You learn something new every day

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:19 pm
Have you ever picked up a bit of information that makes you think "why didn't I know that?" because it seems to be mainstream knowledge.

I just learned Alice B. Toklas was the person credit for coming up with hash brownies.

I'd heard of the movie "I love you Alice B. Toklas" but never paid any attention to it.

What information or skill have you ever picked up where you felt you must have been out for the day when it was being learned by everyone else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 8,401 • Replies: 108
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:32 pm
I always thought General Lee surrendered to General Grant inside a courthouse. Come to find out, it was ina private residence.

With his army surrounded, his men weak and exhausted, Robert E. Lee realized there was little choice but to consider the surrender of his Army to General Grant. After a series of notes between the two leaders, they agreed to meet on April 9, 1865, at the house of Wilmer McLean in the village of Appomattox Courthouse. The meeting lasted approximately two and one-half hours and at its conclusion the bloodliest conflict in the nation's history neared its end.
Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:47 pm
I used to think that Rush Limbaugh was just talking to a conservative audience, and not me. Then I learned that I was that conservative audience. What an epiphany!
talk72000

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:36 pm
@Foofie,
In his early years I used to listen to him as I was apolitical. I kinda enjoyed listening to him but over the years he seemed to more and more radical and stopped listening to him.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:19 am
@chai2,

Quote:
What information or skill have you ever picked up where you felt you must have been out for the day when it was being learned by everyone else?

1. That just because some bigoted loud-mouth is given a radio show a certain segment of the population will never actually bother to research if anything he spews is true.

2. Chickens do not need a rooster to produce eggs. Chickens do need a rooster to produce more chickens.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:07 am
@chai2,
That's where the "tokeless" (Toklas) part comes in...no need to take a toke on the joint cause your consuming it.
Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:47 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

In his early years I used to listen to him as I was apolitical. I kinda enjoyed listening to him but over the years he seemed to more and more radical and stopped listening to him.

Radical for you might be truthful for me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:17 am
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

That's where the "tokeless" (Toklas) part comes in...no need to take a toke on the joint cause your consuming it.

wow, I didn't know that part either.

God I'm dumb.

then again, I never ate one of those types of brownies.
Gala

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:37 am
@chai2,
If you've never participated then how would you know? That hardly qualifies you as dumb...on the other hand, I think I have too much useless trivia in my head.

Here's an example, of what I didn't know till I heard it on a radio game show, and some *sparkling* trivia*. Another drug reference, which is a coincidence...

The word hashish also means assasin-- the derivation of the word is thought to come from Persia. It refers to the Persians smoking lots of Hash ( a jillion years ago) before going out and committing murder.

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:46 am
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

If you've never participated then how would you know?

Because I hung around a lot of pot heads.
I know some of them ate those brownies, but I don't remember that name coming up.

oh, here's a trivia question for you....I just learned this the other day....

How did the expression "That's a doozy" come to be?

from the car, the Duesenberg...

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/02/images/ornberg_duesenberg_01.jpg
Gala

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
@chai2,
I didn't know that. A doosy, that's a good one, if you'd asked me what a Duesenberg was I wouldn't have been able to tell you...
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:57 pm
I would never have connected the two.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 01:56 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

I didn't know that. A doosy, that's a good one, if you'd asked me what a Duesenberg was I wouldn't have been able to tell you...

I think I would have recognized that was the name of a car from a bygone era, but couldn't have described it.

It was brought up on NPR in the context of all the classic cars Jay Leno owns. I figured if he owned a duesenberg, it would have to be a doosy.
Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:48 pm
@chai2,
Hi Chai, I've been following this along, but yet to come up with something good to post.

I must be having "senior moments", because I know that I don't know a lot of stuff!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:54 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
You learn something new every day

...yeah. If you're not careful.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:56 pm
@Merry Andrew,
i'm very, very careful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:02 pm
The contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire walked away from the $250,000 question. But, I knew the answer. A howdah is put on the back of an elephant for riding on it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Mr. McLean had lived near Centerville, Virginia, but in July, 1861, the battle of Bull Run was fought near there, and in fact, one of the opening artillery shots of the battle landed in his kitchen, three days before the main engagement. So he moved to Appomattox Court House to get away from the war.

It was said that the war started in his front yard and ended in his front parlor.
panzade

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:18 pm
@Setanta,
stranger than fiction
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:35 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I used to think that Rush Limbaugh was just talking to a conservative audience, and not me.
Then I learned that I was that conservative audience. What an epiphany!
I accepted about 50% to 65% of what I heard him say,
back in the 1990s on TV. My friend Donald wants me to listen to him on the radio, since I have the time for it now.

David
0 Replies