"Yellow Submarine"/ Too Much of a Good Thing?

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:35 am
When "Yellow Submarine" first was released, it was a totally innovative film. A cartoon in psychadelic colors, it truly captured the flavor of the times. To this day, I will sing the title song to myself.

The problem was, that I had to walk out midway during the film. I found that the images, with their intense colors and movement, was causing me to become dizzy.

Have any of you had a similar experience while watching a film? I had a similar experience watching "Titanic", at the point in the movie where the ship is sinking, and items in the ship were sliding towards the lowest part of the vessel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,315 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:56 am
Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only "submarine" made sick. I thought it was some bad grass but years later watching on TV, I got nauseous again.

Who else?\\

Joe
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:15 am
??
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:18 am
While I like the music, I could never sit through the film. Just didn't appeal to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:11 am
I'm with Edgar, like the music, don't like the film (nowadays, since I'm not THAT sure about my feelings ages back).

And "no", Phoenix, I never had and have any similar experiences when watching a film. (And besides documentaries: a film is a film, even The Boot was done indoors!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:15 am
Joe Nation- When I spoke about this to my brother, who is an audiologist, he explained that the extreme movement would bother someone with inner ear problems (which I have). In your case, the weed probably added to your misery! Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:55 am
I heard recently that an episode of Yugioh an insipid childrens show, caused so many children to become ill for the same reason. The movie "Blair Witch Project" did the same thing, the constant camera movement made whole theatres sick.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 03:37 pm
Hi Phoenix... Yeah, it did the same thing to me. I find those fauvey color schemes hard enough to look at when they're standing still, but when they start moving, yikes! When that film came out I was working at Crawdaddy magazine and I was reviwed it. I made these comments at the time... and I got a lot of similar feedback from readers.

In recent years, upon revisiting the film, I find it less taxing, but then, I don't see as well anymore... so maybe that helps.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:00 am
Phoenix, I never had the reaction you describe. But I did get thirsty watching Lawrence of Arabia. I practically crawled up the aisle to get to the water fountain.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:44 am
It goes to show that film is visual and visceral at the same time. I couldn't watch NYPD Blue when it first came on the air, the camera movements ay yi yi! I studied film early in my career and worked in tv news (where any unsteady shot was a bad shot) and was used to making stories that were easy for the viewer to see and understand. Now comes MTV videos, where the average shot length is what 2/10ths of a second? And ER where the shot length is much longer, but where the camera never stops.

We watch the story through the eyes of a child with attention deficit disorder.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 09:55 am
"Yellow Submarine", loved the film, specially when Ringo had a hole in his pocket.

"The Blair Witch Project" made me sick. What a con!
0 Replies