Ellen DeGeneres--American Idol Judge?

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:45 am
Ellen DeGeneres joins judges' table on 'American Idol'

Quote:
Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres will join the judges' panel on "American Idol" for the show's ninth season beginning in 2010, a Fox spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday.

"I'm thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol," DeGeneres said Wednesday. "I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote."

The popular comedian and entertainer will fill a seat left vacant by Paula Abdul, who announced she was leaving the show in August after eight seasons.

I'm not convinced that Ellen can fill Paula's shoes. She just doesn't seem to fit into the mold of a judge for a singing competition. Do you think she will give constructive criticism or just crack jokes? Will she flirt with Simon?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,415 • Replies: 17
No top replies

mismi

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:24 am
@Debra Law,
I think it's great. She has the ability to be serious and I think she would make great calls...But she will be hilarious! I love her. And she will have the "nice" factor. She might flirt with Simon, who knows?

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:32 am
@Debra Law,
it seems pretty obvious that they wanted abdul out, and they want to do everything they can to fill that seat to keep her out

to be honest, i've never watched one episode of the show, but i think she's a good choice, her fans probably already watch the show, so it's not going to be a shock to the audience, she's universally liked and popular, i see it as win win
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:08 am
I DON'T THINK SHE'S A GOOD CHOICE BUT ONLY BECAUSE SHE'S NOT a music business veteran... excuse those caps
DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:09 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Since when does it require music business experience to judge a karaoke contest?
mismi

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:12 pm
@DrewDad,
That's not exactly a karaoke contest DrewDad. The beginning of it is certainly reminds me of one...but towards the end - you can see the ones who have serious talent seperating themselves from the ones who are okay but don't have the chops to make it - MOST of the time anyway.

I can see where BPB has a leg to stand on there. But they have Simon and the other chick and Randy Jackson who do have music and production backgrounds. They need something or someone different - something that makes you want to come back to watch A.I...because really - it's just the same ol' same ol'. I think Ellen was a good idea.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:14 pm
The entire show is a joke to begin with, what's the diff if they put a comedian up there to add some more humor to the equation?

The only part of American Idol worth watching is the auditions, and she's going to absolutely murder during those.

Cycloptichorn
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
Yes! I also like the auditions the most and I can only imagine what Ellen
has to say to the contestants. She's naturally witty and charming at the same
time, it will be a riot.

Who cares if she has a background in music or not - all of American Idol is
manipulated anyways. Last season showed us all to clearly that a mediocre
but clean-cut Christian boy from Arkansas only won because his opponent
was gay and more flamboyant. Yet Adam had the better singing voice, no
question about it.

Debra Law

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:09 pm
DeGeneres' "Idol" gig splits fans but brings buzz
Quote:
DeGeneres, who has no musical background but says she is an avid fan of the show, told "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest on Thursday that she would be the people's voice on the panel.

"I'm just a fan like everyone else," she told Seacrest in an interview on his Los Angeles morning radio show. "The people choose. Ultimately it comes down to them, not some executive in the music industry. I hope to be that voice."

Mike Darnell, president of alternative entertainment for Fox, said producers felt that "her vast entertainment experience -- combined with her quick wit and passion for music -- will add a fresh new energy to the show."

Entertainment Weekly's Michael Slezak acknowledged that the addition of DeGeneres had created a huge buzz. But he called the move "a big risk" on the part of producers given the comedian's lackluster appearance as a guest judge on Fox's sister TV reality show "So You Think You Can Dance" earlier this year.

I saw Ellen's appearance as a guest judge on SYTYCD -- and I thought she really sucked eggs. I hope she steps up her game.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:11 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it seems pretty obvious that they wanted abdul out, and they want to do everything they can to fill that seat to keep her out

to be honest, i've never watched one episode of the show, but i think she's a good choice, her fans probably already watch the show, so it's not going to be a shock to the audience, she's universally liked and popular, i see it as win win

I don't think they wanted Paula out -- they just didn't want to meet her money demands. Don't you think Paula is worth as much as Simon and Randy?
Debra Law

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:13 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I think it's great. She has the ability to be serious and I think she would make great calls...But she will be hilarious! I love her. And she will have the "nice" factor. She might flirt with Simon, who knows?

I love Ellen too. But her appearance on SYTYCD wasn't stellar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Last season showed us all to clearly that a mediocre
was gay and more flamboyant.

pertinent comment given that as I was leaving work I was watching the news clips on the little tv in the elevator. The news about Ellen and AI came on. I made some kind of "oh, interesting" sound. A fellow in the other corner of the elevator just about turned purple, saying "I'll never watch that show again if they're having THAT lesbian on." I made another "oh, interesting" sound and waited for the ground floor with everyone else.
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:15 pm
@Debra Law,
never watched the show, but from what i gleaned through talk shows discussing AI, paula was a whack job, and a little less than stable, i assumed that a new contract was the perfect excuse to get rid of her

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The entire show is a joke to begin with, what's the diff if they put a comedian up there to add some more humor to the equation?

The only part of American Idol worth watching is the auditions, and she's going to absolutely murder during those.

Cycloptichorn

Unfortunately, Ellen will not be getting her feet wet starting with the auditions. I think her comedic responses to the untalented attention seekers who audition would have us all in stitches. The producers announced that her involvement in American Idol won't begin until after the auditions are over.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:33 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Unfortunately, Ellen will not be getting her feet wet starting with the auditions. I think her comedic responses to the untalented attention seekers who audition would have us all in stitches. The producers announced that her involvement in American Idol won't begin until after the auditions are over.

Well, damn. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:
Last season showed us all to clearly that a mediocre
was gay and more flamboyant.

pertinent comment given that as I was leaving work I was watching the news clips on the little tv in the elevator. The news about Ellen and AI came on. I made some kind of "oh, interesting" sound. A fellow in the other corner of the elevator just about turned purple, saying "I'll never watch that show again if they're having THAT lesbian on." I made another "oh, interesting" sound and waited for the ground floor with everyone else.

Although there will always be the haters (to hell with them), I don't think that Adam lost because he was gay. I'm pretty sure he lost because an outrageous number of Kris's votes came from one state and there were enough of those votes to put Kris over the top.

See: American Idol Controversy: Did AT&T Contribute to Kris Allen Victory?

If I remember correctly, it was reported that over 30 million votes were cast from Arkansas -- and the population in that state is approx. 3 million people. Perhaps if Adam fans had free phones and were taught how to repeatly cast 10 votes with the press of one button, Adam would be the winner of American Idol instead of Kris. But I can't see where Adam really lost anything. He has a huge fan base and is free to launch his career unrestricted by American Idol contractual obligations that would otherwise bind the winner.

Here's a youtube clip of Adam on the AI tour:

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:50 pm
@Debra Law,
I agree Debra, Adam hasn't lost anything. At the end of the day, he will be
more popular than Kris. I just wanted to point out the utter manipulation on American Idol, and that Ellen ultimately won't affect the voting at all.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
@Debra Law,
I sent you a PM with a question on it.
If you can, would you look at it and answer.
It has nothing to do with anything that has been talked about.
Thanx, your answer will tell me what to do.
0 Replies