The Film is Mightier than the Sword

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:03 pm
Just watched "......and Starring Pancho Villa as Himself."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337824/

It was as though I was looking at a rerun of the world today.

Just wish Zapata and Bierce had been mentioned Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,190 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:22 pm
I haven't seen the film, but must make some warnings.

One thing is the strange relationship between Villa and the filmmakers; another is the legend that Villa staged his battles in order to serve the filmmakers.

It is known that the "Centaur of the North" posed for some makeshift battle scenes, and often told the crew where to probably catch the best scenes.

I have read some preposterous claims about Villa practically taking orders from the film producers. All those claims came from Hollywood, and have been publicized for the big public. I hope the film is more true to history.

Remember, Pancho Villa raided Columbus, and later made General Pershing look real bad. He was the only person, before Osama Bin Laden, to attack US continental soil. I believe he has not been forgiven for the deed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:51 pm
fbaezer, whether the film is true to history or not, is not exactly the issue. I was just caught up in the presentation. I think my preoccupation with Mexico began with the song "South of the Border"...don't we always revert to the things with which we can identify? You, obviously know the history of Spain as well as Mexico. Somewhere in between lies a kernel of truth.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
The film was painstakingly researched right down to the close examination of the Hollywood hierarchy who made the film possible. It was closer to the truth than most historical dramas and it's such a outre part of history, I don't think they needed much embellishment!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:23 pm
Well, Mr. Wizard. I certainly know that you know. I swear to God that in the folklore of my family history, someone told me that my father fought with Pancho Villa. In my father's early days he was a rogue as I am given to understand. Nothing was mentioned of "black Jack" Pershing, but wasn't he involved in some way in the revolution?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:50 pm
Pershing was sent on a punitive mission to capture Villa but was withdrawnafter being unsuccessful. I believe that was made mention of in passing. Pershing and his small force never engaged Villa. Another example of our sticking our nose into the business of other countries?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:02 pm
Yes, I know. "Ours not to reason why.."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:00 pm
The forefathers warned against getting involved in foreign wars. Before Korea and Vietnam, we had to be drug in kicking and screaming. Now just a little phony evidence that they are about to attack us and...whoosh!

Anyway, this is the film forum so I digress.

Pancho Villa's success was short lived as the end of the film exposes. The regime fell but one just as bad took over. Sound familiar?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:03 pm
yes...very familiar, Mr. Wizard. That's what drew me to the film to begin with..

Goodnight from Florida
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:11 pm
Goodnight to you -- I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that's likely on his way out to the clubs in South Beach. He's going to be having fun while we're probably curled up with a good book.

And as I always say, "...or a friend who's read one."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
South Beach? Wasn't that where Versace was murdered? I remember wondering about Cunanan. Think something was wrong there. It's a very trendy section of Miami, now, Mr. Wizard.

Loved your remark about curling up with a friend who has read a good book. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:05 pm
Cunanan and Versace -- now there hangs a tail. I mean tale.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:11 pm
Laughing
0 Replies