Kill Bill

yeahman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 12:56 pm
the most violent bloody movie even put on film. i loved it.
tarantino is a genius. he stays true to his form by jumping back and forth creating mini-movies within the movie. his mix and match of every directing tool available to him is amazing. there's japanimation, black and white shots, bullettime, everything.
even though this is only volume 1 of a 2 volume movie (volume 2 will be released next year) because of his style of breaking movies into smaller subplots, you aren't left totally hanging at the end.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,167 • Replies: 87
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 01:07 pm
Definitely on my list to see. I heard from one friend who said the original Tarantino plan to do a four hour flick would have been fine for him. They will make more money this way, I think, breaking it up into two flicks.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 01:23 pm
i'm surprised the censors let this go with just an R rating. seems NC-17 to me. no nudity and just a little profanity but there's only about 5 mintues in the whole movie where you don't see pools of blood.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 01:43 pm
I hear it's mostly cartoon type violence though, and very stylized.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:23 pm
5 minutes without blood...surprising..on my list as well, glad a fellow fan thought it good enough to share thoughts on, now it will stay on my list and probably move up to the top
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 08:29 pm
Never heard of this,whats it about? who's in it?

By the way cav I'm warming to Dead like me. It takes a bit of getting used to though.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 08:48 pm
it's about an assasin (uma thurman) who is betrayed by her partners at her wedding and left for dead. problem is she survived and she's out for revenge. volume 2 concentrates on the post-wedding-slaughter recovery and her first 2 acts of revenge. there are 5 people on her revenge list.
the 1st one (1st in tarantino time but 2nd in chronological order) only takes up the 1st 10-15 mins of the movie. then it goes back to her recovery and the 2nd half of the movie is about her 1st act of revenge (1st in chronological order, 2nd in tarantino time). so the whole 2nd half of the movie takes place in japan where her target a yakuza boss (lucy lui) now operates. in fact the 2nd half of the movie is almost entirely in japanese with english subtitles.

this is the much anticipated 4th film by quintin taraninto. i wonder if volume 2 will be sold as his 5th. probably not. i'm assuming that volume 2 will uncover more about uma's past and the final 3 people on her revenge list including the last one; bill.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 08:54 pm
I've never been comfortable with sub titles ye110man, but I'll give it a go.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:04 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I hear it's mostly cartoon type violence though, and very stylized.

the violence is cartoonish like the itchy and scratchy cartoons from the simpsons. but it's not humerous. it's just so unrealistically violent and bloody. it's the type of violence where you cringe and say "ohhhh!" and there are a lot of those scenes.
the fighting style goes back and forth from american to hong kong use of strings. it's not at all consistant. it's gives off the sense of a semi-real world between our world and the crouching tiger world where you can fly up to a balcony but struggle getting over the railing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:14 pm
Does the movie have morality themes like Resivoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction?
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:45 pm
no not really. the theme is vengence and it is depicted as a virtue above all others. that point is really stressed a lot and so it justifies uma's actions.
there is one scene where one of the killers that betrays uma says "this girl deserves her revenge... and we deserve to die."
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:50 am
Ebert Review...
http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-killbill10f.html
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:25 am
kill bill volume 1 is one of those few movies that i'm gonna brave the lines for in order to see it on its first day here... been waiting for this one a while Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
I went to see it last night. It was not what I was expecting from Tarantino - it was way better. I was a massive fan of his first three films, and would have been satisfied, but slightly disappointed if it had been 'Pulp Fiction 2' - but the mix of styles, the action and everything was superb. The only downside I could see was that the dialogue was slightly lacking in parts - a bit obvious at times.

9.5/10 from me!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:49 pm
I have only scanned your posts just in case something in them may spoil the flick. Can't wait to see it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:04 am
I just saw it, and I'm with Grand Duke on the rating. It was excellent, and being a big fan of samurai flicks in general, this was a TOTALLY awesome tribute to the genre. Tarantino is a total movie geek. I thought it was funny as hell too. Also, unlike with some movies, the mixed media approach worked seamlessly here.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:06 am
Too much blood and gore freaks me out - oh me the one with a gentle disposition...
0 Replies

Corvette Summer

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 12:50 pm
Arrow
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 01:08 pm
I saw the movie last night...definitely dug it. Only downside was the theatre I saw it in sucks, and there was one person laughing out loud the whole time, seated right behind me. I wanted to take a samuri sword to his head.

There were no subtitles, though.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 01:34 pm
Hmm....most of the theatre were laughing out loud through most of the movie where we were. Come on, it was really funny....Slappy, weren't the Japanese-spoken scenes subtitled?
0 Replies