One of the hardest riddles in the world

C99

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:43 pm
You were killed in a palne crash and you find youself
in front of two doors. One leading to heaven for eternity, and one leading to hell for eternity. Beside each door there is a troll. The troll is guarding the door. There are instructions behind you.
The instructions say " You can only ask one question. You can only say the question to one troll. One troll always lies reguardless of the question, and the other troll always tells the truth reguardless of the question. That is all you will be told..."

How do you make sure that you are going to heaven, and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 35,793 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:59 pm
@C99,
C99, I have heard that one a little differently, but I think you ask the troll that always lies which door is the one to heaven. Then take the opposite door whatever he answers.
C99

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:55 pm
@Letty,
That would be right, exept how do you know which troll lies?
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:01 pm
@C99,
The question to ask (of either "troll") is:
"If I asked the other troll 'which door leads to heaven', what would he reply?" Then take the opposite door to that indicated.

Try it!

C99

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:14 pm
@lmur,
yes but what if you are asking the honest troll that question
lmur

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:20 pm
@C99,
Both of them will give the same answer!
fresco

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:37 am
@lmur,
Hardly one of the "hardest riddles in the world" ! It's appeared on A2K at least five times to my knowlege. Try googling "the colored hats riddle" for more of the same.
C99

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:54 pm
@fresco,
uh-huh right...
0 Replies

agsaxon

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
@C99,
This is easy. Ask either troll what the other troll would say when asked which door led to heaven. Either way, the door to heaven is the opposite of the answer.
0 Replies

indyjones35

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:26 pm
@C99,
You ask which way way the other troll would say is the wrong way. If you ask the truthful troll, he will tell the truth and tell you the other troll would say the right way is the wrong way.If you ask they lying troll, he will tell you a lie and tell you the other troll would say the right way is the wrong way. Either way the troll points you in the right direction.
0 Replies

ismbella

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:29 pm
This riddle appears in the movie "Labrinth" just a side tracked detail
0 Replies

sharone

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 08:12 pm
@C99,
whats the answer
0 Replies

lan-bookworm

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 12:05 pm
@C99,
I believe the answer is:
You would walk up to one of the trolls, point in the direction of the other and ask him: "Would that troll say that the door you are standing in front of is the heaven door?"
Whether or not, the troll you are talking to is the truth teller or the liar, the answer in this case:
If the troll you are talking to answers "No", then you are indeed talking to the troll that stands in front of the heaven door. If the troll you are talking to answers "Yes", then you are talking to the troll that stands in front of the door to hell.
If I am wrong, someone please correct me. For the love of all those people who read this before something ominous happens...
pmnelsonpm

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 09:21 pm
@lan-bookworm,
You have to look at the religious point of view basically the is answer is no matter the question one ask you will automatically go to heaven if you did good on earth and if you did bad on earth you will automatically go to hell.
0 Replies

mynameisasecret

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:07 am
@C99,
My question would be to one of the trolls 'Can you open the door please?' and if its hell... take the other door. duh.
0 Replies

Someman

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 07:09 pm
@C99,
It says u can ask one question but it never said u can't tell them to open the to heaven and tell them both
0 Replies

Austin B

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 03:49 pm
@C99,
OK you guys are all wrong. What you do is you ask one troll if both doors lead to heaven. If the troll that you asked answers "yes" then that door leads to hell. If the the troll you asked answers "no" then that one leaves to heaven. I know that he never stated which troll is guarding which door, but obviously God would put the troll that tells the truth in front of the heaven door, and Satin put the one that lies in front of the door that goes to hell. Ask yourself "why would god want the one that tells the truth guard the door to represent hell" and "why would Satin want the one that tells the lie guard the door to represent heaven" LOGIC
timur

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 03:54 pm
@Austin B,
Yeah but why would god put that kind of fabric guarding a door?
0 Replies

Swagzilla

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 08:20 pm
@C99,
i say ask the troll what color his/her shirt his if he/her lies than go to the other door.
0 Replies