2001: A Space Odyssey, Elvira Madigan, and Fantasia

hebba

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:24 am
"Les demoiselles de Rochefort" made me want to hear everything that Michel Legrand had written.
He´s done a lot.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:40 am
I also appreciate everything Legrand including his evocative albums for Columbia records in the 50's -- unfortunately all in Mono sound. I've never really looked for them on DVD. This is, of course, not classical music (which I suspect the "Metropolis" is an original score and not classical music) so doesn't exactly address Phoenix's original question about movie that use classical music.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:20 am
You are quite right LW.
Shouldn´t jump in and digress like that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:26 am
Not really a big deal -- I would like to see a thread on Legrand's career. Have you ever heard his Columbia albums? The Cole Porter album is incredible and not on CD.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:23 pm
Correction, I found the Cole Porter CD and thanks to hebba, the "I Love Paris" CD. But we are off track --

Classical music used in films!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 01:26 pm
Received the restored Kino Video "Metropolis" DVD and it is a new orchestra recorded in 5.1 if the original Gottfied Huppertz score. Haven't found out anything about the composer buy if memory serves me I believe he was an organist. The score is very good by soundtrack standards and it does augment the film which is as comprehensive a restoration as could be obtained (from the print at MOMA). Of course, on this thread it is not classical music used as scoring.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:29 pm
@Phoenix32890,
They just released the score that was commissioned and was supposed to go along with 2001 before Stanley Kubrick dropped it for the famous and iconic film music that is currently used and so deeply associated with the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/trivia?tr1003155
The original score that was rightfully tossed away by Kubrick:
http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Norths-2001-Various-Artists/dp/B0000014T6

What could have been:

A reminder of the great music Kubrick used:
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:32 pm
Bad Santa

Seriously, it's full of classical music.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:57 pm
Prokofief's "Lt Kije Suite" in Woddy Allen's Love and Death.

Shostakovich's music composed for a Soviet film, entitled "The Gadfly" has also been used in numerous other films.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 03:13 am
I was watching Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World again yesterday (cinematographically beautiful, but otherwise a sad mish-mash), and noticed that for several of the dramatic passages they used the music of Alan Hovhaness.

The music from The Gadfly is very beautiful, very lyrically, and quite a departure from Shostakovich's "serious" work, especially his symphonies.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The music from The Gadfly is very beautiful, very lyrically, and quite a departure from Shostakovich's "serious" work, especially his symphonies.

True... but still a favorite of mine: I never tire of it. His Jazz suite is, like Gadfly, a departure from much of his other work, but also very good. I suspwct he may have alternated between service to his state masters and his muse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 09:34 pm
I was once mad for the movie Song without End re Franz Liszt. It had the - to me - supremo actor, Dirk Bogarde, and Genevieve Page, whom I took as a cypher at the time. The piano was by Jorge Bolet.

I still have the video, not that I've looked at it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Boy, I am glad that Kubrick went with the classical score for 2001. It really "made" the movie!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 11:41 pm
What if the movie is about a musician? In many ways, I hated Tous Les Matins du Monde. a French film from 1991 about the great composer and viola da gamba master Marin Marais. The music is exquisite and so are many of the interior shots but there is one outdoor scene in which two of the characters are walking somewhere in December. Now I know the Gulf Stream gives France a warmer climate than it should have but when two men are walking in December, should deciduous trees have leaves?
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 09:25 am
@plainoldme,
IMO, sometimes one has to suspend credulity when watching a movie, which after all, is entertainment.

There was a time when I would look for mistakes in a movie, especially having to do with the time frame in which it was set. (e.g. a t.v.antenna in a film set in the early 40s) Now I just enjoy the movie for what it is.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 03:38 pm
Kevin Costner was in a 1985 movie called "Fandango" about college graduates who go on a trip to Mexico and end up in west Texas somewhere. Their car stalls out next to a rail line, so they attach a chain to the undercarriage and the other end's hook to the caboose of a slow freight. The chain becomes taut and pulls the undercarriage out from under the car.

Later, one of the friends takes a sky-diving lesson, and he free falls to the 3rd movement of Shostakovich's 8th symphony. The music is orchestrated very thinly and seems to go on forever, and you wonder if the parachute is ever going to open.
drillersmum85

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 04:21 pm
@coluber2001,
IMHO Maurice Ravel's "Bolero" in the movie "10" deserves a mention. (lol)
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 08:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
That was the most exciting part of the movie I thought!!
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 08:54 pm
I love some of the music from Gladiator, Blade Runner (original) by Vangelis. Ave Maria from Hitman. (i know its a classical piece)
Building The Barn from Witness by Maurice Jarre (father of jean Michel Jarre)
Panoramic by Atticus Ross from The Book Of Eli
A World Without End from Priest by Christopher Young
Bright Eyes from Watership Down by Art Garfunkel
Love's Theme & Chase from Midnight Express by Giorgio Morroder
All Shirley Valentine soundtrack, reminds me of Greece!!
0 Replies

KaptainKurtz

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 02:26 am
@Merry Andrew,
"it scares the hell out the dinks!"
0 Replies