Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 12:39 pm
Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft of S.773 (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

"I think the redraft, while improved, remains troubling due to its vagueness," said Larry Clinton, president of the Internet Security Alliance, which counts representatives of Verizon, Verisign, Nortel, and Carnegie Mellon University on its board. "It is unclear what authority Sen. Rockefeller thinks is necessary over the private sector. Unless this is clarified, we cannot properly analyze, let alone support the bill."

Representatives of other large Internet and telecommunications companies expressed concerns about the bill in a teleconference with Rockefeller's aides this week, but were not immediately available for interviews on Thursday.

A spokesman for Rockefeller also declined to comment on the record Thursday, saying that many people were unavailable because of the summer recess. A Senate source familiar with the bill compared the president's power to take control of portions of the Internet to what President Bush did when grounding all aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001. The source said that one primary concern was the electrical grid, and what would happen if it were attacked from a broadband connection.

When Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate Commerce committee, and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) introduced the original bill in April, they claimed it was vital to protect national cybersecurity. "We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs--from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records," Rockefeller said.

The Rockefeller proposal plays out against a broader concern in Washington, D.C., about the government's role in cybersecurity. In May, President Obama acknowledged that the government is "not as prepared" as it should be to respond to disruptions and announced that a new cybersecurity coordinator position would be created inside the White House staff. Three months later, that post remains empty, one top cybersecurity aide has quit, and some wags have begun to wonder why a government that receives failing marks on cybersecurity should be trusted to instruct the private sector what to do.

Rockefeller's revised legislation seeks to reshuffle the way the federal government addresses the topic. It requires a "cybersecurity workforce plan" from every federal agency, a "dashboard" pilot project, measurements of hiring effectiveness, and the implementation of a "comprehensive national cybersecurity strategy" in six months--even though its mandatory legal review will take a year to complete.

The privacy implications of sweeping changes implemented before the legal review is finished worry Lee Tien, a senior staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. "As soon as you're saying that the federal government is going to be exercising this kind of power over private networks, it's going to be a really big issue," he says.

Probably the most controversial language begins in Section 201, which permits the president to "direct the national response to the cyber threat" if necessary for "the national defense and security." The White House is supposed to engage in "periodic mapping" of private networks deemed to be critical, and those companies "shall share" requested information with the federal government. ("Cyber" is defined as anything having to do with the Internet, telecommunications, computers, or computer networks.)

"The language has changed but it doesn't contain any real additional limits," EFF's Tien says. "It simply switches the more direct and obvious language they had originally to the more ambiguous (version)...The designation of what is a critical infrastructure system or network as far as I can tell has no specific process. There's no provision for any administrative process or review. That's where the problems seem to start. And then you have the amorphous powers that go along with it."

Translation: If your company is deemed "critical," a new set of regulations kick in involving who you can hire, what information you must disclose, and when the government would exercise control over your computers or network.

The Internet Security Alliance's Clinton adds that his group is "supportive of increased federal involvement to enhance cyber security, but we believe that the wrong approach, as embodied in this bill as introduced, will be counterproductive both from an national economic and national secuity perspective."

Please tell me this is not a left vs right thing and that everyone thinks this is a terrible idea. Remember this, Obama will not always be President. Do you want the next Republican President to have this power?

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 02:10 pm
You've got one joker, Rockefeller, who is pushing this bill, or so it appears from this article. Do you have any good reason to believe that the Congress will pass this? Do you have any good reason to assume that Mr. Obama is "on board" in this effort? You've got an article from a techy news source, for whom this is going to be big news. Hardly an unbiased source, and a source which might well magnify something like this because it would be thought to be of interest to their particular readership. Note that according to this article, Mr. Obama's "cybersecurity" efforts are dismal, and getting worse--hardly reason to believe that he, at least, has any "Big Brother" plans for the internet.

This is, in my opinion, a case of not hollering until you're hurt. Will you get back to us if this actually reaches the floor of the Senate, and a conference committee is established with the House?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 02:20 pm
@McGentrix,
omigawd, what was Olympia Snowe (R) thinking!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 02:49 pm
@McGentrix,
Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all.
roger

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 03:55 pm
@FreeDuck,
Are you taking this seriously, then?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 03:59 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all.

problem is that we, even recently, have been getting heavy banging on u.s. servers by the chinese, and others.

i guess an argument could be made that in the event of a massive slam, one that could potentially cause problems with missle launches etc., it might be best in the long run to allow the gubermint to have the ability to shut down the net.

not that i like the idea much. i'd prefer they beef up the firewalls and encryption algorithms.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 04:04 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Are you taking this seriously, then?

Seriously enough to look into to see if it's something I should be concerned about.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 04:20 pm
Here are the relevant bits (as far as I can tell) from the bill:

Sec. 1(9) According to the February 2003 National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace, ‘our nation’s critical infrastructures are composed of public and private institutions in the sectors of agriculture, food, water, public health, emergency services, government, defense industrial base, information and telecommunications, energy, transportation, banking finance, chemicals and hazardous materials, and postal and shipping. Cyberspace is their nervous system--the control system of our country’ and that ‘the cornerstone of America’s cyberspace security strategy is and will remain a public-private partnership.’.

Sec. 18(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic to and from any compromised Federal Government or United States critical infrastructure information system or network;
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 04:56 pm
It might be time to sharpen a #2 pencil and practice writing legibly. Any brown-out of the internet could also bring monies back into the post office, not to mention newspapers. This internet may have just been, in effect, freeloading on our pay for use economy. Youngsters may not like it, but old timers might even like the nostalgia of the '70's lifestyle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
HELLO EVERYBODY

Can anyone here tell what the current status of this bill is? Does anyone here, doing the Chicken Little imitation, have a reasonable estimation of the probability of this bill being passed? Among those here who are so concerned about this, have any of you contacted your Senators and your Representative to tell them you don't want them voting for something like this?
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 06:51 pm
@Setanta,
Hey Set. I just recently discovered www.opencongress.org. It's a great resource. According to them it has been sitting in the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation since April. By looking at the comments, it's pretty obvious that this was in today's conservative mail rounds.
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 06:58 pm
oh....I thought you were talking about occom bill.

carry on....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 07:32 pm
@FreeDuck,
yeah, it's been around for a while. there was similar wtf? ism about it back then too, but it didn't catch on.

maybe because the government is rethinking this whole cyber thing to the point they threw cold water on the USAF Cyber Command recently as well.

your funny about the email stuff, ducks. i couldn't believe some of the crap i found in my ma's desk from the pachyderm clubs and that bunch when i was clearing out the house last year.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:22 pm
@FreeDuck,
If it has been sitting in committee for more than four months, the odds are pretty good that it's not going anywhere. This is just McG practicing the now tried and true conservative method, the scare tactic, the panic attack. Bills, even those which have bi-partisan sponsorship, mean little to nothing, unless and until they get out of committee, with a recommendation. They are also probably doomed unless a similar bill is being sponsored in the other House. Even then, the bill has to get out of two committees--one in the Senate and one in the House, and then it almost invariably goes to a conference committee of members of the Senate and the House who work to produce language acceptable to both houses. It is extremely rare for a bill to be introduced in both houses with the same language, and to survive in that form by the time it reaches the floors of the respective houses.

Note that McG alleges that this should not be a partisan issue, and asked (one assumes rhetorically) if libruls would want a Republican president to have such power. This is one of those "have you stopped beating your wife" style of questions, one which begs the inferential question here. His question assumes the bill will be passed and that Mr. Obama will sign it, and all will be hunky-dory for the "enemies of freedom." (That's no joke on my part, either, gun control opponents here, even those few who are intelligent and articulate, routine refer to their ideological opponents as "the freedom haters.")

No matter how you answer McG's question at the end of his post, you inferentially accept an assumption that this bill has legs, will pass two houses after emerging from two committees and after having been reconciled in a conference committee, and that Mr. Obama will sign it, and that there isn't a goddamned thing we can do about it.

Anyone genuinely worried about this needs to contact their Senators and their Representative. But this is definitely a "don't holler 'til you're hurt" situation, and it's typical conservative scare tactics.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 01:32 am
@Setanta,
Why do you feel the need to be such a dick? Seriously, go the **** away and bother someone else's **** if you don't like my posts.

You lay your bullshit thicker then anyone on here and you think I have some secret agenda about this? Like I would actually put that much thought into something I put here.

It was a news item on cnet. Now, I doubt you would lower your fat ass to actually read something besides Salon or the other liberal drool inducing vomitoriums you visit regularly, but cnet isn't known exactly for it's political leanings and discussions. I doubt they would have posted anything about it if it had no legs.

The question I asked was quite serious. I thought that some people might actually be interested in something like this. I know you and other ass wipes here like the derision you create and like to smell your own farts and that's why you keep shitting in these threads, but please do me the small favor of keeping your disgusting odors from polluting my threads. I'd rather have them sit with no replies then to see you in them.

As far as "Anyone genuinely worried about this needs to contact their Senators and their Representative." How the **** would anyone know about it if they don't read about it? Isn't that one of the reasons A2K exists?

So, let me reiterate set, **** off, go to hell and piss on your own shoes.

Have a nice day.

I expect you will come back with some "mcwhitey" comment and then try to play it off, but seriously, **** off.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 05:32 am
As i have pointed out, this is mere scare tactics. This bill has been sitting in committee for four months, with no recommendation to the Senate floor. You provide no evidence that there is a comparable bill in the House. There is no reason to assume that this bill will make it out of committee, much less be passed by both houses--so why operate from an assumption that it will become law?

As i have also pointed out, anyone concerned with this issue can and should contact their Senators and their Representative. Having an panic fest on the idea of what it would be like if this bill were passed, though, is just typical conservative Chicken Little hysteria. It's what the conservatives have been up to ever since they invented the "war on terror."

Don't holler 'til you're hurt, McG. (You'll note that i have referred to you as McG throughout this thread, and have indulged in no invidious personal reflections. Now, of course, you cannot make the same claim.) Have a wonderful day, and don't forget to contact your members of Congress.
slkshock7

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It's what the conservatives have been up to ever since they invented the "war on terror".

Come on, Set....that's a bit beyond the pale...Surely you don't consider the death of almost 3000 Americans on 9/11 or the attack on the Cole in 2000, or even the Marines and embassy bombings to be part of some right-wing conspiracy to scare the public into supporting their policies.

Having said that, you are correct that conservatives regularly indulge in scare tactics when they see their own policies or their own way of life threatened. It's an easy method to energize their base. And if the fear can be expanded broadly into the general public without strong rebuttal from the other side, then that fear is legitimized in their own minds. Liberals do the same when they claim that bankruptcy from some catastrophic illness is just around the corner...or that, if a conservative judge is added to the SC, then women's reproductive choices will be limited to a coat hanger. Or the world will end in a few decades if we don't somehow limit our emissions.

Conservatives don't have a corner on the use of scare tactics and the war on terror certainly isn't a scare tactic.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:53 am
@slkshock7,
Quote:
Come on, Set....that's a bit beyond the pale...Surely you don't consider the death of almost 3000 Americans on 9/11 or the attack on the Cole in 2000, or even the Marines and embassy bombings to be part of some right-wing conspiracy to scare the public into supporting their policies.

No, nor is there anything in what i wrote which remotely suggests as much. It is incidents such as the attack on USS Cole, the African embassies, and the World Trade Center which are used by demagogues to justify things such as "Homeland Security," the attempt to get access to everyone's telephone records, the trashing of American principles of jurisprudence, "extraordinary renditions" which send people to countries in which torture is practiced as a routine interrogation technique which are the result of pumping up hysteria and fear. It is to such things as that that i refer.

The attacks which were made on the United States were certainly carried out by terrorists with an agenda of their own. The entire cozy little "war on terror" package with which the Shrub and Company hoped to cover a multitude of evils certain was a scare tactic.
Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 10:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It is incidents such as the attack on USS Cole, the African embassies, and the World Trade Center which are used by demagogues ...

Would anyone say that "demigods," as opposed to "demagogues" are the perception of some on the Left, as to who they want to vote for?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The entire cozy little "war on terror" package with which the Shrub and Company hoped to cover a multitude of evils certain was a scare tactic.

BS..pure and simple...The war on terror was in direct response to these actions from muslim extremists and the CIA's mistaken belief that Hussein was hiding wmd and willing to provide the same to these extremists. The war had nothing to do with diverting attention from some "multitude of evils" you've dreamed up.