"Lost in Translation"

pieman

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 08:09 pm
I just saw "Lost in Translation" with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. Directed by Sofia Coppola. Thought it was well done, thoughtful and poignant. The scenes of Tokyo were spectacular. For those who saw it .....what did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:53 pm
My wife and I saw it last week. I really thought there was going to be more involvement between Murray and Johansson, but it was never to be. I think it had potential even though Murray was a bit older, they seemed to have some important connection beyond their own spouses. Since my wife and I both understand a little Japanese, we tend to have enjoyed it a little bit more than the others in the theater. My wife said it moved a little too slow in some parts, but over-all we both enjoyed it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:14 pm
On my list but if I miss it in theaters, I'm sure I won't miss it on cable or DVD rental.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
I just saw it last weekend--and loved it. I rarely think of the term "sweet-natured" as something I appreciate in a film, but this one was, and I didn't mind at all.

Re the relationship between the main characters: I think it was just right as it was. Something "more" would have spoiled it--and made it a lot like so many other films.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
yeah. I was kinda dissapointed who he did spend the night with, but thinbking about it... it wan't who he wnated, but he knew he couldn't...

Sweet movie.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 10:20 am
I think his sleeping with the singer helped the two main characters come to some realizations about what they meant to each other and what they could expect from each other...
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 01:33 pm
I agree with D'artagnan when he says about the relationship between the two main characters that it was just right as it was and something more would have spoiled it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:47 pm
BTW, Welcome to A2K and the Film Forum, pieman.

The movie has gotten good reviews and in directed by Francis Ford Coppola's daughter who really got razed for her role in "Godfather Part III" when Winon Ryder took ill and was replaced at the last minute.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:48 pm
Sofia Coppola's Filmography as a director:

Director - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

Lost in Translation (2003)

Virgin Suicides, The (1999)
... aka Sofia Coppola's the Virgin Suicides (2000) (USA: complete title)
Lick the Star (1998)
0 Replies