue terrorist groups from making or acquiring any of their own nuclear weapons.

What made it effectively scary was the divulging of the all too many close calls of near misinterpreted attacks between the former Soviet Union and the US. As well as the many instances of lost nuclear missiles that have never been found.

The discussion on the simplicity of creating a bomb from on the commercial market parts in the target city by terrorists was the strongest of the film's warning points.

Some of these well documented historical incidents and almost incidents were already well known and highly publicized scandals but their ad nauseum repetition depicted here in the documentary serves its purpose well as it drives home the point like a sledgehammer buries a railroad nail into the ground to secure the track for the safety of the train and those who ride that train.

A documentary rated at an 8 out of 10.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 07:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
The scariest thing for me was a document re dachau. I didn't watch it, it was a document in hand. I was nine or ten.
Well, that was when I saw the document.
Obviously others suffered.
This is hard to talk about.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 07:56 pm
I suppose I should find it in my stuff and post. I'm not sure I could bear doing that.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd appreciate the effort but I appreciate the thought of bringing it forth to a public eye even more. Personal items and items such as this shouldn't be trivialized in such a manner as this thread.

I'd suggest leaving it be and not submitting it here. Not worth the pain of opening these old wounds and also possibly causing a backlash of acid mouth from whomever will try to jerkishly jump on it for whatever poor reason or agenda they might have to attack such a posting.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 08:45 pm
Watched the deeply depressing documentary, The Cove (2009), the 2010 Oscar Feature Documentary winner.
http://www.takepart.com/thecove

It's one part real-life Oceans' Eleven and one part morality tale.

A year later after the film winning the award and the filmmaker's cause has gotten that much more global exposure, it's that much more depressing to see that nothing has changed.
Ionus

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 10:56 pm
Quote:
What are the scariest documentaries you have ever watched?
The X Files. Some really scary **** in those docos.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 09:36 am
Finally getting around to the nightmare documentary, Jesus Camp. Watching it now on Netflix streaming.

An absolutely terrifying film on the sinister and brainwashed hive mind of the evangelical population of the US .
Ionus

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
I support religion and that level of stupidity frightens the crap out of me.....you are a braver man than me, gunga din.....oh, and if you have a bed wetting problem and night terrors, you cant sue them.....believe me.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 08:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
I came here to add The Cove to the list, but you already had. Things have changed. First there is a back up of unused meat - sad for the dolphins already slaughtered, but hopeful for the ones who haven't been yet. A more bittersweet second point is that the tsunami gutted much of the fishing trade in the town the movie was set in.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 04:39 pm
@littlek,
The fishermen of Japan are now in a more difficult situation given the recent events. It's a lose/lose time for them right now.

~~
Just finished watching the political tale of bigotry and intolerance: 8: The Mormon Proposition (2009). The well documented documentary where the Mormon church basically spearheaded the antigay marriage law in California by bankrolling the campaign with $$millions$$.

0 Replies

Stevedavis

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 12:05 am
Paranormal Activity !!!!!!!people said its real!!!!!Almighty Lord That was something scary
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:50 am
@Stevedavis,
I was very skeptical on how scary it was going to be but it was but admittedly Paranormal Activity is an effectively creepy film. Notable acting and great atmosphere.

However, even the filmmakers themselves admit to the film's lack of pedigree:
Fake Documentary
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179904/keywords

Sorry to burst your bubble but the 'based on true story' rumors were part of the filmmakers' guerrilla marketing campaign.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:59 pm
Though I haven't watched it or likely ever watch it without someone paying me a lot of money in order to compensate for the pain and suffering to the exposure to the film, I am intrigued and utterly disturbed by the following limited theatrical release of the untrumpeted biopropaganda piece, The Undefeated:
http://i51.tinypic.com/5ebyvm.jpg
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/771245638/

Quote:
While Stephen K. Bannon’s documentary The Undefeated can accurately be described as a giant Sarah Palin campaign commercial, that can’t possibly convey the strangeness of watching it. The film isn’t just structured like a political ad, relenting in its singing of Palin’s praises only to spare a few moments to decry her enemies. It looks and sounds like an ad, too, with jittery, rapid-fire editing; wall-to-wall music that either thrums ominously or swells in triumph; and a Greek chorus of adoring interviewees expelling sound bites in front of a white backdrop.

By Alison Willmore July 14, 2011
For the rest of the review
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-undefeated,58907/
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:09 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Food Inc. is the better of the two. Bigger budget, more professional execution. If you like this type of documentary I also recommend King Korn, The Real Dirt On Farmer John, and Homegrown. I seem to recall you also do not have TV, you might want to join NetFlix. It's cheaper than most video store rentals and you can watch many things instantly on-line.

king corn -
http://www.truveo.com/King-Corn-14/id/2264276201

i wish more people would watch these shows . It is always scary how oblivious people are to what is really in their food.
0 Replies