What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Procrustes

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:11 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Painters (especially abstract painters) should welcome all their "missteps and errors" Who knows where they might lead?

This reminds me of Jackson Pollock. Although it makes me wonder about how the story of someones life is intrinsic when viewing the art... It just isn't the same.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:04 pm
@Procrustes,
What's the sound of two hands not clapping? (obviously there's nothing on TV now).
Procrustes

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 09:41 am
@JLNobody,
Laughing What's the sound of the TV switched off?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:36 am
What is the sound of one rapper not rapping? Serenity.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 11:56 am
@edgarblythe,
Undoubtedly, at least for us. But some people are actually wired to enjoy it. Surprised
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 12:06 pm
@JLNobody,
Rapping is just poetry with passion. Though sometimes more passion than poetic appeal.
G H

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 02:28 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Rapping is just poetry with passion. Though sometimes more passion than poetic appeal.

Yeah, poetry probably is better than calling it "talking in a rhythmic pattern" or "issuing a spiel in a rhythmic pattern". It's sure as hell not a demonstration of singing ability or talent. From a non-vocal perspective, like a return to monotone drums before melodic instruments were invented.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 04:36 pm
@G H,
Agreed!
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:33 am
@JLNobody,
Wait a sec. I'm an MC and the stuff you may call "rap" is mostly at a glance "bunk". But don't consider all people who rhyme in a rhythm and actually talk about stuff with substance as non talentless hacks. The music industry seems to be wired to find the next person to "market" while a lot of talented people in the "underground" go by unnoticed in the mainstream. I have to defend those people who actually speak with some insight and intellectualism unlike the soul sucking, money grabbing, ass slapping, money filandering "bunk" I see that is perpetuated in the mainstream.

And here is some of my music for good measure
http://soundcloud.com/duendemakerofsoul/sets/caveat-emptor

P.S. Unless you actually tried writing rhymes in rhythm with a beat, you'll understand how difficult it can get...
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 05:32 am
@Procrustes,
You are not rapping about dope and women, and I find that refreshing. It's a bit psybient in my ears. Do you play any instruments, or are you just using a lot of samples? I hear some interesting lyrics, but musically it becomes a little repetitive.
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:14 am
@Cyracuz,
I just use samples mostly. It get's repetitive cos those beats were some of my first beats I ever made and they mostly consist of sampled loops in basic verse chorus structures. If you want to hear a sample of the beats I made last year check out my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/duendethedungeonkeeper There is not a lot of deviation in structure as most of my beats are suited for rhymes than anything else. That's my first attempt at an album BTW, so I didn't expect primo production quality but thanks for listening anyway, it's not quite the sound of hand clapping.Wink BTW, that youtube clip is of Delta who is an Aussie MC that inspires me to keep it 'real' unlike what is mostly heard on the mainstream. If you want to know what 'good MC'ing' is, listen to his album. Mind you the Lostralian is about 4 years old.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:23 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Wait a sec. I'm an MC and the stuff you may call "rap" is mostly at a glance "bunk". But don't consider all people who rhyme in a rhythm and actually talk about stuff with substance as non talentless hacks. The music industry seems to be wired to find the next person to "market" while a lot of talented people in the "underground" go by unnoticed in the mainstream. I have to defend those people who actually speak with some insight and intellectualism unlike the soul sucking, money grabbing, ass slapping, money filandering "bunk" I see that is perpetuated in the mainstream.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKLCbpdK1B4[/youtube]

And here is some of my music for good measure
http://soundcloud.com/duendemakerofsoul/sets/caveat-emptor

P.S. Unless you actually tried writing rhymes in rhythm with a beat, you'll understand how difficult it can get...

I was not targeting people like you.
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It's sure as hell not a demonstration of singing ability or talent.

It was this quote that got me. You said nothing wrong Edgar. In fact I liked what you said mate.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:46 am
@Procrustes,
Those myspace tracks were more interesting, yes. It's not always about the structure. Sometimes variations in intensity in how the same riff or sample is played can do the trick.
If you want to make and publish recordings, I think you should get a producer unless you have one already. A lot of people say they can produce, but few can actually do it. Few of those who say they can actually know what it is about.
I was recently in a studio and recorded some songs. I've never had a producer, but this time I got one who has a reputation here locally for being good at it. And to be honest, he took what I thought already was as good as it could be, and made it even better. In a few months the production is finished, and then I'm going to make sure it is everywhere. Wink
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:49 am
@Procrustes,
He is right, though, strictly speaking.
Rapping isn't a demonstration of ability or talent of singing, but it isn't intended to be either. That's why the combination of a good rapper and a good singer works so well.
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:56 am
@Cyracuz,
Sounds cool. Send us a link of your stuff when it's done. I know some dudes in the industry who work as sound engineers and have produced, mixed, and mastered peoples work for radio down here. But I feel I'm wasn't ready with that album. So I internet released it, got a mate to mix it and that was that. I'll eventually call up the professional guys when I'm happy with a body of work that I can print up.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 07:01 am
@Cyracuz,
I understand it is not about the singing ability when rapping, but GH makes it out to seem that all rappers have no talent.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, poetry probably is better than calling it "talking in a rhythmic pattern" or "issuing a spiel in a rhythmic pattern". It's sure as hell not a demonstration of singing ability or talent. From a non-vocal perspective, like a return to monotone drums before melodic instruments were invented.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 07:31 am
@Procrustes,
Perhaps. It would be his personal opinion in any case.
0 Replies

G H

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 10:40 am
@Procrustes,
Quote:
I understand it is not about the singing ability when rapping, but GH makes it out to seem that all rappers have no talent.

Not the case. That a carpenter building a house would not be a demonstration of singing ability would likewise not mean the carpenter lacks skill in his own trade.

What makes me cringe in regard to rap is only that it seems to receive full categorization under "music", a qualifying equal to most of the rest subsumed by such. When it only has a minimal foot in music (latter construed as the fuller complexity it has developed over time) and another foot in whatever classification(s) gets worked-out as applicable to it. From a broader entertainment context, I can certainly grasp the talent and observational insight of rappers, especially those adept at formulating a competent "rap" right on the spot with any background scenario thrown at them.

But also, apprehending the degree of skill involved in a practice does not necessary equate to always greatly desiring the product yielded. It's humanly unavoidable that there are professions and artistic matters which I could genuinely applaud in regard to understanding the ability concerned and their usually or possibly having importance of some kind, but still wouldn't normally drive several miles off my planned route to watch, listen, buy, or request services from (minus a good reason). Wink
Procrustes

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:24 am
@G H,
Well, "rap" has it's roots in music. Hip Hop was an alternative counter culture which had it's beginnings because of music. MC'ing was the first form of expression combining poetry to a rhythm and style to tell a story about the times. And yet, I can understand how "rap" is not seen musically because of the variations of "rap music" that lack musicality compared to other music forms. But it begs the question "What is music?" I mean, I've heard some experimental "music" that I would of been happy to just call experimental noise.