Psycho and Jaws--Some Behavior Adjustment?

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:27 am
When Psycho was first released, a lot of people were a bit reluctant to step into the shower. When Jaws first came out, people stayed away from the ocean in droves.

It's rare that a film can affect our everyday lives, but these two did. Not everyone was affected, but enough people were for it to be noticed.

I'm trying to think of other films that had such an influence on behavior. At the moment, I can't think of one. Can you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,638 • Replies: 73
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:33 am
Thinking.....thinking.......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:55 am
I'll bet a lot of people were a bit anxious about going into the woods alone after watching, "Deliverance"!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:04 am
What's the matter, Phoenix? People have an aversion to squealing like a pig? Sorry. You could be right.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:17 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:29 am
When Superman came out, a lot of delusional people jumped out of windows..

okay okay, I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:44 am
Poltergeist made me terrified of television......
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:30 am
Deb--They're heeere.

Thanks, all. The behavioral adjustment doesn't have to be the result of something frightening. What about something sad or wise or funny or insightful. Anything that had an impact on how you behave or react.

BTW, when I saw Jaws I had a temporary (and short lived) fear of going to the bathroom. I thought a shark would swim up and bite my tush. Silly me. Any shark that could fit in the toilet bowl couldn't have bitten off much.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:33 am
Just remembered. There was a wonderful horse in The Green Grass of Wyoming. At least I think that's the movie. I spent an entire year nagging my mother to get me a horse. Okay, maybe I was being a bit impractical. Maybe it wouldn't have been happy in the alleyways of the south Bronx. But I was not to be denied--except of course that I was.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:43 am
Hmmmmmm - well, Diva again - I sooooooooo want one of those blue wave boxes - only HUGE - and austere - none of those stupid plastic surfers, or dolphins - and automated - just like the one in Diva. Saw a small version of that in a wee shop in New York. Not big enough.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:33 pm
I've told this before but myself and a friend were in Hawaii and decided to go to the movies. There was "Rollerball" and "Jaws," "Rollerball" starting a half-hour before. We got carried away shopping at King's Alley in Waikiki and missed "Rollerball." We had planned on going snorkling at Hanama Bay the next day but still went to see "Jaws." Bill, my friend, had his own snorkling equipment and after the film he announced loudly in the foyer, "Anyone want to buy some snorkling equipment?"

"The Last Wave" gave me nightmares about tidal waves as I lived on the coast.

Same director, Peter Weir, with "Picnic on Hanging Rock" turned me off of hiking.

I don't believe I've ever had Roberta's experience but if I did I would try to flush it out of my head.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:35 pm
(I really had to have the balls to say that).

OUCH!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:40 pm
Jaws ruined the ocean for me forever. When I was a kid I was always the first one in the water at the beach, but I haven't gone in past my knees since I was Jaws. That damn movie!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:57 pm
Well, it looks like the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series hasn't prevented people from sleeping. But seriously, I think that sometimes the effect can be more subtle. A movie may start a small trend in fiction that eventually goes into the cultural consciousness and produces some effect on behavior in the long run. For instance, "2001" sort of permanently upped the ante for a movie dealing with space travel to be considered to be of acceptable quality, at least in terms of special effects, not to say that there haven't been bad movies since. If you look at the special effects in the average space movie before and after, this is apparent. A number of other very elaborate ("Star Wars") or thought provoking ("Contact") movies followed, and a lot of children may have been influenced to go into the sciences. I believe that the increased number and increased quality of movies about space travel has probably influenced the direction of NASA by changing peoples' ideas about what Man's future might be in space.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:10 pm
But I wouln't want to meet up with the Alien! That one scene with John Hurt could have turned a lot of people off of pasta! Laughing

And WELCOME Brandon to A2K and the Film Forum! Drunk
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:41 pm
I saw The Exorcist when I was around six or seven years old when it was first shown on Home Box Office. I have to say, watching Linda Blair being violently tossed around on her bed scared the hell out of me. I was terrified by the thought that I would be punished by the devil by possession for anything bad that I'd do. That movie almost singlehandedly kept me in line for most of my early youth. It literally scared me straight.

It also instilled the fear in me that I'd open the door to a room and find things swirling about in the air, or find my siblings being flung around on their beds.

I was traumatized by that movie for a long time in my early youth.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:44 pm
Isn't it crazy, the affect Jaws had? I saw it at Daytona--big mistake! I wouldn't get in the pool! Figure that!?

The Carol Burnett take-off on Jaws was hilarious. Tim Conway (wait, was it Harvey?) in crusty fisherman garb, fishing in the toidy and tub...

SNL--.........."Land Shark"......

The Blair Witch Project killed hiking for me, as well. Already suffer from directional retardation.

Psycho didn't freak me about showers, as much as checking into isolated hotels alone....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:57 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
But I wouln't want to meet up with the Alien! That one scene with John Hurt could have turned a lot of people off of pasta! Laughing

And WELCOME Brandon to A2K and the Film Forum! Drunk

That is so kind of you! Thank you. I just discovered A2K this morning. See you around the board.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:03 pm
Yes, please surf the boards you're interested in -- lots of stuff just on the film threads. Please add a new topic if one comes to mind. We always like to see new blood.

Speaking of blood, "Susperia" gave me a bit of a phobia about sharp objects and high windows!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:04 pm
Deb, you little diva bunny you, did you ever find the box?

LW, LOL. I don't share your concerns about potty sitting. Just as well. Things could have gotten mighty messy.

Montana, I can't say that there aren't any sharks in the ocean. They're there, all right. But the chances of one attacking you are really small. Does this bit of info help? I didn't think so.

Hiya Brandon and Welcome. No question that 2001 was a landmark in many ways. It certainly did up the ante on space films--how they looked and what was visually possible. I hadn't really thought about how it might have entered the consciousness of its viewers and thereby affected our ideas about science and space travel. Thanks for the insight.

InfraBlue, Scared straight. Interesting and fascinating. I'm glad it had a positive influence on you over the long haul. The Exorcist didn't scare me straight; it scared me silly.

Sofia, Candygram! I have to admit that the Blair Witch Project was kinda creepy. Didn't scare me out of going into the woods, though. Not much in the way of woods in the middle of Manhattan.

BTW, the effect that Jaws had on Peter Benchley? He's devoted much of his time to trying to educate people about sharks. His book and movie started a killing frenzy. He feels guilty. And Steven Spielberg won't go in the ocean to this day. He's convinced the sharks are out for revenge.
0 Replies