I started a new business

McGentrix

Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:21 pm
@engineer,
I am really not in a position to do full business support at this time. I am concentrating on home users for now and should things change with my current employer or business picks up I would then move to advertise for business users.

Right now I have to request a zoning variance to get things moving.
McGentrix

Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:23 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

You've chosen a congested and very competitive business with razor-thin margins, witness my fave local computer store chain here in the lower mainland of British Columbia Canada. http://ncix.com/

Not to throw a fried switched-mode power supply on your endeavors but...that's a tough cookie to hang your hat on (mixed metaphors aside).

Heh. I am hoping to make money on my labor. I am looking at possibly a 5-8% markup on hardware depending on where I find it. Dell practically gives their computers away these days and I really want to avoid first time computer buyers.
FreeDuck

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:51 am
@McGentrix,
I'm thinking small business servers, maybe. Their needs are often above what Dell gives away but their budgets are usually limited.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:57 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Chumly wrote:

You've chosen a congested and very competitive business with razor-thin margins, witness my fave local computer store chain here in the lower mainland of British Columbia Canada. http://ncix.com/

Not to throw a fried switched-mode power supply on your endeavors but...that's a tough cookie to hang your hat on (mixed metaphors aside).

Heh. I am hoping to make money on my labor. I am looking at possibly a 5-8% markup on hardware depending on where I find it. Dell practically gives their computers away these days and I really want to avoid first time computer buyers.

Man, if there's one service that almost everyone I know needs, it is virus cleaning/removal/prevention and EDUCATION on how dangerous the internet is. I clean and maintain the computers of pretty much everyone I know, it always baffles me that these folks have no clue how to run their systems - and then just deal with them running slower and slower as if it was natural...

Cycloptichorn
FreeDuck

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:58 am
Also, I didn't see mention of it on your website, but are you planning to offer open source systems? I think small businesses (and others) are often put off from open source software because they don't have the know-how to put it all together. You could handle that part for them and give them the support they need, thus saving them butt loads of money while making a little for yourself. Just an idea.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
On-Site services: FREE ESTIMATES

I was happy when I paid $80 for a computer check-up /estimate recently - partly because they applied the $80 toward whatever service I decided to followup with - whether it was repair or replacement.

You can undercut the competition - but I wouldn't recommend valueing your estimates at $0.00
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 12:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm actually thinking of taking that up as a sideline. If Geek Squad can charge $150 bucks for it....
Green Witch

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 12:37 pm
@DrewDad,
I agree. I know a lot of people (mostly over the age of 40) who just do not have enough computer savvy to get themselves out of trouble. Computer hand holding is a great field because people remain loyal if they are made happy and problems always happen. Companies tend to shop around for price, but individuals bond.
engineer

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:13 pm
I was thinking about your business today and what type of PC I would pay to have custom built. I think you should offer a media PC to fit in home entertainment centers. There are a few of these on the market, but they still have a nice mark-up and they're not well known. If you offered a Blu-ray capable, HD recording machine to use with a receiver or in place of a receiver with a quiet fan and a nice black or silver case, that would be more tempting to me than the ultimate game machine.
ossobuco

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:44 pm
@Green Witch,
I agree with that. I had a mac guy in northern california who was mister speed with the keyboard and knowledgeable. It was money well spent to have him help me when I had computer problems. I should have such help here in NM. Hmm.
ossobuco

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds -
McG, I assume you're not a mac maven - just meant that you can take me as an average older computer user who knows some about macs but doesn't really know much at all and can be daunted by difficulties. I did learn quite a bit from that mac guy who used to check out/fix my old mac as I tried to just be quiet and see what he did.

So that would be another question.. could you stand to have the client there while you work? My mac guy would ask me questions once in a while, and tell me off and on what he was doing (me with the note pad). This amount of learning didn't mean that I didn't need to ever call him again, but it made me less fearful about the computer generally.

I'm thinking some pc users could be like me, and that could be remunerative if you could put up with that.
McGentrix

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I was thinking about your business today and what type of PC I would pay to have custom built. I think you should offer a media PC to fit in home entertainment centers. There are a few of these on the market, but they still have a nice mark-up and they're not well known. If you offered a Blu-ray capable, HD recording machine to use with a receiver or in place of a receiver with a quiet fan and a nice black or silver case, that would be more tempting to me than the ultimate game machine.

I have been looking into this actually. They even make combo Blu-ray/HDDVD drives as you can get a lot of HD DVD movies cheap now. A/V computer cases have also become quite good looking. Using Vista Ultimate, the media center stuff is nice.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Adds -
McG, I assume you're not a mac maven - just meant that you can take me as an average older computer user who knows some about macs but doesn't really know much at all and can be daunted by difficulties. I did learn quite a bit from that mac guy who used to check out/fix my old mac as I tried to just be quiet and see what he did.

So that would be another question.. could you stand to have the client there while you work? My mac guy would ask me questions once in a while, and tell me off and on what he was doing (me with the note pad). This amount of learning didn't mean that I didn't need to ever call him again, but it made me less fearful about the computer generally.

I'm thinking some pc users could be like me, and that could be remunerative if you could put up with that.

ugh. That's why I charge by the hour for in home work. Sometimes it is nice to have the owner around to ask questions about programs and such.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sun 16 Aug, 2009 10:39 pm
@engineer,
I want to second this. I think media center PCs aren't going to go mainstream until they get much better but this is the only kind of custom computer I've ever seriously considered buying other than a car computer (see mp3car.com) .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:59 am
Do any of our resident lawyers have any zoning law experience?

Apparently, I can not get a use permit for my home based business because I can not prove a hardship for the variance. So, I am considering trying to get it rezoned as R2 which would allow a home based business.

Here is a link to relevant zoning rules: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10285&sid=32

Quote:
Sec. 80-8.9. Home occupations.
(a) Purpose. Accessory home occupations are activities accessory to uses in the household living category. Home occupations have special regulations to ensure that they will not be a detriment to the character and livability of the surrounding neighborhood. The regulations ensure that the accessory home occupation remains subordinate to the residential use, and that the residential viability of the dwelling is maintained. The regulations recognize that many types of jobs can be done in a home with little or no effects on the surrounding neighborhood.
(b) Description of type A and type B accessory home occupations. There are two types of home occupations, type A and type B. Uses are allowed as home occupations only if they comply with all of the requirements of this chapter.
i. Type A. A type A home occupation is one where the residents use their home as a place of work; however, no employees or customers come to the site. Examples include, but are not limited to, artists, crafts people and writers. Type A home occupations also provide an opportunity for a home to be used as a business address but not as a place of work.
ii. Type B. A type B home occupation is one where the residents use their home as a place of work, and either one employee or customers come to the site consistent with the regulations outlined in subsection (d) below. Examples include, but are not limited to, counseling, tutoring, legal, medical, accounting, and hair cutting and styling.

So, my business would be a type B business.

Quote:
Sec. 80-8.3. R-1 single-family residential district.
(a) Purpose. To provide for single family residential development.
(b) Permitted uses.
i. Detached single-family dwellings.
ii. State-certified modular dwellings.
iii. Attached single-family dwellings subject to site plan review as per section 80-5.
iv. Schools: Primary, elementary, junior high or senior high, publicly owned.
v. Agricultural uses, provided, however, that the lot upon which the use is situated is at least five (5) acres in size.
vi. Governmental structures or uses including public park, playground, recreation building, fire station, library or museum.
vii. Churches and religious institutions.
(c) Uses allowed by special permit.
i. Golf courses and clubhouses.
ii. Schools: Primary, elementary, junior high or senior high, privately owned.
iii. Cemeteries.
iv. Utility substations or pumping stations with no equipment storage.
v. Wireless communications facilities.
(d) Permitted accessory uses.
i. Private garages or carports.
ii. Family day care homes.
iii. Group family day care.
iv. Type A home occupations as defined in section 80-8.9.
v. Private barns and stables as an accessory to a permitted agricultural use situated on a parcel at least five (5) acres in size.
vi. Noncommercial storage sheds, noncommercial tool sheds and greenhouses.
vii. In-season storage of recreational vehicles. Off-season storage of recreational craft, recreational vehicles or recreational vessels shall be permitted as set forth herein at subsection 80-17.2(k).
viii. Noncommercial recreational structures which could include, but are not limited to, swimming pools and recreational ball courts.
ix. Energy systems.

As I am zoned R1, I am allowed a Type A business which would mean no customers can visit which means no dropping off or picking up computers for repair which would impede my business as I would not be competitive with other businesses.

R2 is defined as such:

Quote:
Sec. 80-8.4. R-2 single-family, small lot residential district.
(a) Purpose. To provide for small lot single-family residential uses including attached single-family and duplexes.
(b) Permitted uses.
i. Detached single-family dwellings.
ii. Attached single-family dwellings.
iii. Two(2)-family dwellings.
iv. State-certified modular dwellings.
v. Schools: Primary, elementary, junior high or senior high, publicly owned.
vi. Governmental structures or uses including public park, playground, recreation building, fire station, library or museum.
vii. Churches and religious institutions.
(c) Uses allowed by special permit.
i. Bed and breakfast inns as defined in section 80-8.10.
ii. Group foster homes.
iii. Cemeteries.
iv. Schools: Primary, elementary, junior high or senior high, privately owned.
v. Utility substations or pumping stations with no equipment storage.
vi. Wireless communication facilities.
(d) Permitted accessory uses.
i. Private garages or carports.
ii. Family day care homes.
iii. Group family day care.
iv. Accessory dwelling units.
v. Type A or B home occupations as defined in section 80-9.
vi. Storage sheds, tool sheds and greenhouses.
vii. In-season storage of recreational vehicles. Off-season storage of recreational craft, recreational vehicles or recreational vessels shall be permitted as set forth herein at subsection 80-17.2(k).
viii. Noncommercial recreational structures which could include, but are not limited to, swimming pools and recreational ball courts.
ix. Energy systems.

This outlines why I can not get a use variance:

Quote:
(c) Use variances.
i. The board, on appeal from the decision or determination of codes enforcement officer, shall have the power to grant use variances, as defined herein. No such use variance shall be granted by the board without a showing by the applicant that applicable zoning regulations and restrictions have caused unnecessary hardship. In order to prove such unnecessary hardship the applicant shall demonstrate to the board of appeals that for each and every permitted use under the zoning regulations for the particular district where the property is located:
a. The applicant cannot realize a reasonable return, provided that lack of return is substantial as demonstrated by competent financial evidence;
b. The alleged hardship relating to the property in question is unique, and does not apply to a substantial portion of the district or neighborhood;
c. The requested use variance, if granted, will not alter the essential character of the neighborhood;
d. The alleged hardship has not been self-created;
e. That the granting of the variance requested will not confer a special privilege to the property that is denied other lands in the same district; and
f. The board, in the granting of the variance, shall grant the minimum variance that will make possible the reasonable use of the land, and at the same time, preserve and protect the character of the neighborhood and the health, safety and welfare of the community.

So, I am left with trying to get rezoned... This totally sucks.

Any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them best I can.
joefromchicago

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:15 pm
@McGentrix,
In my very limited, non-expert experience, zoning is extremely complicated and it involves a lot of insider knowledge. Most cities have lawyers who specialize in zoning cases, and they're the ones you want to consult. They'll know all of the intricacies of the zoning laws and, more importantly, will know which local politicians are actually in charge of the zoning decisions. When it comes to zoning, there's the law, and then there's "the way things are always done." The latter is far more important than the former.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:27 pm
@McGentrix,
Have you exhausted your approach on the variance? Depending on how restrictive your R1 zoning code is written you may be able to assure them that you'll fall within reasonable boundaries of the existing code. I'm not an attorney but I run an in-home business so I had to go through this process. How much customer traffic are you expecting? Maybe you'll have to limit drop-offs to come within acceptable guidelines and do pick-up/delivery service (for a charge) instead.

Edit -- I read through your R1 and R2. Day care operations are permitted under R1 but computer repairs aren't? Depending on the size of the day care, there could be some substantial non-resident traffic there.
McGentrix

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:30 pm
@JPB,
If I do a pickup/dropoff I am golden, but I do not think customers would want to pay for that nor would I want to inconvenience them any more then I would need to as I could only do that in the evenings.

I am pretty sure the use variance is DOA, but I had them table it so I can explore alternatives. I am reaching out to my city councilman and am waiting to hear back from the zoning officer. I also called the lawyer that helped me with the purchase as well as my real estate agent.

I am just angry that something I thought would be easy has turned into a steaming pile of ****.
DrewDad

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 01:17 pm
@McGentrix,
Could you be a "wireless communication facility"?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:05 pm
Did you actually go before your zoning board and they turned you down or did you just look up the rules and restrictions?
0 Replies