Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 08:56 pm
What a broad topic that surrounds us in everyday life. I want to get as many responses to this question. What role or meaning does suffering play in human life? I encourage you to incorporate anything your mind can produce. Tie it into a theme from a novel, introduce religious aspects, personal aspect, worldly relation. It is an interesting topic and shall be the theme through out my essay I am writing for a class. Please do not put down any ones comments, just generate your own thoughts or create an appropriate debate. Do not call someone dumb - if you disagree, explain why. I hope something comes of this, have fun everyone. I look forward to reading what you all have to say! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,618 • Replies: 3
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 11:58 pm
Is there an explanation for why we have suffering or is it just the way the cards have been dealt?
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 12:48 am
@neologist,
It's just the cussedness of things, neo. It's the way things are because things can't be any other way.
popeye1945

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 04:13 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry, Suffering and fear are elements of biological wisdom, warnings of sometimes to late calls for action. Fear you might say is an element of suffering and it keeps us from doing some really stupid life threatening things. Fear is often more reliable for wisdom than thinking. As Alexander Pope once said, the passions are the element of life, the wind fills the sails that mind sets the course. Thinking is often second guessing the feelings/passions
0 Replies