Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:59 am
While I'd never give up my family's secret recipe for fried rice, I will pass on my personal recipe.

In my family, fried rice is a breakfast food, not a lunch or dinner item. My recipe is also a breakfast version, but it's spicy.

I kind of shoot from the hip when I cook, so the measurements I'll give are not exact, nor do I think they need to be.

Ingrediants
- Sticky rice (Kokuho Rose or similar)
- 2-3 eggs
- Milk (I suggest skim)
- Beer brats (or some other sort of sausage you like)
- Celery
- Scallions
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Crushed red pepper
- Salt
- Pepper

Instructions (serves 3-4... in think... maybe more.)
1) Prepare Rice - cook 3-4 cups of rice in steamer. If you plan on cooking this for breakfast the next day, a great way to save time is to cook the rice the night before or prepare extra rice with your meal the night before.

2) Cook the sausage - I've done this two ways. One way is to heat a pan with some oil and crushed red pepper, and throw in CHOPPED sausage. The other way is to heat the oven to 350 and put the sausages in whole for 15-20 minutes and cut them up afterward. The pan method is usually better, but the oven way lets you multitask better.

3) Make eggs - In a bowl, break 2-3 eggs and mix with equal amounts of milk. Put in crushed red pepper. Pour entire contents into pan on high heat. The mix is very thin, but it's okay. What will happen is that the excess water in the milk will evaporate off, and the cooked eggs will form into little bits. This is good because it allows for the eggs to get mixed into the fired rice later and be everywhere instead of just in large chunks in a few places.

4) Veggies - I listed the veggies I use, but feel free to add more. Just chop the celery and scallions finely.

5) Put it together - Take the rice out of the steamer and place it into the pan with the eggs. Mix it up. Next add the sausage. If you cooked the sausage in the pan, put the oil in the mix too. Mix. Add veggies. Mix. Put soy sauce on top (this is hard to quantify... er... I dunno, like maybe 5-6 table spoons?) spread out evenly. Repeat with sesame oil and then add crushed red pepper to your desire. Mix vigorously, ready to serve when all rice is warm and covered evenly with oil.

6) OPTIONAL Donburi special - Hard fry an egg, serve the rice in a bowl, place the hard friend egg on top and break the yolk.

7) Enjoy.

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 4,996 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:44 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:18 am
That sounds pretty good. Thanks, Diest.
JPB

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:23 am
@joefromchicago,
It sure does!

Thanks, TKO
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:05 am
Out of curiosity what makes it a "breakfast" fried rice?

When growing up in Japan, I never did get used to rice for breakfast. Not even the sweet rice pudding stuff.
mismi

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
sounds yummy.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Out of curiosity what makes it a "breakfast" fried rice?

You know, the more I think about it I don't know. I think it might just have been one of those things I grew up with and since it was so much different than the fried rice you'd get at a restaurant, and we'd only eat it for breakfast. Another reason could be that my family recipe uses bacon where as mine uses sausage. The use of breakfast meats could have been influential in labeling it a breakfast friend rice. The only reason I don't use bacon, is because I suck at cooking bacon right.

The recipe given here is mine, and not my family's, but they are similar. It's funny, anytime I'm at a restaurant that serves friend rice, I'm always thinking: For dinner? LOL

Robert Gentel wrote:

When growing up in Japan, I never did get used to rice for breakfast. Not even the sweet rice pudding stuff.

How long were you in Japan? Where? Military family?

T
K
O
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:16 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
How long were you in Japan?

About 10 years, but it's hard to calculate because during that time I lived in about 7 or 8 other countries and was in and out of Japan a lot.

Quote:
Where?

I just emailed my mom and asked her that a few weeks ago. I lived in several dozen cities in Japan and neither of us seem to remember them all.

Quote:
Military family?

No, freaky cult. My parents met in Japan (my mom is Japanese) and I was born there.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:21 pm
Nikei? Wow, I never knew.

Freaky cult? I grew up with real hippies and hung around reservations, I've seen a bunch of ****, don't be shy. Tell me more.

T
K
O
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:38 pm
@Diest TKO,
I've told it all a bunch of times so I'm more weary of it than shy, you can read a lot about the cult at xfamily.org.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I guess I can understand talking about it getting old. Is either of your parents still involved?

T
K
O
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:46 pm
@Diest TKO,
Both of them as far as I know.
msolga

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 04:37 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest, that looks a really good recipe! I'll definitely try it. But for dinner. I really couldn't handle anything quite so substantial for breakfast! Smile

One question: how many mouths does your recipe cater for? Well, roughly.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:16 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

One question: how many mouths does your recipe cater for? Well, roughly.

I fed 5 very hungry college men with it, so take your guess.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Both of them as far as I know.

You called it a cult. Cult has a negative connotation. I assume you never got into it, or just got out of it? "As far as you know?" Are you not close connected with your family?

T
Kind of not the topic of this thread but it's intriguing.
O
msolga

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:26 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:

Something like 10 everyday folk with normal, healthy appetites? Wink
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
You called it a cult. Cult has a negative connotation.

Yes, I know. On the site I sent you to I wrote an article defending the use of the word for this group. See here:

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Cult

The cult deserves the negative connotation. Their leader preached that sexual abuse of minors was ok and this caused many of my peers a lot of suffering. See:

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Category:Sexual_Abuse

Quote:
I assume you never got into it, or just got out of it?

I assume you haven't really read anything from the site I sent you, or you'd not be questioning why I hold it in negative regard. If you want to know more about it read up on it there. One of the reasons I wrote many of those articles was to avoid having to repeat myself so much.

Quote:
"As far as you know?" Are you not close connected with your family?

Not really, and the group's structure has changed significantly since I was kicked out (over 15 years ago) so while they are still members their involvement, like that of everyone in the group, may be waning.

Quote:
Kind of not the topic of this thread but it's intriguing.

I've talked about it extensively on a2k and was hoping not to turn this thread into another cult topic for that reason.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:28 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Something like 10 everyday folk with normal, healthy appetites? Wink

Yeah. Decent folk. Nothing like us rowdy college kids in the day.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sorry RG. I read a few articles there. It's a lot of info to take in. I was more interested in your personal experience.

Thanks for sharing all the same.
K
O
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:34 pm
@Diest TKO,
I founded that site and contributed to many of the articles, which might not have been clear when I initially sent you there.

I don't mind answering your questions, I just don't want to ruin your recipe thread.