The Baseball Thread

Sturgis

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks for the news RP.

Rest comfortably on the big baseball field out there somewheres Mr.Padre, you'll be remembered fondly and for many years to come. You helped make baseball enjoyable, thank you.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:40 pm
I notice that UVA won their opening game is the college world series in Omaha last night. They defeated Mississippi 2-1. There may have been a coaching error by Ole Miss. UVA had a man on 2nd in the bottom of the 9th and the score tied with 2 out. UVA had their best hitter up - who also happens to rank high amongst all of the hitters in the world series.
They elected to pitch to the lad rather then issuing a meaningless intentional walk. He promptly pounded a deep 2 bagger.
The Cavs face TCU next is the double elimination first round.
panzade

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 02:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
I watched it too. Not sure how good the hitter was coming up after him.
Go Hoos!
panzade

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:41 pm
Break up the Royals!
8 in a row and they massacred Verlander to boot.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 07:11 am
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06/16/15/enhanced/webdr04/enhanced-buzz-5700-1402947084-16.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/usa-usa-usa-usa-usa
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:30 pm
@panzade,
UVA won again last night. It took 15 innings and neither team's batters had much success. But a win is a win.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 06:30 am
Kershaw throws no-hitter
A pair of Cy Young Awards, three straight major league ERA titles, a 20-win season - and now a no-hitter.
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 08:35 am
@panzade,
Man, did you see the break on that curve? It started out like from 12-o'clock and dropping to 6-o'clock. I think he only went to 3 ball count once in the game. Couple that changeup with a 94 mph fastball, slider etc., and you got a case where no one in MLB could touch what he was throwing yesterday. Let's call it Ryan-esque (Nolan Ryan).

Furthermore, I looked up Colorado Rockies team stats to see if they're a weak-hitting bunch. They're hardly easy marks at all. They've got 7 guys that hit around 300, or better. Topping that list of their hitters is Tulo who/whom is almost a 350 hitter. To say the least, this guy Kershaw is no flash-in-the-pan and this effort was not a fluke .

Lastly, the fielding for Dodgers was good (except for Hanley's error) but there was not some level of extraordinary gems either. This pitching feat was exceptional...by a great pitcher ... at the peak of his powers.
panzade

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 08:49 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Furthermore, I looked up Colorado Rockies team stats to see if they're a weak-hitting bunch.

It's a little deceptive 'cause the Rockies play in the most hitter-friendly park. Coors Field
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Still, no denying Kershaw is entering Koufax territory.
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 08:57 am
@panzade,
Not to put to fine a point on the achievement of this perfect game...

Wasn't the game pitched in LA...not Colorado? (eliminating the premium of the park-effect).

Whereas LA Dodgers park leans slightly towards a pitcher's park.

However, who knows what negative effect or the hang-over effect on the offense a team that typically goes from a high altitude environment to a reg altitude environment?
panzade

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:21 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
to see if they're a weak-hitting bunch.

All I was saying was that the Rockies BAs were a bit inflated...not to take anything away from Kershaw's feat.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:25 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
perfect game
it would have been the most dominant perfecto in MLB history, were it not for the throwing error by hanley ramirez...

R(15 K's)P
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 03:24 am
@panzade,
He's got big feat, too?
panzade

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 06:47 am
@Ragman,
http://www.kidshalloweencostumes4u.com/pimages/large/jumbo-rubber-feet.jpg
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 06:49 am
@panzade,
You know what they say about people with big feet, don't you?

They've got big shoes!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 04:05 pm
Wa-Hoo-Wa!
panzade

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 04:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/va/sports/genrel/auto_action/9173291.jpeg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 09:30 am
MLB trade deadline is coming up. Red Sawx should dump Peavey, Middlebrooks, Dubrount...and some of those infielders...could be nice and attractive trade package. They need to improve their porous unreliable defense, too. Sawx are like the girl with the curl in the middle of their forehead. Playoffs?

There was a little girl
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

There was a little girl,

Who had a little curl,

Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,

She was very good indeed,

But when she was bad she was horrid.

They have some very peculiar inconsistent offensive problems, too. Injuries and what not. Incidentally, bizarre behavior from Ortiz with arguing for a hit with the official scorer. Sometimes he scares me.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 05:22 pm

Brewers catcher Martin Maldonado knocks cover off ball (literally)...

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:07 am
Quote:
Stephen Strasburg Quitting Chewing Tobacco After Tony Gwynn’s Death

Tony Gwynn’s death hit very close to home for Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg.

Not only was Gwynn an icon in Strasburg’s hometown of San Diego during his 20 seasons with the Padres,
but the Hall of Famer also was Strasburg’s manager at San Diego State, where the right-hander developed
into arguably the most highly touted college pitcher of all time.

Now, upon learning that decades of chewing tobacco might have played a role in the cancer that eventually
killed his former skipper, Strasburg says he plans to give up dipping for good.

“I think it’s a disgusting habit, looking back on it,” Strasburg said Monday, via MLB.com. “I was pretty naive
when I started. Just doing it here and there, I didn’t think it was going to be such an addiction. … Bottom line
is, I want to be around for my family. This is something that can affect people the rest of your life. (Chewing
tobacco is) so prevalent in this game. It’s something we all kind of grew up doing.”
(nesn)

hoping more and more players follow suit and ditch the habit...