what does that mean?

alius

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:03 pm
what does"Be down for the cause, be my misses set it off, she can add to the po-po-po,had some Betsy Ross" mean?

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:24 pm
Don't expect us to do your homework assignments for you.
dadpad

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:26 pm
What do you think it means?

It really makes no sense at all to me.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:36 pm
@chai2,
I don't think this is homework (and a2k's weirdly paranoid about homework). I think it's confusion about the lyrics to a rap song. See here: http://www.lyrics4mp3.com/lyrics/jjmqjm_flo+rida+akon+guarentee.html

Like many lyrics, I don't think it means a whole lot outside of the author's head. And like almost all the "we don't do your homework" replies, I bet you don't know the answer anyway.
chai2

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
wow Robert, I really thought that was someone's homework assignment, probably given to the students by Sister Miriam Fidelis.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Actually, I think it has something to do with the police, and having sex on the American flag.

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:10 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
wow Robert, I really thought that was someone's homework assignment, probably given to the students by Sister Miriam Fidelis.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Wow, I really thought that you thought it was homework. Thanks for setting me straight.

Quote:
Actually, I think it has something to do with the police, and having sex on the American flag.

I think it means the rapper is incoherent, but there might be some kind of inside lingo that I'm not hip to.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:11 pm
really...the po po are the police, and betsy ross is doing it on the flag.

i kid you not.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:14 pm
@chai2,
I didn't know of the Betsy Ross slang, but even then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:37 pm
It's part of the "lyrics" to a rap song, sounds like reggae rap, by Akon, which is basically telling how he's really cool on the club scene and you've gotta be good to him if you want him to shower any of his largesse on you. That particular bit of it is particularly impenetrable, which is probably why the guy has posted the same question on at least two other forums, which didn't have much of an idea either.
http://www.elyrics.net/read/a/akon-lyrics/guarantee-ft.-flo-rida-lyrics.html

and on youTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/danster707
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:41 pm
@chai2,
And you thought that was on a homework assignment. Schools are different now, I guess.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:46 pm
@roger,
rap is now popular enough to have sub-groups of styles.

I believe this to be of style C.

as in C rap.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 09:32 pm
@alius,
alius wrote:

what does"Be down for the cause, be my misses set it off, she can add to the po-po-po,had some Betsy Ross" mean?

In the context of the rest of the lyrics....he is saying that out of all the things the club can provide him....drinks, music, dancing...etc....the main thing he really wants in the club, the club itself does not provide as a direct service...getting laid.

As most young men tend to do, he has made this his cause....and he then lays out his plan to a young woman....asking her to assist him in achieving his objective, by

1. Promising to buy her drinks, if she is receptive.

2. Her understanding of the fact that he needs sexual gratification, as this has become his goal for the night.

3. Her agreeing to be the recipient/participant of said sexual activity, and to not be shy about it, perhaps even being the initiator.

4. Asking her not to talk too much.

The reference to Betsy Ross; a revolutionary war seamstress, who might have created the first American flag, or at least helped in it's initial stages....I do believe is simply used because her name somewhat rhymes with cause/clause. Perhaps there are some deeper underlying meanings in the lyrics that could be alluding to various other well known themes of the revolution....the birth of a nation, the shot heard round the world, the founding fathers, or even a bicameral legislature.

Though I believe that her name is used for poetic purposes only, I would be glad to mull this over if you feel it is warrented.

He states that he would also like for his friends to get laid, indicating that he is a team player, and not completly self absorbed....he also states that he will have nothing to do with a Dr that has bad handwriting, and he asks the young lady if she could spit for him, to check her salavia for mucus...perhaps he was a pre-med student before becoming a singer, or is simply mysophobic.

roger

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 09:37 pm
@2PacksAday,
I'm sticking with the "Homework from a really tough school district" school of thought.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 03:50 am
My only question is: are there enough people taking the time to get a flag to make love on that there is a cultural or sub-cultural reference to such acts.
Joe(Oo, you are hot. Let me go get my flag, I'll be right back. ~~~)Nation
2PacksAday

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yeah, exactly.

I did see something else that made more sense....the use of her name meaning...something was a done deal...as in all sewed up....that would actually fit.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 05:05 am
@2PacksAday,
Makes more sense to me, but I'm old.

Joe(remembers Eric Clapton before he was a god.)Nation
0 Replies

alius

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 04:08 am
@2PacksAday,
hi . i read your answer very well and thank you from that but i think a lot and this is my idea : even though i know betsy ross but i think had some Betsy Ross means: When you have sex with a girl on her period and she wipes on the sheets kind of like the stripes on the American flag.
and po-po-po :can get as wild as the police
but i'm not sure and try to find the really answer maybe that is double entendre
panzade

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:47 am
@alius,
I'm an ol' geezer so I don't comprehend a lot of the rap lyrics but I appreciate the complex alliteration, historical allusions and symbolism that sometimes rivals T S Eliot's The Wasteland.

Sometimes the real answer is what it means to YOU.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:56 am
@alius,
Alius,

Most of that post was tongue-in-cheek, I do that a lot....but I did take your question serious, as I often wonder about the same kind of thing.

Most of the chorus is pretty self explanatory, and I was serious in that part of the post at least....the po po po part....I listened to the song, and I can't say if that is what he is actually saying or not. Often in music....very much so in rap, the artist will just make nonsense words up, or use random syllables as fills between beats or words....Snoop of course, but also folks like Frank Sinatra and Freddy Mercury used this technique also.

It very well could mean something about the police....I really don't know.

Mrs. Ross, now that you've mentioned it, I do remember hearing something before about the striped sheets....but when and where, I have no clue....and if this were a 2 Live Crew song, I'd say you were right....but in context, I don't think that fits.

"Dayuum gurl, you look like you could mens-strate like a muh fuker, won't cha come home wit me and bleed all over my ****"

The machismo factor in these songs tends to be off the charts, and those two things don't mix well....{macho vs feminine hygiene} unless it comes up as an insult....but you never know....if you read the full lyrics, he says some really odd things that sort of make sense, but not really when they are all jumbled together....lots of slang, and really that's what the bulk of the song is made of...urban slang strung together with a nice cadence.
0 Replies

BarbroIsaksson

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 06:47 pm
@alius,
Im not quite sure also. But im pretty sure it has sick lyrics and rhymes... is it a song?
0 Replies