Signing a document under duress.

jude69

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 02:47 am
I was working for this company, and was asked to sign a piece of paper, I was told it was about the meeting we were going to have and this document should of been attached to the contract(I did not sign no contract). I was told that the peice of paper was about me not repeating anything in the meeting and not to tell anybody what the company was about. Prior to this meeting I questioned the company about my wages, the owner of the company telephoned me and asked me to bring my kit with me when I was coming down for the meeting. I asked if she was sacking me, she told me no and that we would speak later at the meeting. When I arrived at her house, this was when all the above happened. I had been working for her for 2months prior to this. and no contracts were signed during this period. She told me that I had to go because she implied I had to many personal problems and it was evident it was effecting memy work. I totaly disagreed with her. I feel I was too upset and that I was taken advantage of when signing this document.
What I need to know is - I am thinking of starting a business up doing a simaler programme., but I am very concerned about this document that I signed, I have asked for a copy of this and I received it by email, I have noticed that several lines have been added to this document, and I feel this was not the original document that I signed. This document that I have a copy of is stating that I must not attempt to create or a variation or derivative of this programme any where in the U.K. or let others know about the contents of this programme. I would be very grateful if you could let me know as soon as possible, if I would be allowed to set up my own bussiness doing a simular programme, as I have already approached a bussiness centre on this matter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,922 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 03:55 am
@jude69,
If it's a signed document then you should be insisting on a paper copy, as email would not have your signature unless it was scanned. Go there -- don't email, go! -- and ask (nicely!) for a paper copy of the document. You don't have to give a reason; it is none of their business as you no longer work there. You just want a copy of what you signed, period, end of story.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 03:58 am
Think of something else to do. These people are ready to zap you the minute they get wind of any activity close to what you were doing.
Joe(not worth the trouble)Nation
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:14 am
@jude69,
This is confusing. It sounds like you signed a confidentiality agreement, but then you make it sound like you signed a non-compete agreement. Were they the same agreement, or was all the non-compete stuff added after you signed?
0 Replies