Curry and curries, comfort and wake up.

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:00 pm
There is a lot of interest in curries here at a2k, from what to do with curry powder, from how good tumeric is supposed to be for your health, for curry craving of specific interest, and interest in how to cook some curries ourselves... to specific curries, such as panang curry.

Comments and recipes, por favor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 5,468 • Replies: 52
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:12 pm
love the flavour of curry, i generally make pretty simple curries, lamb, shrimp or chicken in a tomato based sauce (with some coconut milk), served over rice

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/englishteastore_2065_36772156
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:22 pm
when making eggs over easy, i like to sprinkle a bit of curry powder on the yolk before flipping it over
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:37 pm
@djjd62,
and I throw a smidge of hot madras tamarind curry in my scrambled eggs (in tortilla wrap). Well, that's a powder, from Cost Plus, or World Market, or whatever you call it.

I also did some do si do with a japanese curry block package recently. Not horrible, but, not of much interest.

Meantime, I've saved a batch of thai yellow curry recipes - with no action on my part.

Now to look up Panang curry -

And that reminds me. I think the best crab legs I ever tried were wok fried and that there was a curry thing going on, all this being vietnamesese. Or at least cooked by a vietnamese chinese person.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Too many se's in that vietnamese..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Mrs F makes a curried shrimp that has , as its cool ingredient, chopped apples (A summer Rambo or Cortland are some of the best for this). Its served over rice and contains two chopped (dried and reconstituted) hot cherry peppers. She also adds several fresh skinned and chopped tomatoes >I call it a curry shrimp jambalaya. The apples and onions , peppers and tomatoes all blend nicely with the curry. (She uses the sweet curry variety from Pennzy's) . I dont know the name but Pennsy hs several kinds.If its important to know a more detailed name , Ill ask .

We had a greateal of a veggie and seafood susu at a really good restaurant when we were down in Delaware. The restaurant is called THE BUTTERY and is in Lewes Del. MOst restaurant curries all taste the same to me, but this one had a distinctive flavor enhancement for the veggies and seafood without turning everything into this curry flavored baby **** . The veggies and seafood were crisped (they were deep fried and then quickly turned in the curry so that there was a lot of original ingredient flavor. I dont know what a susu is other than it must mean "this here is some ggooood ****"
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:21 pm
Pensey's has some excellent details about the different forms of curry.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscurrypowder.html?id=WI3gqSaX&mv_pc=293

as does the Cook's Thesaurus

http://www.foodsubs.com/SpicemixInd.html

and here's a website you'll enjoy exploring:

http://www.curry-recipes.info/

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I've never had curry before. It always smells so strong when I do smell it being used.

I'm supposed to stay away from spicy stuff. So, I suppose I shouldn't be trying foods with curry. Although, my wife does make homemade chili for me, but she dilutes way, way down so I can tolerate it. Do you suppose the same could be done with curry?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:33 pm
@Reyn,
We are opposites, Reyn, I like a lot of spices, but - I've a pretty lame nose.

How to tame curry and still get it's benefits, I don't know. We'll see what people post.

I think of that thai yellow curry lunch I used to order for little money as being extremely mild - so that might be a direction.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:44 pm
@ossobuco,
So, there I was, minding my own business, looking up panang curry sites, of which there are many, and then my computer went whooie. Not to blame the curry. The only one I got a close look at seemed simple enough, but that was for mere seconds.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:16 am
@ossobuco,
Let's assume that was a fluke.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:10 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

I've never had curry before. It always smells so strong when I do smell it being used.

I'm supposed to stay away from spicy stuff. So, I suppose I shouldn't be trying foods with curry. Although, my wife does make homemade chili for me, but she dilutes way, way down so I can tolerate it. Do you suppose the same could be done with curry?

Yes....a lot of curries are extremely fragrant and delightful, and the amount of chili used can be adjusted.

I often put out dried, crushed chili, or fresh chopped chili, to cater for different tastes when cooking for people I know have varying chilli tolerance. It's not perfect for the hot lovers, but so it goes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:40 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

There is a lot of interest in curries here at a2k, from what to do with curry powder, from how good tumeric is supposed to be for your health, for curry craving of specific interest, and interest in how to cook some curries ourselves... to specific curries, such as panang curry.

Comments and recipes, por favor.

I never use curry powder.......I make from scratch, or use some of the curry pastes I have found to be quite good, from trial and error.

I love turmeric, so I am happy to use lots of it, whether it is good for you or not.

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:16 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I never use curry powder.......I make from scratch, or use some of the curry pastes I have found to be quite good, from trial and error.

I love turmeric, so I am happy to use lots of it, whether it is good for you or not.
so what do you want, a medal?

OOOOH look at me, I make my own curries.
Ive got skills.

bet you cant make a lemon curry.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
I make curries, but I never have asafoetida just lying around.
dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
I just think curry powder is crap, because the spices were ground and crushed and such a long time ago, and have lost their freshness and savour.

Rather than sneer at me, why don't you have a go from scratch and have a house full of the lovely odours and enjoy the beautiful fresh flavours?

The pastes seem to keep the flavours better, if they are good ones.
Sglass

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you have a recipe for curried quiche? You promised me some quiche recipes.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:33 pm
@dlowan,
just pullin yer ears . You are slow to rise to the bait wabbit.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:35 pm
@dlowan,
i've made fresh when i really want to impress for a meal, but for quick and easy i've always like the sharwoods curry powder
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you have a recipe for curried quiche? You promised me some quiche recipes.

I just found a curried crab quiche recipe. That will get Merry's attention.
0 Replies